Solar farms on the rise? Fad or future?

Anyone else noticing the influx in "solar farm leases" for middle GA?

Our landowner is weighing the lease option for a large portion of his timber tract and I know of two different tracts in two different counties that recently signed on to break ground by EOY.

Anyone here hunt on land that shares a lease with one?

Mars

They are putting in a pretty big one a few miles from me. It was some good looking farm/hunting land. I'm guessing they're going to cover a couple hundred acres.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Can’t figure out why they call it a farm when NOTHING can grow. It should be called a lot…..then again, a parking lot is more attractive than a field full of panels

Mars

This farmland on all 4 corners of the intersection is being covered for solar "farm"Screenshot_20230812_063358_Maps.jpg

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Can’t figure out why they call it a farm when NOTHING can grow. It should be called a lot…..then again, a parking lot is more attractive than a field full of panels
What we should be doing if we're going to go with these solar farms is to put them OVER the parking lots to shade them like a few places have done. That way we're not wasting good farmland and we're shading asphalt which contributes to higher temperatures in cities. Personally, I'm for home solar but if we're going to go with solar farms, we ought to do it a better way like I mentioned.

Big7

The Oracle
Massive solar farm around Hard Labor Creek/Lake Rutledge.

Knowing a LOT about plastics over a 40 year career, I can tell you plastic, even with UV inhibitors, don't last long in the sun.

I don't know what the "expected" life span is but it will be about half of what they claim. And... It takes a lot of oil to make monomer and polymer and a lot of fossil fuel or nuclear electricity to process plastics, aluminum, silver and copper.

Colossal waste of time and money. Not to mention otherwise productive LAND. And it DEFINITELY ain't "green".

Last edited:

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
What we should be doing if we're going to go with these solar farms is to put them OVER the parking lots to shade them like a few places have done. That way we're not wasting good farmland and we're shading asphalt which contributes to higher temperatures in cities. Personally, I'm for home solar but if we're going to go with solar farms, we ought to do it a better way like I mentioned.
Wasting good farmland is part of it I believe.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
And, they're all one good hailstorm away from oblivion.
I don't know how they've survived the hailstorms they already have. It seems that some of the golf ball and baseball sized hail would destroy them.:huh:
Now that I think of it, a lot of them are moveable to follow the sun. Maybe they turn them vertical so they can't be hit flush?

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
And, they're all one good hailstorm away from oblivion.
I can practically see my brother in law rubbing his hands together telling my sister the field behind my granny’s house needs to be turned into one at some point in the future. I also see me throat punching and then boot stomping him while my sister hollers “Brad, stop!”

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
They built a couple around here. To be so-called "green" energy, they are the most sterile, lifeless, ruinous of the land places I have ever seen in my life.

sportsman94

They are popping up here more and more frequently. Had a buddy just lost his lease cause they are putting them in. I’ve heard in some places the reflection of the sun is causing birds flying over to burst into flame. Glad PETA just focuses on hunting and farming and not damage done to animals by “green” energy sources

Kev

What happens when the government changes their mind of this type of solar farming and quits throwing money towards it. There’s better places solar panels could be put but instead we are losing farm land and deforesting large blocks. I thought they were against deforestation.

specialk

solar farms have been around for years, ain't going anywhere for awhile...

sprewett

The ones around our family land in Jeff Davis county are surround by high fences so I couldn't imagine hunting in them. I could have misread the OP sorry if I misunderstood. Farmers sold their land for an exorbitant amount of money and moved on most were elderly and tired or their children which didn't really care to carry on the tradition. Our land is surrounded by them. Which is great for us because our 100 acres use to be just a pass through but now they stay because we are about the last patch of woods standing.
I read somewhere that chemicals leach into the soil in the solar fields and they are completely sure of the repercussions. Of course that was in the Internet so it could be false. At any rate if any of y'all get to hunt in one show is a few pics of deer ya kill.