Small raccoons for training my VHD.

ghadarits

I’m a couple of weeks away from picking up my Drahthaar puppy so will be needing a couple of smallish raccoons to train with. I’ve trapped a couple in box traps but they are too big for my pup to start off with. It figures when I’m wanting a smaller coon I’m only catching big mean Coons.

If any of you trappers are in the Lake Hartwell or Athens area and catch any you’d be willing to give up I’d like to hear from you.

Thanks for reading the post.
1674580496006.jpeg

specialk

They use to make trailing scents for coondogs that worked great to start pups on....its been 30yrs ago but i have used them...

Hillbilly stalker

Wrong time of year to catch a young smaller coon. It don’t take a big coon to whoop several big dogs, I’d be real careful. Those are gritty little dogs from what I’ve seen, some don’t have have a reverse to them and can get bad hurt. Have you trained them like that before ? Breeder aught to be able to give some ideals on the best way to start them. We trapped some smaller coons in town one time and turned them loose on our hunting club. I’d swear them little crackhead town coon were fighting WAY above their weight class. I always shoot them out dead, coon dog paralysis is a bad bad thing for a dog. Post a picture of him when you get him. Good luck.

ghadarits

The only dog I’ve owned that could go toe to toe with a grown coon was a female Jack Russel. The only living thing she didn’t kill that got into the fence was a big snapping turtle. Anything else was in trouble if she got a hold of it. I really do miss that dog she had such a desire to hunt it was incredible.