sidearm

IshotBambi

How many of you pack a pistol when bowhunting? I even wear one in bow-only areas and have talked to game wardens and not a word was said about having a gun on my hip. Just curious how many other bow fellas do the same...

Big7

The Oracle
There are only a few places you can't carry, if you have a CCW.

Hunting ain't one of them. :)

Just don't bust a cap in something that's not self-defense. Serious!

deast1988

G20

Model 65
Model 28

Those are my rigs

cowhornedspike

You can carry (with a permit) while bowhunting during bow only season on private and most public land other than Army Corp land.

HOWEVER this is for self defense ONLY and it can't be used for anything else...things like shooting a hog, snake, or finishing off a wounded deer.

Big7

The Oracle
You can carry (with a permit) while bowhunting during bow only season on private and most public land other than Army Corp land.

HOWEVER this is for self defense ONLY and it can't be used for anything else...things like shooting a hog, snake, or finishing off a wounded deer.

Yep.. Yet ANOTHER stupid LAW!

Recon they would rather you get hit by a cottonmouth
or not be able to "finish off" a deer, humanely.:banginghe

I know they are trying to get the abusers out of the loop.

But... If you are smart and clean enough to have a
CCW, stands to reason, that you can figure out fer'
yo' self when to skin it!.

If I have a big sow with piglets trying to get me,
I'm not going for the bow.:D

cowhornedspike

Yep.. Yet ANOTHER stupid LAW!

Recon they would rather you get hit by a cottonmouth
or not be able to "finish off" a deer, humanely.:banginghe

I know they are trying to get the abusers out of the loop.

But... If you are smart and clean enough to have a
CCW, stands to reason, that you can figure out fer'
yo' self when to skin it!.

If I have a big sow with piglets trying to get me,
I'm not going for the bow.:D

How would using your pistol keep you from getting "hit by a cottonmouth"? If you see it then stay away from it and you won't get "hit" and if you don't see it until after it hits you then the pistol wouldn't have made any difference anyway.

You can finish off a deer with your bow just fine.

Shooting something that is actually attacking you (sow with pigs) may be different but is not what the law allowing sidearm carry is intended for...self defense from a person is why they allow it.

Hunter922

Glock 26 always, My son and I bow hunt all season long. Any time I have my youth hunter with me protection and safety are top priority.

Pneumothorax

My understanding matches this except for venomous snakes in GA. But my understanding could be wrong. Could you point me to that law/regulation?

Big7

The Oracle
How would using your pistol keep you from getting "hit by a cottonmouth"? If you see it then stay away from it and you won't get "hit" and if you don't see it until after it hits you then the pistol wouldn't have made any difference anyway.

You can finish off a deer with your bow just fine.

Shooting something that is actually attacking you (sow with pigs) may be different but is not what the law allowing sidearm carry is intended for...self defense from a person is why they allow it.

If you need to finish one, you probably need a good rifle.
(In other words, stop bow hunting)

I did have to get a snake, while my pistol was closer
to fire than to unshoulder my rifle.

What's your point?

If you are so confident in yo' bow, why would you CCW?

We just dying to know? :pop:

Last edited:

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Well this is my 1st year useing B F O, I may need a fire side arm to keep the bucks off of me. :)

Yep I do. Don't give a flip what the law says I have enough sense to know if something is trying to attack me bite or whatever I'm gonna shoot it period !

cowhornedspike

If you need to finish one, you probably need a good rifle.
(In other words, stop bow hunting)

Dude I was quoting you. I don't intend to have to "finish one off".

I did have to get a snake, while my pistol was closer
to fire than to unshoulder my rifle.

Leave it alone pistol or not. Can't imagine why you would "have to get a snake"

What's your point?

If you are so confident in yo' bow, why would you CCW?

We just dying to know? :pop:

I CC while bowhuntng for the same reason I CC everywhere I am legally allowed to...self defense against 2 legged troubles. Not hogs or snakes.

Fishin & Hunting

The only reason I have a CCW is so I can carry when bow hunting.

Sooner or later the yotes will attack someone again.