Shift work ?

B. White

I worked either rotating or 2nd or 3rd from '88-'07. There was one line where you worked all three shifts in one week and did that for a month. I could do all of them as needed, but now I don't sleep like I used to, so I go to bed early to compensate for days when I will be wide awake long before daylight.

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
1st, you get off and could head out for vacation, hunt club or whatever. 2nd you get off about bedtime then you'll be waiting till the next day to.... IMO

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
30 yrs of shift experiences, most times shift I choose was because of the shift function. 11p-7a was a mostly maintenance oriented shift but did change over time. As a technician I enjoyed getting to work on the equipment from that perspective. Off hour tours like that and the 3p-11p tour had $1 hr night differential as well. Every little bit helped. "4 -12's" was at times an incentive too. I worked with and managed individuals who spent 40 yrs exclusively on night shifts. Most chose it. Craft was covered by a collective bargaining agreement and life was based on seniority. At NO time was everyone happy with the shift they were on. :)

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Been working shifts my whole life.

Always liked 2nd best in military, police, and railroad.

Handled 3rd with two naps a day, never did like it.

Now, I work 1st exclusively, because I can. 0630-1430. Better for family.

If it was just me, I'd live on 2nd. I can work 2nd and be up with the rooster, giving me all morning for whatever.

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
Worked 14 months on graveyard shift. It ain't for me. 2nd shift was ok, but my preference is 1st. Go to sleep with my wife, get up, work, come home at decent time to do stuff in the afternoon or evening my favorite 1st shift is when I can work 5am to 1:30pm if that is an option.

I’ve rotated all kinds of crazy shifts. My wife works nights. Shift differential for nursing is 5$ week night and 7.50$ on weekend nights. I didn’t mind working nights in the shop but I’m not on my tools anymore. I’d prefer days or 1st. I generally work 5-1500. Every other weekend is 4 days off.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
My question is what are your days off choices? My off days are Tuesday and Wednesday. I work 5:30 am to 2 pm Thursday and Friday, then afternoons sat Sun and mon. It is very inconvenient in many ways, but the pros far outweigh the cons for me, personally. I plan to remain on this schedule til I can retire.
As far as the shifts go, it is a personal choice. Either shifts can be the best, it just depends on what your activities are. I’ve worked them all and for me, I like the overnights if the shifts are all the same hours vs mixed. I know you already discounted them, BUT! Overnights allow you to do stuff in the AM after work, or in the evening before work. The other two shift don’t offer the flexibility. Typically no one is open on the overnights…..but if you thermal hunt, or poach well then.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Bfriendly beat me to it. Good question, what's the days of work ta days off pattern?
If it's work mon-fri and off on weekends then i got no idea what I would do.
If it's like 3 on 2 off then 2 on 3 off kinda pattern then I'd pick 1st shift. Days off to hunt with family and yer new lil buddy, and other days to hunt by yerself.
With the job market like it is ant just tell em you'll get there between 10 and 11 and you'll be done between 5 and 7. They might say "yes sir that'll do fine"

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Not a chance this shift change will wait till pre turkey season when after the challenge picks teams?
If so I'd have pin point accuracy advice on which shift you need!

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
First, all day every day. I’m a early bird and my folks are not. That’d leave plenty of afternoon for family, hunting and chores. If the FD paid an actual living wage my 24/48 would be the best schedule bar none.

sghoghunter

When I worked on shifts like that I started out on 2nd and learned real fast I didn’t like that one. Tried 3rd (11to 7)and loved it. I would take a nap during the day then I’d sleep for a few hours right before I went in. That was also my rutting years so not much sleep needed

ucfireman

I'd go 1st.
I'm not a early riser.
I loved the FD 24/48 and got to get some sleep and 2 days off. After getting fired I went to a private ambulance service. WAY BETTER PAY and chose a 20/52 ( same as FD just fewer hours). I hate it, You never get back to sleep so 1st day off is catching up on sleep. And nothing to eat late. It was 1000-0600 every 3rd.
I'm swapping to 12 hour shifts, its a rotating shift.
Week 1, work M,T, off W,Th, work F, S, S.
Week 2 off M,T, work W,Th, off F,S,S.
The week starts on Sat so its 36 hrs week one and 48 week 2. And every other weekend off.
I purposed a W,Th,F,S,S,M,T work, then off the next 7 , Still 36/48 per week but they said no.

First, all day every day. I’m a early bird and my folks are not. That’d leave plenty of afternoon for family, hunting and chores. If the FD paid an actual living wage my 24/48 would be the best schedule bar none.
Best shifts out there unless you get a 24/72 (Colorado is doing that).
I was making 56K after 15 years and 3 promotions. But had tons of time off.
I'm making 70K with as much OT as I want. Just have to plan my time off. And work the system. Take 2 days off at regular pay and work 2 extras at OT or "bonus".

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
I'd go 1st.
I'm not a early riser.
I loved the FD 24/48 and got to get some sleep and 2 days off. After getting fired I went to a private ambulance service. WAY BETTER PAY and chose a 20/52 ( same as FD just fewer hours). I hate it, You never get back to sleep so 1st day off is catching up on sleep. And nothing to eat late. It was 1000-0600 every 3rd.
I'm swapping to 12 hour shifts, its a rotating shift.
Week 1, work M,T, off W,Th, work F, S, S.
Week 2 off M,T, work W,Th, off F,S,S.
The week starts on Sat so its 36 hrs week one and 48 week 2. And every other weekend off.
I purposed a W,Th,F,S,S,M,T work, then off the next 7 , Still 36/48 per week but they said no.

Best shifts out there unless you get a 24/72 (Colorado is doing that).
I was making 56K after 15 years and 3 promotions. But had tons of time off.
I'm making 70K with as much OT as I want. Just have to plan my time off. And work the system. Take 2 days off at regular pay and work 2 extras at OT or "bonus".
I’ve got 19 years in with 26 days off a year, until today. Just found out the city has taken our holidays and will only pay double pay for those working the actual holiday. We are gonna fight it with a lawyer if need be since they’ve changed our conditions of employment. May not get anywhere with it, but I sure hate to give up 14 holidays. Time off and benefits is about the only thing keeping me there.

Dub

I’ve worked at same job for 13 years now and rotated 3 shifts , we rotate every 4 weeks . We’ve recently done a shift study and it looks like we’ll be going to set shifts the first of the year . I’m really torn on which to pick , my wife hates 3rd so it will be first or second . First is 6:45am-2:45pm second starts at 2:30pm-10:45pm .
If I had young kids it for sure wouldn’t be 2nd and my wife works from home . Which would you pick and why ?

If your wife doesn't work.....2nd shift can be the easiest on your body.

If she does....then day shift is where it's at.

In 6 more years I hope to work no shifts. :rofl:

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Ant
I gotta know. Do you really care what we think?

The one(s) who’s opinion matters is right there at home.

buckpasser

I like deer and turkey hunting in the evenings. That combined with the probability of the daylight savings time being locked in soon, it’s a no brainer if it were me. Choose first.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
First. Because your wife is home and most likely her work day is first. You’re both off at a decent hour all week.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
I worked nights (6pm-6am) for 27 years. Went to days (6am-6pm) and to be honest I prefer nights. This is a 5-2-2-5 work schedule.

But I only have a year and 6 months to be able to retire, so I can put up with it for that long.

A young man with kids, I would take 1st shift.