So, you catch a huge bass.

So, you catch a giant bass, let's say 15 plus pounds.

Got a few questions:

How do you locate a certified scale?

How would you keep it alive until you found said certified scale?

Most of my bass fishing is in small private ponds on a 2 man pond prowler with electric motor.

I have caught several 10 and 11 pound range and saw a 15 pound taken from our pond. The guy who caught it ate it, it was by far the biggest bass I've laid my eyes upon. I have lost a few big ones myself in the same pond.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Have scales with you and release them bigguns for you can always catch em again in the same spot except next time they will weigh more.
My neighbor caught what seemed to be the same bass several years apart. I think it weighted 14lb 9 ounces the last time. Still the pond record unofficial in far back as I know about that 7 acre pond.
Or eat a bunch of little ones.
But you could set a tank of sorts up with a pump on site for future records. Just be ready to start it up with lake water soon as when you catch it and find some certified scales in advance if you can. I had a tank ready and it worked well temporarily for anything.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Why do you need the scales to be certified? Unless you catch one that tops 22lb 4oz, what good does a certified scale do you? Georgia doesn't recognize private pond records, do they? If you really want to know, buy yourself a hand held scale and keep it in your boat. And while your'e at it, add a flexible measuring tape. Catch that trophy bass, take its measurements and pictures and put it back to make more little bass. Then send the pics and measurements to someone that makes quality replicas and have a trophy that will last.

Why do you need the scales to be certified? Unless you catch one that tops 22lb 4oz, what good does a certified scale do you? Georgia doesn't recognize private pond records, do they? If you really want to know, buy yourself a hand held scale and keep it in your boat. And while your'e at it, add a flexible measuring tape. Catch that trophy bass, take its measurements and pictures and put it back to make more little bass. Then send the pics and measurements to someone that makes quality replicas and have a trophy that will last.

This is what caused me to start thinking about the topic. Heck, it's not for me at all!!
https://www.gon.com/fishing/14-1-2-pound-bass-caught-in-hart-county

If you’ll send GPS coordinates to the pond that holds them I’ll look up certified scales and send you a list...
?
Jim

Sure thing. All private ponds. :p

I'm just more curious about the details after reading the article more than anything else. If I catch a monster, I'll take pics and release barring any extenuating circumstances.

weagle

Here's a good video on getting your own certified scale. If you want to chase some of the Lake and River records that are certified by GON, you need to have access to a certified scale among other requirements. The good thing about having your own is you can release the fish if it's not one you want to mount or make fish tacos out of.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

fish hawk

Bass Master
Why do you need the scales to be certified? Unless you catch one that tops 22lb 4oz, what good does a certified scale do you? Georgia doesn't recognize private pond records, do they? .
They dont have private water records but a fish from private water can be recognized as a state record

catchdogs

Most feed / meat stores have certified state scales must have two witnesses to verify and scale must be state certified . My 16 pounder was weight at a meat plant on state scales . Will also need girth and length measurements also.

James12

Most feed / meat stores have certified state scales must have two witnesses to verify and scale must be state certified . My 16 pounder was weight at a meat plant on state scales . Will also need girth and length measurements also.

16, that’s Yuge! Got a pic?

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Don't know about now, but back when I was twelve we took the bass to a local bass tournament that went on for months I think.
Closest I've come to getting to that weight is 13 1/2 pounds Caught in the 70's in Lake Thonotosassa, Hillsborough Co. Fl.

Attachments

• Bass2.jpg
    Bass2.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Bass1.jpg
    Bass1.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 24