So Just How Bad Is The Coyote Problem, I'tell You

buckpasser

I don't mind coyotes in general, they're pretty fascinating critters.

I liked them less before I started trapping them. You can’t help but respect them (at least for being a survivor if nothing else). They are one of those creatures that are so highly laced with instinct it’s ridiculous.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I liked them less before I started trapping them. You can’t help but respect them (at least for being a survivor if nothing else). They are one of those creatures that are so highly laced with instinct it’s ridiculous.
That's why they and wolves were so highly revered by almost every tribe of Indians.

Wifeshusband

It’s not the same everywhere. I wait on them to show up at my house (tracks) then trap them. I can sometimes go for months without tracks using this technique. At work it’s about the same. I’m letting them hold the territory right now and beginning next week they will be trapped hard. There won’t be many on the place through the summer I can assure you, and it is effective for fawn recruitment, you just have to be very intentional, present, and proficient as a trapper or hunter. Just wildly pursuing them can be counterproductive.
Yes sir. Folks can talk all they want about how far they roam, their genetic make-up, and not being able to trap all of them, but when you take out 19 pair of sharp teeth coupled with 19 hungry stomachs you're saving a good number of fawns, turkeys, and rabbits. I agree wholeheartedly with you and am looking forward to seeing less yotes and more deer on the place.

Joe Brandon

Gutting deer in the woods does not cause problems with predators. The buzzards, crows, rats, possums, skunks, etc. will most likely have that cleaned up before the next morning before coyotes ever have a chance at it. It's a random gut pile. Critters die in the woods all the time.

Having a designated place to dump all your deer relics could work to your advantage if you would then trap the coyotes or get someone to trap them while the coyotes are visiting that area.
Yeah I was gonna say how do you "properly dispose of a deer"? Have it cremated?

ucfireman

They are a big problem. They tend to zero in on a area and exhaust the resources there. I have learned much about yotes. Rabbit hunters will leave with thier dogs when rabbits run a straight line instead of circling. Yote rabbits will ruin a dog. The deer will swap from rabbit to fawns. When rabbit populations are good deer are often devastated. Then vise versa when deer population is good rabbit populations are down. The prolonged rut in GA leads to many fawns killed. The DNR is more aware of the problem than you think. Georgia partnered with another state to research coyotes. It was a big expense! I was told the research showed that yotes will target one area until resources run out. Then they leave. One side of the highway will be infested with coyotes. The other side will be less impacted. They seem to struggle to get solid data because of this behavior. Also in some parts of our state paid trappers get paid and then go release the coyote. Job security. Don't ever pay a trapper until you see the dead yote.

A friend who "fox huts" on horse back used told me they used to relocate coyotes so they would have something to chase. I told them to stop but I'm sure it is more prevalent than we think,

Some say our southeastern yotes may have wolf DNA. Have seen some large one's, and that could be. Two were shot in a club I was in, Macon Co. Al, they weighed over 60 pounds each. They were chasing deer. IN SW Ga, have seen yotes in normal color, black and red. The red variety seem to be shorter than the others.

I wonder how many are bred with domestic dogs, Lose pit bulls. labs german shepherd types. Maybe that's where the colors and sizes come from?

buckpasser

A friend who "fox huts" on horse back used told me they used to relocate coyotes so they would have something to chase. I told them to stop but I'm sure it is more prevalent than we think,

I wonder how many are bred with domestic dogs, Lose pit bulls. labs german shepherd types. Maybe that's where the colors and sizes come from?

There have certainly been instances of coy-dog crosses, but if you study how they breed, it would be pretty unlikely to find that in an area that has a steady supply of coyotes to find as mates (anywhere in N America now). I assume a willing male transient might breed a stray dog, but a male dog “packing up” and breeding a female seems far fetched as well stocked as they’ve become.

Oh, and moving a coyote around wouldn’t really change anything at this point. They’re moving over this country like current over a river rock now.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Yes sir. Folks can talk all they want about how far they roam, their genetic make-up, and not being able to trap all of them, but when you take out 19 pair of sharp teeth coupled with 19 hungry stomachs you're saving a good number of fawns, turkeys, and rabbits. I agree wholeheartedly with you and am looking forward to seeing less yotes and more deer on the place.

Yes sir. I have seen 3 hens and heard 2 gobblers all turkey season. I have trail cam pics of a half dozen yotes and saw one Saturday am and me with no gun. That's fixing to change.

Yesterday my wife and I witnessed a coyote chasing and attacking a full grown deer. We had an open view across a pasture as the coyote chased the deer along a farm pond dam, into the pasture and attack its hindquarter. The deer ran limping into the pond and the coyote did not follow. Long story short...after swimming, running and swimming again the deer escaped toward us. The coyote stayed on the far hillside for 10 minutes after the deer finally disappeared still limping from the experience. I imagine the deer would have been killed if it had not come toward us. I wished I had a rifle since the coyote would not respond to me yelling and making noise.

