short barrels on a shot gun

chase870

Possum Sox
Any thoughts on 3.5 inch loads in a 20 inch barrel? Having the forcing cone lengthened and a 3.5 inch chamber cut. I don't know if it will help with recoil but it should help with the pattern.

Hillbilly stalker

This right here comes to mind. :biggrin2: You better hang on to that rascal when you bust one off. I cut off an old Stevens single barrel to 20 inches one time (3 inch) and had it threaded for Remington chokes so I would have a light weight turkey gun. I shot it one time at the range. I was sitting in the gravel and shot off my knees. It slid my 275 lb. tail back and watered both eyes. I decided right then and there I wasn't that mad at a turkey after all. My gunsmith told me lengthening the forcing cone would not improve the shot pattern...that had been debunked in theory. I've shot a lot of slugs thru a improved cylinder with a 18 inch barrel in a 870, four or five of those in a row is enough. 1670378945513.png

longrangedog

Recoil is the greatest factor in poor marksmanship. Heavy recoil leads to anticipation of the gun firing which leads to actions we almost unconsciously take (tensing muscles, rearward movement of upper body, closing eyes, etc.) which are detrimental to hitting the target. Getting rid of a "flinch" is difficult.

WishboneW

I have a 20 inch factory Remington factory barrel for a 11-87.

Every turkey I have shot with it I have had to chase down. 3” copper plated #5 shot @ 30 or less yards.

My 870 with 26” barrel will peel the bark off a red oak @ 40 yards. Killed every turkey I have shot with it bang several flops. Same shells.

Just bought a used 28” barrel for the 11-87. Doves only here on out with it.

I think the shorter barrel reduces the kinetic energy of the shells. Patterns real good though.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
As long as barrels are choked the same 2", 4", or 6" of more or less barrel doesn't effect patterns.
I've done a lot of turkey load testing and the 18.5" to 21" barrels pattern as tight as the 24" and 26".
The equivalent to the length of a dollar bill is not goin to disperse vast amounts of pellets.
With todays wads and chokes barrel lengths do not factor in like they did many years ago when shot wasn't contained in wads.

Robust Redhorse

I did the calculation on 3 1/2" factory loaded 12-gauge with a 2 ounce load versus a .30/06 rifle of the same weight shooting 180g factory loads.

The recoil of the shotgun was about equal to 4 - 30/06's being shot simultaneously.

Make sure that shotgun is Heavy and well padded, or you will have a hard time shooting it enough to be confident in the way it patterns.

chase870

Possum Sox
Here is the update. The forcing has been lengthened and the chamber cut to 3.5 inches. I have been playing with Winchester #4 Buck 2 3/4 at 25 to 30 yards. I also shot a few Dead Coyote #4 Buck 3-inch loads at 40 yards with pretty satisfactory results usually 2 to 5 pellets in a kill zone as best I can tell. I will test the 54-pellet count 3.5-inch load when I get my hands on some more. Recoil with the 2 3/4- and 3-inch loads isn't too bad'
I pulled into the driveway the other day and noticed a coyote in my back yard and just so happened to have the Coyote shotgun in the truck. I chambered a round if 3-inch Dead Coyote and eased up to a tree between me and the Yote, and just looked around it with the gun shouldered and sent a load of #4's down range. I knocked the yote down and put it in the death spin I was kind of shocked since it was a longer shot than I would normally shoot, I failed to take the follow up shot the death spin usually seals the deal and the Yote made it into the thicket nearby never found him but did get a pretty decent amount blood. I stepped it off and it was 65 yards plus or minus. I had several puddles this size.

Attachments

• IMG_0426.jpg
    IMG_0426.jpg
    437.5 KB · Views: 38

rosewood

Want to mention 3.5" loads are higher pressure (14k) than 3 and 2 3/4 (11.5k). Need to make sure your barrel/gun is rated for the higher pressures.

rosewood

forcing cone work will help with recoil
Not sure this will help recoil, but may lower pressures since there is more room for expansion. Recoil is based on payload weight, payload velocity and gun weight. Pressure isn't part of equation.

earlthegoat2

The length of the barrel won’t affect pattern. Just noise and point ability.

As far as recoil and 3 1/2” shells go, the Remington SP-10 (10 gauge) could come with a 21” factory barrel so once again? I see no problem with this configuration on a 12 ga.

The need for 3 1/2” shells may draw a few questions from the peanut gallery but not from me.

Latest posts