Thoughts On The FNH 5.7X28 Cartridge?

Big7

The Oracle
Anybody shoot the FNH 5.7X28 cartridge?

I have shot the P-90 and whatever FN model pistol it originally came out in.

A buddy of mine had one and I shot cans with the P-90 and the pistol. We were just messing around and didn't have any targets. I remember it being fun to shoot and I imagine it would be good in an M4 or mountain size bolt gun. Savage chambers it in the Model 25 Varminter.

I mentioned in another thread I saw a
NIB Ruger 57 pistol at a gun store disguised as a pawn shop in Winder last Monday.

Felt good and really light weight plus it's a Ruger.
Was about $650 and I have seen them for $750 or a little more.

What do y'all think?
I need another gun like a boar needs teats but might have to have this one.

Dub

I can understand the appeal, although I've never been bit by the bug.

I did shoot a couple mags through an FN model. Flat shooting and will make accurate hits well beyond my ability to utilize the sights clearly. :rofl:

It's not a round that I'd ever carry or hunt with, thus the low interest from me....but, I can see where they'd be fun.

Big7

The Oracle
I can understand the appeal, although I've never been bit by the bug.

I did shoot a couple mags through an FN model. Flat shooting and will make accurate hits well beyond my ability to utilize the sights clearly. :rofl:

It's not a round that I'd ever carry or hunt with, thus the low interest from me....but, I can see where they'd be fun.
The Secret Service uses them to protect the prezz but with boolits unavailable to the public.

And they make an AP version for the military but they are unavailable to the public as well.

The ballistics are impressive.

Big7

The Oracle
Looking up now how the 5.7 compares to the 4.6 out of the HK MP-7.

bighonkinjeep

The Secret Service uses them to protect the prezz but with boolits unavailable to the public.

And they make an AP version for the military but they are unavailable to the public as well.

The ballistics are impressive.
Just like " Black Talons" Plenty of those cartridges available if your pockets are deep enough.

bullgator

I guess it’s ok if you don’t reload. They’re a pain in the butt to reload for several reasons. It’s ballistically similar to a .22 hornet in a modern case design.

I have several boxes of Black Talons in various calibers.

Big7

The Oracle
I guess it’s ok if you don’t reload. They’re a pain in the butt to reload for several reasons. It’s ballistically similar to a .22 hornet in a modern case design.

I have several boxes of Black Talons in various calibers.
Those thin necks will give you mucho problemo for sure but if I do get one it will be the Ruger 57 and I don't chase auto pistol brass anyway.

bullgator

Those thin necks will give you mucho problemo for sure but if I do get one it will be the Ruger 57 and I don't chase auto pistol brass anyway.
It’s not the neck. The two issues I had trying to help a friend load some was the lacquer coating on the cases. It needs to stay on. If you remove it by pin tumbling it will get stuck in the die. The other problem is, by design, they chambers allow the shoulder to stretch forward .040-.070”. That’s a lot of sizing needed since just about all other case shoulders only move no more than .005”.

Big7

The Oracle
It’s not the neck. The two issues I had trying to help a friend load some was the lacquer coating on the cases. It needs to stay on. If you remove it by pin tumbling it will get stuck in the die. The other problem is, by design, they chambers allow the shoulder to stretch forward .040-.070”. That’s a lot of sizing needed since just about all other case shoulders only move no more than .005”.
Did not know that.

Thanks

trial&error

They sell an ar upper that takes p90 mags on top and ejects through the regular magwell. I have considered it several times, I think the real appeal would be in a full auto.