Should I thin or cut my timber?

GuyBilliam

Ok so I purchased some land that was recently cut over. The previouse owner took everything but the smaller oaks on about 60 acres. Twenty acres of it has most of the hardwoods left and is still in need of cleaning up as they left it a mess. The last 40 acres was a touch too wet to log so they left it alone. The pines on that 40 are ready to be logged and it is THICK THICK, and FULL of privet brush. Its so think I cant walk though it without cutting a path.
My intentions is to turn this whole place into as good of hunting as the area will allow. I know to run at least 10% of the total acreage in foodplots. I will also let averything that was clearcut that isnt food plots grow up for bedding and habbitat. I plan to burn everything on rotation. My question is........should I leave the 40 that is uncut alone and never go in there? Is that good bedding, or is it TOO thick possible? Would I be better off to thin it out and let the sunlight to the floor? I dont know if that will mess up where they are bedding? I mean I already have 60 acres of clearcut that I plan on buring and should have plenty of browse in those areas? Or should I thin the last 40 acres as well and let some of that 40 grow back up super thick for some bedding areas?

Thanks for any help

Lilly001

The 40 with the ready to cut pines, is it mixed or all pines.
And how mature? Thinned pines do provide good cover after a couple years.
It the pines are all mature it would probably be best to cut them before they get to big.

Long Cut

Don’t do anything, consult a State DMAP Biologist and have them guide you.
If hunting is your 100% focus and goal, I’d consult with a Biologist over a forester. Unfortunately smaller acreage you really won’t get much $$$ for the trees anyways.
Most loggers have a 40 acre clearcut minimum anyways just to show up, without you paying them the difference.

slow motion

Got no advice but not knowing what to do on your own dirt seems like a good problem to have. Congratulations on the purchase. Whatever you decide good luck with it.

Kev

It’s hard to give a recommendation without seeing the Tract. I’d get a forester to look at the tract and give a recommendation.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Find yourself a consulting forester in your area, that comes WITH recommendations, before you do anything.
This rite cheer.^

Stroker

If and when you do cut it that privet is going to explode from the extra sunlight but the deer will love it.

across the river

Don’t do anything, consult a State DMAP Biologist and have them guide you.
If hunting is your 100% focus and goal, I’d consult with a Biologist over a forester. Unfortunately smaller acreage you really won’t get much $$$ for the trees anyways.
Most loggers have a 40 acre clearcut minimum anyways just to show up, without you paying them the difference.
100% agree with this. If you are looking to maximize a recreational tract for wildlife, specifically deer, a forester isn’t going to do you much good.

Lindseys Grandpa

West Central Ga is eat up with Pine beetles . They have destroyed a bunch of trees in our area . As we speak we are having pines cut a year ago I would have never thought of cutting. Better to get paid than watch them rot .
If you don't know signs of beetle damage google it or have a timber person inspect your trees to try to get ahead of it .