Silent Spring?

Hey guys,

Just wanted to get yall's opinion. I've been chasing birds in south Georgia since the season opened with little success. I have hunted private land in Thomas, Mitchell, and Grady county and there seems to be a trend among all of them, little to no gobbling. Spots that I have hunted that have held birds in the past haven't produced anything. I know the season has only been in for 2 weeks, but it just seems like the birds have vanished. What are yall's thoughts? Weather? Population decline?

Thanks,

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Nature. I've seen everything under the sun turkey hunting. 12 gobblers in a plot right after a season of next to no gobbling. I've had seasons go quiet after fly down time. I've had birds gobble all day all season long. This year they seem to warm up later in the morning. Most action I had this year was at 11:00. Sometimes you just miss the gobbling. Predators may be heavy at times and birds go silent. Hard to survive if you are out there gobbling your head off attracting them. Look for sign. Throw up some cameras and take some inventory. If I'm killing this year, its because I planned out turkeys for next year.

blindhog

Hard to say.
Just keep at it and surprise may happen!
I had a TV show hunt happen to me this week on public land.
Never would have thought three gobblers would gobble for me like they did at 3 pm.

baddave

i agree , only it's been goin on for about 3 yrs for me .. i've been huntin "turkeys" in taliaferro since the early 80's.. it used to be routine to have as many as four in opposite directions hollering.. now i'm lucky to hear one .. i sometimes think coyotes have trained them to shut up

Redbone4

I’ll make you feel a little better, I haven’t heard a turkey gobble yet so far had 1 come in silent but no gobbling

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
They've been burning the woods up where I hunt. I've heard birds every day I've hunted

hoytman308

Hunted 5 different hunts. Had one in Hancock to answer me. But nothing in Morgan or newton counties where there is a fair amount of sign. Last year was better than this for me. But hopefully it only gets better than this for me when those hens start nesting more.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
They've been gobbling like crazy here. Season doesn't open until next weekend, though. :)

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
I had gobbling in every direction of the house 1 week before the youth season came in..... almost nothing since!
turkeys are on strike!

mtstephens18

I'm in the same boat. Can't seem to find a bird. Club was eat up with birds in deer season. Consistently seen 40-50 birds at a time and small groups also. Haven't heard or seen a bird at all since season satted. I finally heard one last Saturday on public but he only gobbled 3-4 times. Never paid me a lick of attention. And then had one gobble randomly at 3:15. He never said another word and never answered and never came in. People I know are hunting another piece of public that I am. Hearing birds morning and evening. I still haven't heard a peep. Been like this for me now for 4 years

kevincox

I travel all over South Ga with work. I'm seeing no birds in any of the fields like I have in past years

Luke0927

Seems to be pretty quite so far.

Opening Day was good in Monticello area back for a few days this week and it has been dead. Had one gobble at 730 and hushed, buddy had one come in silent this eve. Talked to another guy and he said has been quite as well.

01Foreman400

Staff member
Low populations on the tracts that I hunt but I keep trying. Haven’t heard a bird the past 4 hunts.

mossyoakpro

I finally have had a great season....first one in several years in Georgia. For the last 2 seasons I have not killed or even heard many birds in the state, had to go out west to fuel my addiction.

This season has been nothing but epic for me...I killed an Osceola on the opening day of the Florida season, then a bird on the opening day of the GA season, followed up with another on the 27th and finally wrapped the season up on April 2nd with my longest spurred bird to date. I have heard more birds gobble this season than in the last 2 seasons combined.

My take on the struggle we are facing...for one furry predators are starting to hunt them just like we do, go to the gobble. Been 3 coyotes killed by my friends this year already that came to the call. I have taken up trapping and apparently it has helped somewhat at least. Secondly the population is declining at a rapid rate in my opinion...I used to have a very healthy population on my farm and now you can't find a track anywhere after extensive management specifically for them...burning,food plots, you name it I have done it.

Hang in there or go out west where there is still a good population of birds like I was having to do...may go again myself just to continue my season!

Killdee

Same boat here nary a peep on my place. Pulled cards and had toms on a plot 2 days this last week by themselves. Dang if I’m going to deer hunt turkeys, I’ll go back to fishing if they won’t gobble.

Thanks for all the input guys. Seems like some of yall are having the same issue and luckily, some of yall aren't. I am only hoping for things to get better around here. Just a little concerning thus far. I hope it turns around and there isn't a bigger issue at hand. I hope you all have a great and productive turkey season.