Shed buck question ?

Blackston

Not one time. I've always known what Im shooting at 100% or I dont pull the trigger. I take far to many animals to risk taking one I didn't intend to.
Sometimes I’m deer huntin … and that’s it , I guess I’m in the minority but I’ve shot a doe only to find out it weren’t

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've never hunted anywhere that the season lasted long enough to kill a shed buck, I don't reckon. If I did, I'd call it an antlerless deer, because it is?

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Sometimes I’m deer huntin … and that’s it , I guess I’m in the minority but I’ve shot a doe only to find out it weren’t
You are not the minority I promise you that . I’ve been killing deer for 40 years and I can assure you my dad has killed several hundred and knows what he’s shooting and we’ve both made several mistakes . I don’t sweat it though , them button bucks and shed bucks eat pretty good ! Heck , I killed a button buck this season on accident

High road

I ran into this the last day off the season. I was going to take a small buck the last day. Yes I saw bucks but 2 were older ones that had already shed and another only had a spike left on 1 side. I decided to pass because I did not want to shoot him and his only antler fall off. I was afraid if he ran after the shot it would fall off and I wouldn't be able to find it. It would be hard to explain because antlerless season was over.
I think the zero degree temps at Xmas had something to do with it. This is in the mts and we also had no acorns. It may have kicked them into survival mode.

I’m usually done hunting by late December and have killed piles of deer in my years of hunting. Bunch of button heads I thought were does. Never have shot a shed buck mainly because I am no longer hunting in late season when they drop. Either I have tagged out or burnt out one the two

SarahFair

Just wanted to chime in because I took the hunters safety course with my son earlier this year and asked the DNR this exact question, he said it is considered an antlerless deer.

They also went over shooting the "wrong" deer several times and said that they know mistakes happen and it's better to immediately be upfront and honest with them than to try and hide it.

johnpoulan83

Missed The Vote
First deer I ever killed hunting by myself was a buck that had already shed his horns. The rut whefe I was hunting happens in June down here in Florida and I was hunting the last weekend of season . Thought I had shot a big doe at 150 yards only to walk up and seein he was a buck that had shed already. It Happens a lot especially with button bucks when your shooting distances 100-150 yards plus