Building a new "adventure vehicle" or I guess, my retirement exploration vehicle.

Geffellz18

I am really liking that rear bumper with the tire carrier. I have been looking for one for myself, everywhere I look, they are back ordered and don't know when they will be able to have one available.
Thought about you the other day-Saw another tricked out gladiator in Suwanee Saturday that had Korean Overlanding advertising on it. Instead of the enclosed bed unit you have, it had 270 degree bed rack with Molle panels all around, even over the tailgate, completely packed with gear bags, fuel containers & even a small propane tank which I see you added too.
Was a pretty sick setup.

Love the update too, BTW! That’s awesome and your thread inspires me to fulfill my interest in building one in a few years when I turn 50 for a 4 corners trip I have planned out already. Lord willing I make it to then healthy & capable.

Last edited:

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
Thought about you the other day-Saw another tricked out gladiator in Suwanee Saturday that had Korean Overlanding advertising on it. Instead of the enclosed bed unit you have, it had 270 degree bed rack with Molle panels all around, even over the tailgate, completely packed with gear bags, fuel containers & even a small propane tank which I see you added too.
Was a pretty sick setup.

Love the update too, BTW! That’s awesome and your thread inspires me to fulfill my interest in building one in a few years when I turn 50 for a 4 corners trip I have planned out already. Lord willing I make it to them healthy & capable.
When you have an offroad capable vehicle that is comfortable to live out of, it opens up a whole new world of adventure for you. I looked at about every option out there and one of the selling points with this option was the ease of setting up and breaking down camp. If I do not deploy the awning it takes about a minute to do both by myself. If I deploy the awning, add a minute for set up and a minute and a half for break down. Plus, it is an all-season camper that has kept me comfortable in temperatures down to around Zero F. with just normal bedding, no electric blankets or anything like that, which I could use if I needed to. The 4 Corners is a blast, plus lots of good trout fishing on your way there and all around the area. I am looking forward to seeing how you build out your vehicle.

Geffellz18

When you have an offroad capable vehicle that is comfortable to live out of, it opens up a whole new world of adventure for you. I looked at about every option out there and one of the selling points with this option was the ease of setting up and breaking down camp. If I do not deploy the awning it takes about a minute to do both by myself. If I deploy the awning, add a minute for set up and a minute and a half for break down. Plus, it is an all-season camper that has kept me comfortable in temperatures down to around Zero F. with just normal bedding, no electric blankets or anything like that, which I could use if I needed to. The 4 Corners is a blast, plus lots of good trout fishing on your way there and all around the area. I am looking forward to seeing how you build out your vehicle.
Appreciate it, RNBC!
I’ve been all around the 4 corners, but never in the direct area. Had planned to do it next year, but pushed it back to 2028 to make it a milestone trip and provide me time to really build out a rig in my mind and start it a year prior to have it ready, I’ve already got the basic thought outlined on how I want it to be setup.
Did this to serve as a milestone to achieve in hopes to give me motivation, as material belongings aren’t motivation enough, but an extreme experience holds much more value to me!
My reservations however are always how often I would actually use it being it’s mostly me that has interest and not the wife. Plus my son is special needs so leaving him with our daughter for long periods of time are’nt really feasible.
My current rig basically sits in the driveway about 11 1/2 months out of the year currently with no use, lol.
On the flip side, I’ve been without a truck for many years(my choice-my current ORV is an ‘03 pathfinder 4x4), and this build would be a final truck for me, only changing accessories as needed/wanted.
At least that’s the plan!

Last edited:

Southbow

Jay,
Saw your name on the facebook link you posted. Did you grow up off Whispering Pines? I remember a bunch of us kids riding around in the back of an old willis jeep when I was probably 5 or 6 and I'm thinking that may have been your dad?

