sidearm

strutlife

If you need to finish one, you probably need a good rifle.
(In other words, stop bow hunting)

I did have to get a snake, while my pistol was closer
to fire than to unshoulder my rifle.

What's your point?

If you are so confident in yo' bow, why would you CCW?

We just dying to know? :pop:

Being confident in your bow has nothing to do with CCW. Kinda like taking a knife to a gun fight.

bowhunterdavid

some of the places I hunt you better be packing heat, never know what might be waiting on you at the truck after dark, smith and Wesson MP 45 :shoot:

Brewskis

You can carry (with a permit) while bowhunting during bow only season on private and most public land other than Army Corp land.

HOWEVER this is for self defense ONLY and it can't be used for anything else...things like shooting a hog, snake, or finishing off a wounded deer.

My understanding matches this except for venomous snakes in GA. But my understanding could be wrong. Could you point me to that law/regulation?

The only reason I have a CCW is so I can carry when bow hunting.

Sooner or later the yotes will attack someone again.

Can anyone confirm if there is a provision in the law for self-defense against an animal presenting a reasonable threat to you (e.g., rabid coyote, charging hog, venomous snake found laying in your treestand).

satchmo

Self defense is the only reason anyone would wear a side arm bowhunting or not. A snake in the woods can't possibly be considered a threat, you can go around a snake(seriously, would anyone need to shoot a snake anymore than they would a spider). I carry one because I don't want an encounter with somebody waiting for me when I get back to my truck, or a trespasser thinking they can do whatever they want because all I have is a bow. I've never thought of using my carry for anything other than what it's intended reasons are, and I sure don't intend on even pulling it out for show unless I AM going to pull the trigger on something or somebody. My life would have to be in danger.

whitetailfreak

Self defense is the only reason anyone would wear a side arm bowhunting or not. A snake in the woods can't possibly be considered a threat, you can go around a snake(seriously, would anyone need to shoot a snake anymore than they would a spider). I carry one because I don't want an encounter with somebody waiting for me when I get back to my truck, or a trespasser thinking they can do whatever they want because all I have is a bow. I've never thought of using my carry for anything other than what it's intended reasons are, and I sure don't intend on even pulling it out for show unless I AM going to pull the trigger on something or somebody. My life would have to be in danger.

Well said

knightcustomworks

I bow hunt all season. I definitely carry, always. Walking almost a mile in sometimes in the dark I don't want to say "wait, let me put on the release and pull out my arrow"

darkstan

This day and age some people are just mean and desperate. If I get back to my truck and 1 or 2 fellows demand money, keys or whatever we gonna have a problem if I can get my Ruger out. Yall know what I mean when I say times are different than 20 years ago.

Led Zeppelin

I carry one when im bow hunting, gun hunting, duck hunting, fishing, cutting the grass, and pretty much any off duty activity. heck i carry a back up when im on duty as well. all because iv seen a bunch of bad things happen to good people and i know what people are capable of doing when they want your stuff or are high on some kind of drug/alcohol. im not taking any chances. just my .02

gahunter12

I carry my Glock every day. In the woods during bow season is no difference.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I never realized how many get robbed at there trucks coming out of the deer woods. It sounds worst than Chicago.

I know it has happened.... the robbery.
Yall getten atacked by sows with pigs coyotes, has anyone said bear yet. Shooten snakes before they bit you. Its 6 weeks of terror for ya'll. LOLs G/L to ya'll

Pneumothorax

I'm not afraid of snakes. I've owned many snakes as pets over the years. I've caught, held, and released multiple Copperheads in my back yard. After my son was born, I killed the next Copperhead I found in my back yard. I guess I could have relocated it somewhere. But I was lazy I guess.

I have never worn my pistol while bowhunting. And bowhunting is all I do. But last season I decided to bring it on opening day to track a doe I had shot. A couple other club members had seen and killed rattlesnakes in the area. So I figured, why not. Sure enough, I almost stepped on a big Timber Rattler. It was maybe 20ish yards from my stand that I had crept to in the dark hours earlier. I use a red light when moving in the dark. Probably wouldn't have seen it.

I certainly could have walked around this particular snake. It was docile. But I chose to put a bullet in its noggin because A) it was very close to where I creep around in the dark and B) my young son roams these woods with me sometimes and he's less observant.

I skinned it and tanned the hide myself and paid a ton of money to have it professionally framed in museum quality glass.

I still don't carry while I hunt. But I do when I'm scouting just because I can. I have a permit and I hunt on private land.

Not trying to convince anyone of anything. Just telling a story.

Attachments

• Doe and rattlesnake 007.jpg
    Doe and rattlesnake 007.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 311

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
After spotted I bet U could of killed it with a stick. Snake boots would of helped more in the dark. I carry while putting up stands and riding my 4 wheeler. While scouting with out the bow during bow season. I want to shoot a hog then, can't carring a bow.

Pneumothorax

After spotted I bet U could of killed it with a stick. Snake boots would of helped more in the dark. I carry while putting up stands and riding my 4 wheeler. While scouting with out the bow during bow season. I want to shoot a hog then, can't carring a bow.

Yup. I could have beat it to death with a stick. Much less humane IMO.

And I did buy snake boots for myself and my son after that encounter.

BigCats

I hunt a corp hunt every year and the Corp man told me as long as I had permit it wasn't a problem.

Big7

The Oracle
Dude I was quoting you. I don't intend to have to "finish one off".

Leave it alone pistol or not. Can't imagine why you would "have to get a snake"

I CC while bowhuntng for the same reason I CC everywhere I am legally allowed to...self defense against 2 legged troubles. Not hogs or snakes.

Yeah and I was just messing with you.::ke:

may not possess any firearm

archers may not possess any firearm while hunting during the archery season, except that any person possessing a weapons carry license that is valid in this state pursuant to OCGA SS 16-11-126(f) or 16-11-129 may carry such firearm subject to the limitations of OCGA ss 16-11-126 and 16-11-127 EXCEPT where prohibited by federal law.

You better have a Weapons Carry Permit...........

I don't think you can "Carry" on Federal Wildlife Refuges..

Piedmont, Bond Swamp, Blackbeard Island....etc