Smells That Bring Back Childhood Memories

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Prince Albert tobacco. My granddaddy used to roll his own cigarettes and smoke that stuff. That combined with an old gas heater will always smell like winter time to me.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Y'all have already named a bunch that apply to me as well, but there are a few that really stand out in my mind that I haven't smelled in ages.

The smell of gnats and moths burning on a Coleman lantern hanging over the side of the boat on a crappie hole at night.

The many smells associated with making sorghum syrup. Freshly stripped fodder, the smell inside the mill while the syrup is cooking, the sour smell of the old, crushed stalks piled high behind the mill.

My Pap had a little closet in his living room that he hung his hunting jacket and flannel shirts in. It's where he kept his coon light and where leaned up his old dogwood walking stick. I can't describe the smell of that closet, but I'll never forget it.

The smell of the waxed cardboard boxes we packed bell peppers in at the pepper plant in Blue Ridge.

The smell of a coon dog on a frosty winter night.

The smells in my dad's cabinet shop. Sawdust, wood glue, Minwax and Red Man.

The smell of the old carpet and the pine pews in the church I grew up in.

The smell in the bottom of my momma's bathroom vanity cabinet where she kept her hair curlers. I know that's weird, but I can still smell it distinctly.

The sense of smell is closely tied to memory. Just typing these few words have taken me back to a different time.

Whitefeather

Management Material
I still enjoy smell the of a semi tractor. My father drove over the road for years and when he’d come home from his runs I would meet him and carry his clothes bag in the house.

Doug B.

The smell of a dog box when you load up the dogs to go hunting. I can also remember the smell of the dogs riding in the back of a Volkswagen with the back seat taken out. Especially if you had a young dog that liked to run a polecat. The ride home wasn't very pleasant in those instances.

Redbow

my "granny's kitchen" memories are not the good kind. She sometimes made liver & onions when we were visiting. :mad:

My Granny never cooked liver and onions, none of us liked them and I still don't until this day.

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
Borkum riff pipe tobacco, reminds me of pop.
And the smell of fresh cut pine, reminds me of my great uncles, they were pulp wooders

oldfella1962

My Granny never cooked liver and onions, none of us liked them and I still don't until this day.

when I got married I made up my mind that I would never make my family eat foods I didn't like to eat. Believe it or not my mother used to put cottage cheese in lasagna and stuffed manicotti and whatnot instead of ricotta cheese.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
:rofl:

Yes. Hercules here in Brunswick was nasty smelling when I was growing up. Dang that place stunk! Prolly what's wrong with me now. :bounce:

But none can beat that God awful Rayonier mill in Jesup! Worst I've ever been around. It will make you gag. :sick:

There was a chicken feed processing plant in Pendergrass, Ga that cooked chicken by-products as part of their process. Where I grew up was over 8 miles from there and we could smell it when the wind was just wrong. Everyone called it the “stink plant”.
I think the plant closed in the early 70’s.