Ruger Blackhawk accuracy

scott stokes

Any one around Dahlonega or Murrayville a good shot with Ruger revolver?
I can’t hit anything with iron sights.
I don’t know if it’s me or the gun. I can’t shoot semiautomatic pistol very accurately.
Wanting to find someone to shoot them and see if it’s me.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
I’ve got a red dot on my redhawk. I’m accurate enough to kill a deer at 50 yards with it. I haven’t carried it to the woods yet

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Them old things won’t shoot worth a flip. Y’all would be better off to haul em down here and I’ll dispose of them for you, no charge. I got suckered into buying some myself years ago, I just keep them to remind myself of my foolishness.

coolbreezeroho

Just curious have you tried shooting off a sand bag or some other kind of rest ? Also different ammo will shoot different also . I've had different lots of the same ammo shoot way ...way different. Had some cor loks that were for a 30.06 150 gran that I had four boxes of and they were 2 of one lot and then 2 boxes of a different lot and the difference was about 4 inches at 100 yards. Me and a friend were shooting and went to a new box and he grabbed a box of the different lot. Shot one round and pulled it I told him. Shooting off a lead sled. We left to eat after that shot. When I went back to the range in two weeks I saw that he had grabbed the different lot. Shot the one box of the lot we had been shooting and it was dead on again. Shot that box down to 10 left for hunting and shot about 5 or 6 out of the different lot all of them were 4 inches to the left .....Made a believer out of me. For the lots to be different something had to change in the loading process...

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
I’m carrying on my usual drivel Scott. Pay no attention to my remarks, I am a big fan of Ruger single actions. I am a fair shot only. Many years ago I was shooting far to the left and finally realized that as I squeezed the trigger I was actually making a fist. When that became obvious to me my shooting changed very much for the better. Think about your technique or better yet ask a friend that shoots well to evaluate your form. A bystander can sometimes help you realize a deficiency that you can’t see. Also when I started I was afraid of the noise and recoil, I overcame that also. Keep at it you’ll be fine.

Big7

The Oracle
Them old things won’t shoot worth a flip. Y’all would be better off to haul em down here and I’ll dispose of them for you, no charge. I got suckered into buying some myself years ago, I just keep them to remind myself of my foolishness.
Same thing I was going to suggest except I was going to PICK THEM UP for the guy.
:whip::bounce:

scott stokes

Thanks guys. I got good bit of time behind them today. I am pulling for sure. I got the 45 colt shooting in about 8” circle and the 41mag. The 45 colt I was shooting 6” with full power loads.there all blackhawks.
The 44mag is super Blackhawk and I was 5-6” circle.All at 50yards.The s&w 500 scoped with 10 1/2” barrel ported was about 2 1/2” group .
I got reload some more now. I might get it if I keep shooting .
Thanks everyone.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Thanks guys. I got good bit of time behind them today. I am pulling for sure. I got the 45 colt shooting in about 8” circle and the 41mag. The 45 colt I was shooting 6” with full power loads.there all blackhawks.
The 44mag is super Blackhawk and I was 5-6” circle.All at 50yards.The s&w 500 scoped with 10 1/2” barrel ported was about 2 1/2” group .
I got reload some more now. I might get it if I keep shooting .
Thanks everyone.
Keep at it, if you’re not reloading it’s another way to spend money, but rewarding too.

GunnSmokeer

A 1980s era Ruger Blackhawk in .357, but using .38 spl loads, was THE hands-down most accurate handgun I've ever fired. Beat a Colt National Match Gold Cup, several S&W revolvers with 4" and 6" barrels, Glocks, 1911's, etc. BUT, this was back in the early 1990s when my eyes were young and I was good with open sights. Now I really don't do that well unless I have some type of optic.

Anvil Head

Just practice shooting the .45 Long, load lighter "cowboy" rounds until you get more comfortable with the gun. The Ruger .45 will shoot just as tight as most any wheel gun. Once you get dialed in, then start working up your heavier hunting loads.
I knock the dirt off hogs at 50yds quite regularly with factory iron sights. If they are further out I bust them with my Henry using the same loads. Match made in Heaven for me.

Robust Redhorse

In 1986, my college roommate and I (North Georgia College in Dahlonega) both bought .44 Magnums.

He bought a Ruger Redhawk.
I bought a S&W 629.

We couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with that Ruger.
The S&W shot great.

I really like Ruger firearms and own several, but I've experienced 2 that were craptastic from the factory.

Latest posts