short but scientific vid focusing on Creationist cliches

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I found that ^ to be alot more fun than jogging.
Although, now my body is being held together with band aids and bondo so maybe it wasnt the wisest choice :bounce:
If I am jogging, it means that I am out of ammo.

ambush80

The multiverse might theoretically be possible, but the current reality-based universe we inhabit has plenty of mystery to keep us busy exploring it for a long, long time to come.
As for anything we can imagine being possible, is everything we can imagine probable? My five-year-old granddaughter comes up with some wild ideas, but she's never fleshed them out to fruition yet.
I think it is.

oldfella1962

I think it is.
It would be great if eventually someone does prove that a multiverse exists. Even if they can't figure out exactly how it works - and who would expect them to? - just to have something tangible to start examining would be a Nobel Prize level discovery.

ambush80

It would be great if eventually someone does prove that a multiverse exists. Even if they can't figure out exactly how it works - and who would expect them to? - just to have something tangible to start examining would be a Nobel Prize level discovery.
Furthermore, if you can imagine it, it MUST exist. It's one of the great philosophical paradoxes.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Imagine believing it’s imagination……..

oldfella1962

Nobel Prize don't mean nuthin'. They gave one to Obama:ROFLMAO:
Yes, Obama got one because he could have botched things very badly and started WW3 but he didn't, so he got a Nobel Peace Prize. :confused:
That said there are different categories of Nobel Prizes - the science ones are legit for the most part. But better than a Nobel Prize is the 1,000,000 dollar jackpot for anybody offering any evidence of the supernatural. Nobody has claimed it yet.

oldfella1962

Furthermore, if you can imagine it, it MUST exist. It's one of the great philosophical paradoxes.
I guess whatever we imagine exists in our imagination, but that doesn't do much unless it becomes reality.

oldfella1962

The idea is that with infinite possibilities, it's impossible that any particular thing will never happen.
But are infinite possibilities guaranteed? What if the universe (as we know it) eventually ends? Maybe another universe starts back up, but the laws of physics are completely different next time? Since we don't have other universes to compare ours to, what we would consider possibilities may not apply to that version of reality that may be incompatible with ours.

While I'm on the subject of universes, we know our universe is expanding into....nothingness? But what if far away across the nothingness another singularity expanded into a universe, and as it expands bigger it collides with our universe? :unsure:

ambush80

But are infinite possibilities guaranteed? What if the universe (as we know it) eventually ends? Maybe another universe starts back up, but the laws of physics are completely different next time? Since we don't have other universes to compare ours to, what we would consider possibilities may not apply to that version of reality that may be incompatible with ours.

While I'm on the subject of universes, we know our universe is expanding into....nothingness? But what if far away across the nothingness another singularity expanded into a universe, and as it expands bigger it collides with our universe? :unsure:
Questions well out of my paygrade.

oldfella1962

Questions well out of my paygrade.
These questions are out of everybody's pay grade! :sneaky: Then again, who knows how smart other biological entities on other planets are? There are trillions of planets out there, and many paths evolution can take depending on the changing conditions of that planet.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
These questions are out of everybody's pay grade! :sneaky: Then again, who knows how smart other biological entities on other planets are? There are trillions of planets out there, and many paths evolution can take depending on the changing conditions of that planet.
Obviously, they’re not any smarter than ours……those other entities haven’t found us either. Since they haven’t found us we probably only exist in our imagination.

oldfella1962

Obviously, they’re not any smarter than ours……those other entities haven’t found us either. Since they haven’t found us we probably only exist in our imagination.
Maybe those other intelligent beings thought that they were the only planet with intelligent beings and never bothered to try to contact anybody. :unsure:
I think it's a logistical thing - suitable planets for intelligent life are just too spread out. Then again somewhere in the universe there could be clusters of planets or moons close enough to reach each other.

Now that we know extremophiles like tardigrades can handle radiation 1,000 times stronger than what humans can handle - and can survive in a dormant state for many years - panspermia seems to be a valid theory. And intense radiation is actually the energy source that can turn simple molecules found pretty much everywhere in space into complicated "building block" molecules. Also a Japanese team collected a sample from the tail of a comet and it contained quite a collection of the amino acids and other chemical configurations that life here on Earth uses. :)

Bottom line even when (not if but when) it's proven that simple life is possible not only here on Earth (obviously) but elsewhere too, it won't disprove religion, or at least Christianity. The Bible has already been proven to be scientifically incorrect or incomplete, so one more example won't move the needle one way or another for believers or non-believers. Finding life - or how chemicals become life - doesn't answer the question of "why" life exists.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Maybe those other intelligent beings thought that they were the only planet with intelligent beings and never bothered to try to contact anybody. :unsure:
I think it's a logistical thing - suitable planets for intelligent life are just too spread out. Then again somewhere in the universe there could be clusters of planets or moons close enough to reach each other.

Now that we know extremophiles like tardigrades can handle radiation 1,000 times stronger than what humans can handle - and can survive in a dormant state for many years - panspermia seems to be a valid theory. And intense radiation is actually the energy source that can turn simple molecules found pretty much everywhere in space into complicated "building block" molecules. Also a Japanese team collected a sample from the tail of a comet and it contained quite a collection of the amino acids and other chemical configurations that life here on Earth uses. :)

Bottom line even when (not if but when) it's proven that simple life is possible not only here on Earth (obviously) but elsewhere too, it won't disprove religion, or at least Christianity. The Bible has already been proven to be scientifically incorrect or incomplete, so one more example won't move the needle one way or another for believers or non-believers. Finding life - or how chemicals become life - doesn't answer the question of "why" life exists.
I guess anything is possible??

oldfella1962

I guess anything is possible??
No, some things are not possible due to the limitations of the natural laws of physics. That said, there may exist laws of physics that we don't understand or are even aware of yet. But so far nothing on this planet or the parts of the solar system that we have thoroughly examined has been proven to violate the laws of physics as we know & understand them. But who knows what tomorrow may bring? :huh:

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
No, some things are not possible due to the limitations of the natural laws of physics. That said, there may exist laws of physics that we don't understand or are even aware of yet. But so far nothing on this planet or the parts of the solar system that we have thoroughly examined has been proven to violate the laws of physics as we know & understand them. But who knows what tomorrow may bring? :huh:
So anything is possible.

oldfella1962

So anything is possible.
I cannot disprove your statement because nobody has seen everything yet so we cannot evaluate the validity of what we have not yet seen. But once something has been proven to be impossible it remains impossible until further evidence proves that it is/was indeed possible.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I cannot disprove your statement because nobody has seen everything yet so we cannot evaluate the validity of what we have not yet seen. But once something has been proven to be impossible it remains impossible until further evidence proves that it is/was indeed possible.
I cannot disprove your statement because nobody has seen everything yet so we cannot evaluate the validity of what we have not yet seen.
So, it’s possible there are other entities out there in the space world, we can’t prove they aren’t…….we haven’t seen them and haven’t proved they’re not …….but it’s possible they’re there?

At the same time - we can’t even evaluate that? Can’t we just say they’re big there, that’s proof they don’t exist - we hadn’t seen them even though there are millions of claims of seeing UFO’s (we know they’re talking aliens).

Or……are we just stick inside the laws and physics that we created and said nothing outside of that can be?

Latest posts