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
Jay,
Saw your name on the facebook link you posted. Did you grow up off Whispering Pines? I remember a bunch of us kids riding around in the back of an old willis jeep when I was probably 5 or 6 and I'm thinking that may have been your dad?
Nah, that is not me. We lived over in Merry Acres area. We had a truck but not a Willis Jeep. I am in my 60s now. I left Albany in 1981 for the Army, then college and grad school before I moved back to the area and now live out in the middle of nowhere. I worked for F&W Forestry; they hired me out of high school after fall quarter of my senior year in 1978 (I graduated early like you could back then) to trap beaver. After I cleared the backlog, they taught me how to cruise timber.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
Appreciate it, RNBC!
I’ve been all around the 4 corners, but never in the direct area. Had planned to do it next year, but pushed it back to 2028 to make it a milestone trip and provide me time to really build out a rig in my mind and start it a year prior to have it ready, I’ve already got the basic thought outlined on how I want it to be setup.
Did this to serve as a milestone to achieve in hopes to give me motivation, as material belongings aren’t motivation enough, but an extreme experience holds much more value to me!
My reservations however are always how often I would actually use it being it’s mostly me that has interest and not the wife. Plus my son is special needs so leaving him with our daughter for long periods of time are’nt really feasible.
My current rig basically sits in the driveway about 11 1/2 months out of the year currently with no use, lol.
On the flip side, I’ve been without a truck for many years(my choice-my current ORV is an ‘03 pathfinder 4x4), and this build would be a final truck for me, only changing accessories as needed/wanted.
At least that’s the plan!
What route are you going with your build? I actually know a number of people in the industry that I have met over the years when it comes to building adventure vehicles. If you plan on building out your Pathfinder you might want to look at Australian suspensions. Nissans have been popular in Australia over the years and there should be some good options from ARB or Dobinsons. Since they are IFS, you will probably want to go with a long travel front suspension. I have never built out IFS vehicles for offroad (only owned one IFS vehicle in my whole life), but I have a number of friends who have and that is something they all tend to go with. This will help with clearance which you will want, especially in the Four Corners region.

Geffellz18

What route are you going with your build? I actually know a number of people in the industry that I have met over the years when it comes to building adventure vehicles. If you plan on building out your Pathfinder you might want to look at Australian suspensions. Nissans have been popular in Australia over the years and there should be some good options from ARB or Dobinsons. Since they are IFS, you will probably want to go with a long travel front suspension. I have never built out IFS vehicles for offroad (only owned one IFS vehicle in my whole life), but I have a number of friends who have and that is something they all tend to go with. This will help with clearance which you will want, especially in the Four Corners region.
Here’s some pics of my current setup of the Pathfinder. There’s not much more I’m going to do to it since I plan to build a true overland rig in a few years. The Pathfinder has been a great platform for my current needs however for the N.GA, NC & TN areas I Wander through from time to time. As I mentioned, it rarely gets used currently-Too many other priorities keep it from hitting the trails much these days!
Funny you mention Australia-I found a pathfinder forum(NPORA) when I first bought it and there are several members from Australia on there that have been very helpful. The majority of the die hard R50 Pathfinder owners in the states are out West & have also been very helpful. Suspension wise, I have Old Man Emu medium duty coil springs on Rancho struts up front. In the rear, I have Land Rover 9449 heavy duty springs, which give it the lift you see without any need for spacers. Long travel cv axles replaced the stock ones & AVM manual locking hubs were installed to ease the wear & tear on the axles when not needed.
I’ve put it in some precarious positions and it’s come out every time(so far!). It’s been a beast & a lot of fun. Its primary downfall-other than the IFS is the storage for sure. It’s pretty tight in the cabin.
IMG_1443.jpegIMG_1446.jpegIMG_1444.jpegIMG_1445.jpeg

Here’s a couple of shots taken in the CNF during one of the last big snow storms we had a few years back.
IMG_1448.jpegIMG_1447.jpeg

My next build will most likely be on a 3rd Gen Tundra. Don’t really believe in “Dream” vehicles anymore, but I’ve always wanted a Tundra & dependability wise, should serve me well for its intended purpose.
If nothing life changing happens between now & then, I plan to purchase one in 2027 to begin building it out for 2028 for my 50th.

Last edited:

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
I have a buddy of mine that I hit the trails with once in a while that has a Nissan Pathfinder, he loves it, however he is giving it to his son who is now 15. It has a sleeping platform, fridge, all kinds of addons (to include a roof rack and a clam shell RTT he uses from time to time). He just purchased a Gladiator Mojave that he is going to build out like mine. After a couple of trips with me this past winter in the cold and snow, he decided after seeing how easy, comfortable and warm my rig was that if he was going to get his longtime girlfriend to start doing trips with him, he needed something along the lines of what I have. He is a mechanical and electrical engineer by training, and he is always building a vehicle for this type of use. I know those Pathfinders make some really good adventure vehicles, especially if you are younger than me. As I am entering my mid-60s, ease and comfort are huge factors in building a rig and that is what was behind how I built mine. Nice looking and capable rig you have there. What size wheels are you running on your rig? I take it you don't deflate when you are offroad? My buddy is running what I think are JDM Steel wheels on his. He also has the Old Man Emu suspension, I love them, that is what I have on my JKUR.

ucfireman

Great looking build and inspiring and thought provoking.
Don't know if I would ever go as deep into as you have but like the ideas.
Plan on doing some road trips in the near future.