Shift work ?

ucfireman

If your wife doesn't work.....2nd shift can be the easiest on your body.

If she does....then day shift is where it's at.

In 6 more years I hope to work no shifts. :rofl:
I got 5 years and 4 months. I hope to not "have" to work. Stock market need to come back before I can. And I may have to for the health insurance, its outrageous.

I worked nights (6pm-6am) for 27 years. Went to days (6am-6pm) and to be honest I prefer nights. This is a 5-2-2-5 work schedule.

But I only have a year and 6 months to be able to retire, so I can put up with it for that long.

A young man with kids, I would take 1st shift.
I would love a schedule like that, the company I'm at wouldn't even entertain that, even though it would benefit them.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
My question is what are your days off choices? My off days are Tuesday and Wednesday. I work 5:30 am to 2 pm Thursday and Friday, then afternoons sat Sun and mon. It is very inconvenient in many ways, but the pros far outweigh the cons for me, personally. I plan to remain on this schedule til I can retire.
As far as the shifts go, it is a personal choice. Either shifts can be the best, it just depends on what your activities are. I’ve worked them all and for me, I like the overnights if the shifts are all the same hours vs mixed. I know you already discounted them, BUT! Overnights allow you to do stuff in the AM after work, or in the evening before work. The other two shift don’t offer the flexibility. Typically no one is open on the overnights…..but if you thermal hunt, or poach well then.
Days off ? that’s hilarious ! I’m up to 24 pto days . And all holidays , even added Juneteenth this year ? . The auto industry has been some kind of crazy since we started back after the Covid shutdown . Honestly I may of been off 5 days in the last 3 months .
Typically it’s M-F 40 hrs with a Saturday or 2 added per month . I’ve pretty much settled on 1st I think

antharper

Staff member
Ant
I gotta know. Do you really care what we think?

The one(s) who’s opinion matters is right there at home.
Great answer , thanks milkman ! And I do enjoy hearing everyone’s opinions . A lot of wisdom shared on this forum , from some of the best people anywhere . I for sure discussed it with my wife first . The only shift she doesn’t like is nights . She said she’ll learn to like whatever I like .
And my daughter is 19 , between work , school and a boyfriend she’s well on her way to her own life .
I’ve pretty much settled on 1st shift

antharper

Staff member
I like deer and turkey hunting in the evenings. That combined with the probability of the daylight savings time being locked in soon, it’s a no brainer if it were me. Choose first.
The daylight savings time being locked was one of my first thoughts also . I like hunting anytime I can go but there’s always been something about watching and listening to the woods wake up at daylight that’s always made mornings my favorite

antharper

Staff member
I would go for the 2nd shift. Hunt mornings. Most will go for 1st shift and get disappointed ☹️.
Well after a lot of thinking and talking it over with my family I took your advice . For anyone with a lot of seniority like myself it looks like it will be easy to swap if I hate it .

bany

??

SC Hunter

First, all day every day. I’m a early bird and my folks are not. That’d leave plenty of afternoon for family, hunting and chores. If the FD paid an actual living wage my 24/48 would be the best schedule bar none.
I left the fire department and went to work on an ambulance because of the pay. Also with the department I was at they have Mando OT and their getting killed with ot now. I've been on a county based ambulance 24/48 with a Kelly on Saturdays for 5 years now and make 53k a year. I have a good boss, great partner and we don't get absolutely ran in the dirt. It's almost the perfect schedule for us. Perfect would be having 10 million in the bank and not have to work. Haha

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I liked midnight shift when I was a beat cop because you could got to court after shift then go home.

But in a factory I’d probably like the
2:30-10:45 cause I’m a night owl and cannot stand to get up early. Which is a big reason I’m not a duck hunter :biggrin2:

But most of my adult life I didn’t have set hours and if I had to go to that kind of schedule it would probably kill me

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
My daughter is adjusting to night shift now. She's a new RN. 12 hr shifts. Her first 6 weeks or so were day shift during orientation. At her hospital night shift pays more.
I worked shift work for many years. We never got paid any more for night shift. :bounce:

Hillbilly stalker

My daughter is adjusting to night shift now. She's a new RN. 12 hr shifts. Her first 6 weeks or so were day shift during orientation. At her hospital night shift pays more.
I worked shift work for many years. We never got paid any more for night shift. :bounce:
We didn’t either. But our job is different than most. Considering on our day off we had court both municipal and circuit , training, implied consent hearings, mandatory on call duty ( no extra pay). Weird schedules for sure, wouldn’t wish it on anyone.

AllTerrainAngler

I will always prefer 12’s. Been doing them for 7 years now. Recently promoted to sergeant so the big downside is less time off. Also moved precincts so I can’t leave from work and be in the blind as quick. Went from 15 minutes to an hour+.