Septic installation question

trial&error

The Soil scientist performs a perc test.
Too much clay can ruin a site and cause it to not perc.
According to Polk county health department you do not do a perc test. Where you dig a hole and pour water and measure how long til it drains. You have a soil scientist do a soil morphology where they examine the different types of clay present and tell you where and how deep you must put your drain field. Mine had to be installed 6 ft deep due to varying clay topographies. https://polkcountyhealthcenter.org/septic-permits-and-inspections/

westcobbdog

WCD, I have probably looked at your listing. Lord knows I've probably looked at 500 properties in the last few months.

And I forgot to mention the owner said the property is very rocky but it's slate so it shouldn't be hard to dig through.

The adjoining property is an old county dump. I've been told from 2 sources that 20 ares can never be developed per EPA regulations but we're going to do more research on its history and potential environmental impact so close to where the house would be.

This is a lot what ifs trying to see if this is doable to make the wife happy.
Went under contract today, hooray!!

tree cutter 08

Perk test, soil test, soil scientist examination, whatever they want to call it. It's the same thing. Pay the man and let the county tell you what you can or can't do with your own property. Cost of a foundation nowadays is ridiculous.

bnew17

When I got my perk test on my house, it was middle of the summer and the poor lady , yep, was about to croak digging for the perk test. She refused any help. I was shocked when the spot didn't perk good. I felt bad and asked her if I could come by the office and grab a spare tool to try the different areas on the property (so she wouldn't have to)....but she would not let me. Eventually we found a spot that perked perfectly about 75 yards away. Based on my experience you can get a pretty good idea of what will perk and what will not on your own. Once you hit clay that is no good. Of course you will have to (and want to) get a true perk test, but if you are just curious this would be an option and could save you some time.

Latest posts