Skinning Shed

sportsman94

Looking for the do’s and don’ts of building a skinning area at my house. I’m not trying to build it huge, but would like to do it right. I’m thinking 6x6 posts, an electric winch mounted to an 6x6 running across the top, a roof. and a small slab underneath with some sort of d ring or hook to be able to assist in skinning/pulling. I had planned to make the posts 12’ talk to give myself plenty of room. One of the main areas I’m confused about is anchoring the posts. I’ve seen not to bury them in concrete, I’ve seen others say not to bury in dirt, and I’ve seen people say that the strong tie anchors won’t be good for wind/etc. So what would you do if you were building one and wanting it to last?

flconch53

I like to put pressure treated wood in the ground. I don't know what your skill set is but if I set them in the ground I can adjust them if needed. Are you going to concrete the floor? 6×6 would be plenty

earlthegoat2

Get GOOD pressure treated 6x6s. NOT for ground contact but FOR below ground use.

Saltwater marine Timbers or Timbers used for pole barn construction or telephone poles are ideal.

Then you can sink them into the ground, concrete, or both with no worries.

You want your top beam to be high enough to get the hid off as far as you can before you run out of room.

sportsman94

Dang now you got me to thinking about starting up another project I had shelved

I’ve been thinking about this for the past two and a half years since we moved here. Just been doing everything on the tailgate. I butchered a 4h pig this year and needed somewhere to hang it to do it as right as I could. I used a tree, but immediately got to thinking about how my project needed to be moved up on the priority list!

sportsman94

Get GOOD pressure treated 6x6s. NOT for ground contact but FOR below ground use.

Saltwater marine Timbers or Timbers used for pole barn construction or telephone poles are ideal.

Then you can sink them into the ground, concrete, or both with no worries.

You want your top beam to be high enough to get the hid off as far as you can before you run out of room.

I wondered about telephone poles, but wasn’t sure if they would hold up any better than the other stuff. Would you add concrete or just back fill and tamp down with the options you listed?

earlthegoat2

I wondered about telephone poles, but wasn’t sure if they would hold up any better than the other stuff. Would you add concrete or just back fill and tamp down with the options you listed?

I would not worry about cement around telephone poles.

Dig the holes as deep as the post hole digger / auger will go and backfill.

Use or don’t use concrete. If you don’t use concrete, regular backfilling with dirt is most likely going to be fine. Especially if the holes are 3-4 feet deep. A partial back fill with gravel or larger stones will really keep those posts rock solid though. There is always the option of dry mix concrete backfill too. 4 bags of fast set quiktete per post is quick and easy with no worries for your lifetime.

I would put some gravel or concrete on the bottom of the hole to act as a half arsed footer so settling will be limited either way.

As you can see there are plenty of options.

Nothing wrong with plain dirt back fill either. If it fails, which it likely won’t, you can dig them up and reset them.

Telephone poles will hold up better than anything bought at a store. They’re made to be buried in the ground and last years. I deff would use telephone poles if you have access to them

sportsman94

Telephone poles will hold up better than anything bought at a store. They’re made to be buried in the ground and last years. I deff would use telephone poles if you have access to them
I don’t yet, but I’m gonna work on it. Thanks again for the advice y’all. Ignorance isn’t any fun when you’re trying not to have to do the same work twice

Big7

The Oracle
Looking for the do’s and don’ts of building a skinning area at my house. I’m not trying to build it huge, but would like to do it right. I’m thinking 6x6 posts, an electric winch mounted to an 6x6 running across the top, a roof. and a small slab underneath with some sort of d ring or hook to be able to assist in skinning/pulling. I had planned to make the posts 12’ talk to give myself plenty of room. One of the main areas I’m confused about is anchoring the posts. I’ve seen not to bury them in concrete, I’ve seen others say not to bury in dirt, and I’ve seen people say that the strong tie anchors won’t be good for wind/etc. So what would you do if you were building one and wanting it to last?
Look on the Tiedown Engineering company's web site.

I designed and supervised the tooling for many of their earth anchors.

They are tested to strict code, especially in Florida. They ain't coming up and you'd be lucky to screw them back out if they've been in the ground any length of time.

They are relatively inexpensive. They ship by all carriers and the plant is in Fulton Industrial area if you want to pick them up.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member

I built my pole barn in 2006 with old creosote power poles. Dug each hole 4 and 1/2 feet deep, shoveled 6 inches of crushed rock in the bottom of each hole, painted the butt and 4 feet up each pole with blackjack roofing tar, set the poles, and tamped them good. I speck they`ll still be good 100 years from now. Creosote will last a lot longer than pressure treated or CCA poles, plus it takes a lot more to set creosote on fire.

ShortMagFan

“You want your top beam to be high enough to get the hid off as far as you can before you run out of room.”

Good advice. Requires more height that you think

johnpoulan83

Missed The Vote
I built my pole barn in 2006 with old creosote power poles. Dug each hole 4 and 1/2 feet deep, shoveled 6 inches of crushed rock in the bottom of each hole, painted the butt and 4 feet up each pole with blackjack roofing tar, set the poles, and tamped them good. I speck they`ll still be good 100 years from now. Creosote will last a lot longer than pressure treated or CCA poles, plus it takes a lot more to set creosote on fire.
Why did you paint the butt