She never ceases to amaze me....

SouthGAHunter

Where do I start. Last year, the girl I've been dating for a yr and a half told me she wanted to go hunting with me. She went with me a few times and really said she enjoyed it. She has kept expressing increasingly more and more interest, so I've gotten her a little more involved. We have talked about everything from proper scouting to shot placement with bows and rifles to how to control scent and play the wind.

She has been chomping at the bit to get out in the woods this year and kill her first deer. She has so much on her plate right now that she has had a hard time finding a break in her schedule to get in the woods. This weekend was the first weekend she could get in the woods this year. I have spent the past few months showing her how to shoot, practicing, teaching her gun safety and proper handling, and shooting some more. Friday afternoon we got home and grabbed the rifle. Before we headed to the stand, we decided to put a few more in paper. I have been stressing SQUEAZING the trigger with her and I wanted to see if she was taking that into account. I did her kind of dirty....I put an empty shell in the gun and gave it to her :bounce:....when the gun clicked, she no more than blinked an eye, no jerk, lunge, nothing. Man was I proud. At only 5'4 and 110 soaking wet, I was afraid the .270 was gonna beat up on her, but she was trooper. A 2 inch group of 4 shells later, we headed out to the stand.

Friday evening was fast closing when I spotted a deer in the peanuts. I have eyes like a hawk and could BARELY see this deer. When I put the gun on it, I could tell it was a buck, and a DANG good one at that. I gave her the gun and told her "there's a deer right there" She struggled to get comfortable enough to pull the trigger for the next 5 minutes. She kept appologizing saying that she just couldn't get steady/see it good enough to shoot. Even though I was bummed she wasn't able to shoot, I was extremely pleased that she waited and passed on the deer because she wasn't comfortable with the shot. I couldn't tell her enough how glad I was and happy with her that she showed enough restraint and character by not taking a questionable shot. I stressed to her that it made me feel really good that she didn't want to take a shot unless she was sure of it.

On to Sat. morning. I'm always right, so of course I didn't listen to my brother when he told me what time it got daylight. I messed around, stopped and got a biscuit and was in no hurry to get to the woods. So, of course, we were late getting there. After a quick stop to drop off my brother, we parked the truck and started making our way thru the peanuts towards our stand. Half way across the field I noticed black spots on a low end of the field. I put the scope and them and comfirmed my suspicion. Hogs and quite a few of them. I made the quick decision that we had to take a shot from there. The wind was bad, they were feeding towards the edge of the field, and would be gone before we could cover much ground. I opened the chair we had, stuck it on the ground, and grabbed the camera tripod (I was hoping to get her first deer on film), and set the height so she could shoot off of it. She got steady, told me she was ready, and BBBBOOOMMMM........................................WHOP! The hog dropped and the rest cleared the field. I started laughing, I couldn't help it. She asked me what I was laughing at and I told her...."You smoked it!" Now before I get taken to the cleaners by everyone for letting her take a shot this far, let me just say that our property is loaded with hogs and our landowner has told us to shoot at every single one we have seen, he doesn't care if we kill it, "just put a bullet in it". I honestly didn't think she would hit the hog. I knew the gun was 6 inches low at 300 yards, so I told her to hold on the top of its body because the hog was 326 yards!!! :eek: I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it buy a parking ticket. I was the proudest boyfriend in the world. In my yrs of huting, I have never been so impressed with a shot, and never thought it would come from a 22 yr old woman. She was pumped up and was so excited that she had just killed her first critter. I was so impressed and pleased at such an awesome shot she put on the hog. She's one heck of a shot, put the bullet exactly where I told her to. We finished out our hunt, without seeing anything else. She was glowing and pumped so I don't think she minded too much.

Sorry for the long story, I'm just so proud and wanted to share.

Pics don't do the pig justice on how FAT it was. It was a chunk. Tip the scales just above 300 lbs.

Wilcox Co.
302 lb sow.
.270 140 gr. Hornady SST
326 yards.

Attachments

• kayla and matt 2.jpg
    kayla and matt 2.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 1,723

Arrow3

Great shot and a BIG hog!!!

marknga

GONetwork Member
Congratulations and what a great story.
Good shooting! Now go smoke some chops and get ready for that deer.

southwoodshunter

How what a hog... congrats to her and congrats to you for taking her & teaching her the ropes..
you will have alot of great memories in the woods together..:cheers:

wildcats

great read man...sounds like you have a keeper..congrats to the young lady and to you.

sman

Tell her congrats, couple more years and you need to tie that one down.

capt stan

Thats AWESOME!!! Congrats young lady!!! Keep knocking them down!

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Marry her! Now!