Bob2010

I don't hunt out in Mcduffie anymore. The trapper sold his yotes to the fox hunting plantation. Dang totes were turned out and came right back to our land. I even went to the museum and read about the fox hunting heritage in that area. They claim to be helping control the yote population. They buy them live and chase them to the property line in tight pants on a horse. Big money operation! Trappers bank 2x atleast on the same yote.

Bowyer29

Y'all just a hateful bunch. Coyotes can be very loving if you'd just give them a chance. I owned one as a pet for about a day, his name was Wile E. He was just a sweet as he could be, especially with my cat. His name is Slash, and he and Wile E got along great for the short period of time I had him. At least I thought. Just look at this sweet video of the two of them playing together in my living room. Sadly, a day after I took this video, Wile E was savagely attacked and mauled to death by Slash. All I found were bits and pieces of Wile E buried in Slash's litter box. To his day, I don't know where the rest of his body went.

:cry:

The only good I have seen from the coyote population is the serious dent made int eh feral cat issue.

sleepr71

The only good I have seen from the coyote population is the serious dent made int eh feral cat issue.

I really don’t think they catch that many feral cats. I do think that they catch the lazy house cats out away from houses… Unsuspecting...and then wile e. coyote comes along and sees an easy meal. Boom… Somebody’s house cat is gone! Sad. We have lost 2 that way. I see feral cats that live for years sometimes and I know they have to encounter Coyotes !

Wifeshusband

I don't hunt out in Mcduffie anymore. The trapper sold his yotes to the fox hunting plantation. Dang totes were turned out and came right back to our land. I even went to the museum and read about the fox hunting heritage in that area. They claim to be helping control the yote population. They buy them live and chase them to the property line in tight pants on a horse. Big money operation! Trappers bank 2x atleast on the same yote.

That is one of the craziest things I have ever heard. I fail to see how they are "control[ling] the yote population."

I've seen plenty of pictures of yotes attacking full grown deer, even bucks; but one thing I have never seen (someone post it if you've got it and I'll rejoice with everyone else) is a yote with a pig in it's mouth or yotes taking on grown pigs. We haven't seen a rabbit on the place in years, turkey population is down, and deer sightings not as numerous as they were at the turn of century. Landowner and everyone else down there assign the coyote as the main reason why. I sincerely hope his trapper is not selling them as "foxes." He's not in it for money, he's in it for wildlife management.

buckpasser

That is one of the craziest things I have ever heard. I fail to see how they are "control[ling] the yote population."

I've seen plenty of pictures of yotes attacking full grown deer, even bucks; but one thing I have never seen (someone post it if you've got it and I'll rejoice with everyone else) is a yote with a pig in it's mouth or yotes taking on grown pigs. We haven't seen a rabbit on the place in years, turkey population is down, and deer sightings not as numerous as they were at the turn of century. Landowner and everyone else down there assign the coyote as the main reason why. I sincerely hope his trapper is not selling them as "foxes." He's not in it for money, he's in it for wildlife management.

I see hog hair in coyote scat occasionally, but I don’t know if it’s killing or just scavenging that got it there.

Bob2010

All about the money! Trappers are barely making anything even if they sell a yote twice. The fox hunting plantations charge big money! People come from all over the world to fox hunt. No dang foxes! They run yotes. I felt like I better not say anything for years. But they put the stuff on display in the museum about a heritage of fox hunting. What can they say? They claim to be helping to control the population. They never kill them and they have to stop at the property line.

buckpasser

I’m not familiar with any places hunting “foxes” outside of an enclosure. The redhills, English riding type folks are in quail plantation country and I don’t think they have to import anything to run. There are plenty of coyotes there naturally. Most trapper sold live market coyotes are released into a pin and dogs are graded inside the fence by running them there. There could be some escapees, but I don’t think the coyotes last too long normally.

Hillbilly stalker

Got a guy in the county that runs a “ fox pen” ( read coyote). When a tree falls and takes out a fence, if they get out they will follow his truck back to the gate and go right back in. He feeds them every morning. They know where their bread is buttered. He has hog wire and electric both. He even worms them somehow. They have to be healthy to run every weak. Males don’t last long, they turn around and fight....and lose usually. He buys them from trappers as long as they don’t have a hurt foot.

buckpasser

Got a guy in the county that runs a “ fox pen” ( read coyote). When a tree falls and takes out a fence, if they get out they will follow his truck back to the gate and go right back in. He feeds them every morning. They know where their bread is buttered. He has hog wire and electric both. He even worms them somehow. They have to be healthy to run every weak. Males don’t last long, they turn around and fight....and lose usually. He buys them from trappers as long as they don’t have a hurt foot.

Send me his name and number. Haha

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The ones around here also dock the coyote's tails, I guess so the dogs can't grab them? I've killed a couple tailless scarred-up ones that I assume escaped from a pen.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Most of the studies show a good bit of wolf DNA, but not a lot of dog DNA in eastern yotes. Some of them have a small portion.