Shed buck question ?

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
What would be the legal way to tag a buck that had already shed its antlers ? Especially if you had already killed your 2 bucks . I know what I’d do just curious what everyone else thinks .

bullgator

Do you have antlerless tags?, or just Buck and doe.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I haven’t not yet. Don’t really shoot late season does.
I never rule anything out tho. It can happen. We did find a shed the last week of the season.

What would be the legal way to tag a buck that had already shed its antlers ? Especially if you had already killed your 2 bucks . I know what I’d do just curious what everyone else thinks .
Depending on the state it’s legal to tag a buck that has shed its antlers as anterless deer isn’t it ? I would say the right thing to do is be honest and learn from it. What ever the consequences may be.. mistakes happen and courts do work with folks on honest mistakes should it have to go that route…you learn a lot about folks and there character by how they do things when no one is looking or think will know…I would respect a person a lot more that is honest with people than one who is a sneak and criminal

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
I don't guess I've ever killed a Deer after about early December at the latest. Too many other critters to chase.

Gator89

I was present when a buck that had shed its antlers was killed on New Year's weekend in 1989 in Talbot county.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
The one in question was killed by my dad a couple days after Christmas . He just checked antlerless male . Really doesn’t matter I was just curious . And he didn’t really care , he was after meat . The other 2 he shot were both does . He just texted me and said bring buggy , 3 big does down .

bullgator

Then a buck that has shed should be antlerless.

johnpoulan83

Missed The Vote
Depending on the state it’s legal to tag a buck that has shed its antlers as anterless deer isn’t it ? I would say the right thing to do is be honest and learn from it. What ever the consequences may be.. mistakes happen and courts do work with folks on honest mistakes should it have to go that route…you learn a lot about folks and there character by how they do things when no one is looking or think will know…I would respect a person a lot more that is honest with people than one who is a sneak and criminal
Your telling me if you shot a buck thinking it was a doe and you walked up to it and saw his horns had fallen off , you would call and tell dnr you accidentally shot a buck and mistaken for a doe? I just find that hard to believe no matter who you are, crap happens if you hunt enough eventually it’s bound to happen especially shooting does late season

Sixes

From the regs

Antlers​

Antlerless deer are those having no visible antlers above the hairline (including “button bucks”) and may only be taken during either-sex or antlerless seasons or hunts. During “buck-only” hunts or seasons, a deer must have antlers visible above the hairline to be legal for harvest.

A shed buck nor a button buck fits the definition. No idea as to why it would be a choice on the App other than a way to keep up with button bucks.

Your telling me if you shot a buck thinking it was a doe and you walked up to it and saw his horns had fallen off , you would call and tell dnr you accidentally shot a buck and mistaken for a doe? I just find that hard to believe no matter who you are, crap happens if you hunt enough eventually it’s bound to happen especially shooting does late season
I use to think and do like you mentioned and gave those ways up many years ago. If I put myself in a position and make a mistake I will own that mistake period. I don’t hunt with those who choose to cut corners break laws and lie…in the giving scenario being mentioned, being it is a anterless deer having no visible antler above the hair line I would tag the deer as antlerless deer. People do make mistakes and that happens daily. I do still get excited shooting any deer however there is a major excitement difference between a big buck and a doe.. with that being said there would be no rush to have to shoot a “ so called doe” to have to hurrry and get a shot off. There generally is plenty of them. Hunting is not a competition and a status to be socially accepted and to boast about…. So I respectfully disagree with you…

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Great question ant
Actually last year on the last weekend of the season my bro in law shot what he thought was a doe over a foodplot.
Turned out it was a little buck that had lost little 1st year antlers.
I remembered we all discussed at the food plot how ta tag it!
I forgot how he tagged it though. It didn't matter much to him it was the only deer he shot for the season.
That was the only time I'd ever seen that.