Skewed Harvest Numbers

sportsman94

I am trying to pick my location for a fall bear hunt this year. This will be my first bear hunt and I love to plan and research. Looking at harvest numbers throughout the years I see that certain WMAs have significantly higher harvest numbers than others historically. Now I realize some of these WMAs are larger than others, but I think if you broke it down to bear harvest per acre they would still be significantly higher than some of the other commonly talked about WMAs. In your opinion, do you think that the harvest numbers are so different because the populations are just that much higher on the high harvest WMAs? Do people mostly just choose to target deer on the other WMAs instead of bear? Are people (not on the bear forum) just lazy and dont want to kill/fool with a bear? The WMA with the most harvests seems to be extremely rugged in areas so it doesnt seem like that would necessarily be a reason when comparing to the other WMAs. Are most of the true bear killers just hunting NF and not spending a lot of time on the WMAs? Sorry for the questions, just trying to get a grasp of the different numbers so I can put myself in the best situation to have some success.

I have hunted turkeys in the far northwest corner of the state, but am super excited about getting to spend some time in bow season in the mountains.

Thanks for any help!

ddd-shooter

Step 1. Pick a spot.
Step 2. Realize how bad spot one is and how you're totally unprepared for the process.

Lol

That's not exactly the case, but as has been mentioned here a thousand times, your best bet is to spend as much time as possible up in the mountains. Familiarizing yourself with the terrain and how it appears on a map as compared to the ground is a learning curve.
Other than that, all the typical axioms apply: look for key terrain features, thickets, oaks, etc...
As for where to go, a mountain wma that's closer to home (meaning potentially more trips) would be more valuable to me than a particular harvest rate. They've all got bears. I do spend way more time outside wmas than inside, but I don't know that that's particularly beneficial, I just do it.

Timberman

1. All the high mountain wma’s have bears. Pick one that has hunts when you can go and get after it.

2. As far as too lazy/don’t want to fool with a bear most folks that hunt up there have either shot one or had friends that did and remember how much work it was to get it out. So unless it’s a small eating bear or one less than 100 yards uphill from a road they let em go. Deer are a whole lot easier to move/extract. I know myself-I’ve been on a couple retrieval’s that were downright insane so I’m pretty picky where I’ll shoot one. It’s easy to get caught up in the moment and shoot way more than you bargained for imo.

That said go kill your limit and help out the deer!

sportsman94

I know you from a screven cty lease but dont remember where you live? Where is that?

Perry, Ga. Smack dab in the middle of the state. I should be able to make it to the mountains in 3-3 1/2 hours.

So far I have been map scouting around Consauga Lake on Cohutta. Unfortunately, my summer vacation time is planned out for the year. Between that and starting projects on our new house I dont think I will be able to make it up prior to the hunt. I do intend to spend the first couple days of the hunt covering lots of ground learning terrain and looking for sign in the different areas I drop pins on. Since stalking them in trees sounds possible that time of year I may stay on the move the whole time. I intend to make this an annual hunt so will plan to chalk this year up as a scouting trip. As I start to learn what things are like up that way I will hopefully be able to spend more and more time up there.

sportsman94

1. All the high mountain wma’s have bears. Pick one that has hunts when you can go and get after it.

2. As far as too lazy/don’t want to fool with a bear most folks that hunt up there have either shot one or had friends that did and remember how much work it was to get it out. So unless it’s a small eating bear or one less than 100 yards uphill from a road they let em go. Deer are a whole lot easier to move/extract. I know myself-I’ve been on a couple retrieval’s that were downright insane so I’m pretty picky where I’ll shoot one. It’s easy to get caught up in the moment and shoot way more than you bargained for imo.

That said go kill your limit and help out the deer!

I have been known to just see red when my prey animal is in front of me and completely forget about where I am, what prior obligations I have, or how much suck I am about to go through. I may wise up like yall one day, but I am still young, invincible, and ready for anything.... in my mind!

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I admit I am not good a taking my own advise.

If you go in with out being able to scout. You should scout until you find a concentration of sign. Even if this takes the hole trip.

Being a flat lander like myself. Take it easy. Move slow make loops when you scout. Go up a drainage. Run the ridge over and come out a different way. Don't burn your legs up the first morning.

ddd-shooter

Keep an eye out for oaks that are high, and oaks that are low.

I'm thinking acorns will be better up high this year, but that's just a hunch.
Near thick is important, and never too far from water. Which, to be fair, is everywhere lol

Joe Brandon

I always heard you can't target bears just hunt for deer. Not true! Find the food source, find the elevation where the food is, hope you connect. Seen them anywhere from 0830 to 330 in the afternoon. Hopefully the wind is your friend, if not then position yourself to where it is. Love to stalk in a light rain. Good luck!!!

sportsman94

Keep an eye out for oaks that are high, and oaks that are low.

I'm thinking acorns will be better up high this year, but that's just a hunch.
Near thick is important, and never too far from water. Which, to be fair, is everywhere lol

I have been concentrating all my pins I am dropping on elevations between 3000-3600' so far. I recently learned how late frosts affect mast in the higher elevations. With the later freeze this year I am hoping that I am in the ballpark for elevation where the acorns will be.

I truly appreciate all the help the bear forum members are willing to extend to everyone. I am on my third or fourth trip through all 68 pages on this sub forum. I am trying to keep a running page of notes with the knowledge I am picking up to help prepare for the trip.

Last edited:

ddd-shooter

I have been concentrating all my pins I am dropping on elevations between 3000-3600' so far. I recently learned how late frosts affect mast in the higher elevations. With the later freeze this year I am hoping that I am in the ballpark for elevation where the acorns will be.

I truly appreciate all the help the bear forum members are willing to extend to everyone. I am on my third or fourth trip through all 80 odd pages on this sub forum. I am trying to keep a running page of notes with the knowledge I am picking up to help prepare for the trip.
Specific questions are welcome once you do your research, lol

jbogg

Lots of good advice offered here so far. Scouting until you find fresh feeding sign cannot be overstated. Pay attention to any current acorn threads, and then you will still need to confirm with boots on the ground.

sportsman94

I would not handcuff myself to a certain elevation.

Not handcuffing myself to anything. I am going to continue research and hopefully keep an eye on any acorn threads that pop up closer to season opener. It just seemed like a common theme that threads would mention acorns being in the 3000' range in the past so figured that and higher would be a good starting point. If I get there and dont see acorns in that range I will start checking other elevations as well. Just thought it would be a good starting point. I appreciate the continued help guys!

Quackmasterofgeorgia

Lots of good advice offered here so far. Scouting until you find fresh feeding sign cannot be overstated. Pay attention to any current acorn threads, and then you will still need to confirm with boots on the ground.
What does fresh feeding sign look like? Never seen bear sign other than tracks, and I’m hoping to make it up there to try and get my first one.