Shooting the Ruger Blackhawk

Does anyone else have trouble shooting a Ruger Blackhawk well? I have changed to a packmayer presentation grip and a one ragged hole peep sight. It helped some, but I am just terrible with this revolver. I have an old Ruger Security six that I can shoot well enough, but the Blackhawk not so much. I'm sure it's me and not the gun, just wondering if anyone else struggles with SA Rugers or has any tips to shoot them better. I haven't given up on being a cowboy yet!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I loved the SBH I had, and shot it better than most of my pistols. I did change the western-style grip out to soft Hogues with fingergrips. I hope somebody is enjoying it now since the methhead toted it off from my house a few years ago.

I just wish I could shoot it as well as my Ruger mrk11. I can empty the mag into a steel gong at 30 yards as fast as I can pull the trigger, then I pick up the Blackhawk and struggle to hit the 8 inch plate. I know I'm letting the barrel drop down and away as the hammer falls. Just don't understand why this gun gives me fits.

Last edited:

Chase4556

My buddy has a super Blackhawk in 44mag... we are not very good shots with it either. I have a S&W 686 .357 back home that I'm dead on with, but this Blackhawk is something else. Probably doesn't help that if you try to loosen up your grip the dang thing wants to fly out of your hands. You are not alone. haha

May suggest he swaps to a Hogue grip or something of the sort and see if it helps us out.

B. White

I'm not very consistent with my 44. I haven't shot it in a while, but doubt things have changed much. Much of it is probably my fault, since I should load some lighter rounds and practice a while and then find what shoots best. The 45 or 10mm is just more fun, so I shoot them regularly.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
the shape of the rear strap of the grip tends to cause the Blackhawk to want to rotate the muzzle of the gun upward and the grip to slip downward in your hand. It helps to lessen the felt recoil, but doesn't do a lot for accuracy. A different grip may help, or learning to reposition your grip before you fire again.

Btw, I love my Blackhawks and my Redhawks, but I shoot my Redhawks better than the Blackhawks

transfixer

I've owned a couple blackhawks and super blackhawks in the past, and never have been able to shoot any of them what I would consider well. I am a better than average pistol shot also, as Chase mentioned, I also had a 686 with 6in barrel that I could shoot extremely well with. Something about the balance/or lack thereof on the Rugers have never felt right to me, too top heavy or something ? I currently have a Pietta SAA 45colt that I can shoot very well, so its not a single action thing with me, its just a Ruger thing I guess ?

I know the guns are capable. I'm sure it's my mechanics. Just wonder if there is more to it. Is the lockup time much slower than say a 1911? Is it all in the grip?

tree cutter 08

I've got the 3 5/8 stainless 44 mag blackhawk. One of the most accurate pistols I've shot. Did a trigger job so that helped a lot. I shot a yote with it last season at 45 or 50 yards.

Darkhorse

I've had a SBH 7.5" barrel since '79 and it still feels unwieldy compared to other pistols. The pistol is capable of excellent accuracy once you learn to shoot it and ignore the blast and recoil.
It takes regular practice to master it in .44 magnum so I think it's vital that one reload for it. You can load lighter rounds with less recoil for practice and you can load more, cheaper, than factory rounds.
Change grips. Hogue or Pachmeyer whichever fits you best.
Get a trigger job.
Learn how to grip the pistol.
Shoot it a lot.
I have a Ruger Single Six with 6." barrel and at 20 yards I can shoot the center out of a bullseye. Shooting this pistol really helps with the SBH.
But nothing feels like the SBH so it takes a lot of practice.
FWIW I've known a lot of good shooters who couldn't master the Ruger SBH in .44 mag. so don't feel like the long ranger.

Red350SS

I feel your pain...I have (had) a Ruger 44 mag SBH and a Ruger 41 mag BH....I can shoot eyes out with the BH....the SBH, not so much....I cant see the .41 to .44 difference being the reason....

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I have a BH in .45LC with the .45acp cylinder. It is nice to shoot, but it doesn't have the power of the .44 mag. I do have some handloads and XTP ammo that will make you sit up and take notice when you fire it.

BriarPatch99

My brother has a Ruger .44 may BK 7.5" . .. I can't hit a big bull in the rump with it ... However I can do a anal probe with the S&W .44 magnum 6" on the same bull . .. Just two differing guns that have different styles of shooting ...

We did have a Single Six .22/.22 mag that I shot really well with ... Maybe the recoil style is the problem for me ...

treemanjohn

Banned
I just hate shooting big bore pistols.I do have a Redhawk that I'm very good with, but it's not enjoyable in the slightest. I never look forward to shooting it. I'm not recoil sensitive It's just no fun so I don't spend the time getting great with it. That said I have a friend that can take my pistol and walk the dog with it. milk jugs at 150 yards explode

killerv

I picked up a 4in sp101 a few months back, tried some self defense 357mag loads in it...I wasn't able to shoot all 5, way worse recoil than my 629 which really isn't bad at all.

Some handguns you will just shoot better than others. I can't hit squat with my G19, but I shoot my M&P 9s well.Sold a Mkii 6 7/8 barrel gun because I couldn't shoot it, but for some reason could shoot a mki I picked up great. Who knows.

Anvil Head

Sounds like a grip issue combined with apparent recoil. Tune the trigger, change the grips (made some custom grips for mine - small hands) and lighter loads for practice. These will make a huge diff.

I like the gun. I feel like the 4 5/8" has good ballance. I have found the frame screws loosen up quickly. Can't help accuracy. Really want to be proficient with the gun. I purchased it to hunt with, but haven't gotten the confidence to use it yet. I haven't become a better shot with age but I am more confident about when I will miss.

TJay

I love the Blackhawk in the Bisley configuration especially with the heavy hitters. I had my Bisley Blackhawk barrel cut down to 5 1/2" makes it handle better.

SASS249

First, are you talking Blackhawk or super blackhawk? If Blackhawk what caliber? I suspect since you mentioned cowboy that you are talking about 45 colt. Several things you shoul do.

Firt get an action job done. Plenty of info on how to do it yourself. You want a clean crisp triger break.

Second, what ammo are you using? Start with some of the reduced cowboy loads if you do not reload yourself. If you reload find a nice mild load to practice with.

Third, shoot it a lot. Develop a stron two-hand hold. With the right ammo you should be able to shoot 50 or more rounds with comfort. Once you get comfortable with it you can begin to load some hotter rounds.

I shoot a LOT of single action revolvers. Most of mine are colts or colt clones and in 45 colt they are a joy to shoot. However, hands down my 45 colt blackhawk is the most accurate and with the right handloads is well in the 44 mag range.

Single actions take some getting used to but they are a lot of fun.

biggdogg

First, are you talking Blackhawk or super blackhawk? If Blackhawk what caliber? I suspect since you mentioned cowboy that you are talking about 45 colt. Several things you shoul do.

Firt get an action job done. Plenty of info on how to do it yourself. You want a clean crisp triger break.

Second, what ammo are you using? Start with some of the reduced cowboy loads if you do not reload yourself. If you reload find a nice mild load to practice with.

Third, shoot it a lot. Develop a stron two-hand hold. With the right ammo you should be able to shoot 50 or more rounds with comfort. Once you get comfortable with it you can begin to load some hotter rounds.

I shoot a LOT of single action revolvers. Most of mine are colts or colt clones and in 45 colt they are a joy to shoot. However, hands down my 45 colt blackhawk is the most accurate and with the right handloads is well in the 44 mag range.

Single actions take some getting used to but they are a lot of fun.

Not much more you can add. The grip on the single action takes a lot of practice to get used to. The SBH wants to roll in your palm from the recoil.