South Georgia Youth Squirrel Hunt

state159

Mr. Larry Bland wanted me to announce that a youth squirrel hunt is planned for Feb. 26, 2011 and the meet up point will be at Big Hammock WMA outside of Glennville, GA. A big "thank you" goes to Mr. Larry for his dedication in planning this event as he has already secured private land permissions for several casts, received donated prizes and has acquired donations for the lunch provided. Also, several squirrel dog owners have committed to participate. Big Hammock is on Hwy. 144, south of Glennville and it borders the Altamaha River. Last year's hunt ,which was held outside of Jesup, was excellent and this one should be also. Mr. Larry Bland can be reached at 912-237-3910 for more information.

Thank You,
Ronny Staten

ryan_beasley

Sounds great Mr. Ronny and Mr. Larry! I will be there and be glad to help in any way I possibly can! Looking forward to it!

crackerdave

Folks,if any of you can possibly make it to this hunt,I promise you and your kids will have a blast.Ronny and Larry - as well as Ryan and many others - really brought it all together last year.That lil' feller in my avatar picture won the hearts of everybody there, as did Samantha and her expert squirrel-cleanin',and the work that Larry did getting donations for the drawing was nothing short of amazing! I believe this year he has has outdone himself - I spoke with him on the phone last night,and he has gotten two single-shot 20 gauge shotguns, among other goodies.Last year the kids each had a pile of prizes!

I urge y'all - do what you can to support this hunt.It's vitally important that we get kids out hunting,and doggin' squirrels is a great way to start your son or daughter out hunting.They don't have to be so still and quiet as on a deer stand,and the dogs love it as much as the kids do! More dogs and handlers are needed,but most of all they need kids to come to this hunt!

There are a lot of voters out there that are either anti-hunting,or just don't care,and if we don't ensure that another generation of voters loves the sport,it ain't gonna be around!

Last edited:

sljones

Glad to see it's coming together again. I too encourage everyone/anyone that can to participate in this. Whether as a hunting guest or as a helper. Last year was loads of fun & we all made new friends. Count me in with a couple of dogs & at least two additional handlers & whatever else I can do. Should be able to handle two different casts for the day. Based on last year's prizes, we need to change Larry's name to Santa Claus. That was unbelievable.

state159

That sounds great fellows. The kids did all of the shooting at last year's hunt and I think they wound up with around 20-25 squirrels taken. To me there's nothing like watching a kid knock out a squirrel to a treed dog.

crackerdave

I agree,Ronnie! Especially when it's their first squirrel. Samantha got her first one at the west Georgia hunt up here.

state159

Yep, that Samantha is an impressive young lady. She can shoot and clean squirrels. There were several shooters that made spectacular shots too.

crackerdave

I'm not able to post pictures,for some reason. If I could,I've got some good ones from last year. It was a lot of fun for everybody,and I'm glad y'all are doing it again!:)

Braz

Howdy all,

I live in gwinnett, lilburn and am planning to make the trip. If anyone wouldlike to carpool wit us, Brooke 8, Nephew 7,Timber pup, we can pick you up on the way.

Options are to car camp night before, or head out Really Early.

If I can do anything to help out feel free to do the same.

PM or Email.

Braz / Brooke / Timber.

state159

Mr. Larry was talking the other night about if we had too many dog hunters and not enough kids, that the dog hunters could just go hunting there in Big Hammock WMA and it would still be a nice trip. Big Hammock is huge with a lot of bottomland.

jlb54

Still getting donations and trying to locate new land that hasn't been hunted. This year we're planning to let the kids have a shooting contest and give trophies.Should have plenty of handlers and dogs if everyone that has called shows up, but you can never have too many. Everyone is invited, bring your kids they will have a great time along with the adults. Also this is my first post without help, so bear with me. Thanks to all that have helped to bring this together.
Larry

crackerdave

Mr. Larry was talking the other night about if we had too many dog hunters and not enough kids, that the dog hunters could just go hunting there in Big Hammock WMA and it would still be a nice trip. Big Hammock is huge with a lot of bottomland.
In my experience,not all who expect to be there are able - things come up at the last minute,and there's always a few who just can't make it.I would suggest putting the word at at local churches,through the youth pastor,and inviting as many local folks as possible.The nice grandma at Beaver Creek campground,where we stayed last year,has some grandsons that would love to come.
Still getting donations and trying to locate new land that hasn't been hunted. This year we're planning to let the kids have a shooting contest and give trophies.Should have plenty of handlers and dogs if everyone that has called shows up, but you can never have too many. Everyone is invited, bring your kids they will have a great time along with the adults. Also this is my first post without help, so bear with me. Thanks to all that have helped to bring this together.
Larry
No need to "bear witcha," Larry - ya done good!:cool: Sure am glad to see you here!
Howdy all,

I live in gwinnett, lilburn and am planning to make the trip. If anyone wouldlike to carpool wit us, Brooke 8, Nephew 7,Timber pup, we can pick you up on the way.

Options are to car camp night before, or head out Really Early.

If I can do anything to help out feel free to do the same.

PM or Email.

Braz / Brooke / Timber.
Braz- Not sure how far it is from the huntin' grounds,but there's a nice campground near Jesup that me and a few other folks stayed at last year.The elderly lady who runs it would be glad to have y'all! I think it's her main income,and not much business this time of year.Also some reasonable motels in the area.

state159

Big Hammock has an open area right off the highway. The game warden may allow primitive camping for this event. Mr. Larry may know if camping is allowed.

jlb54

Talked to the game warden there is primitive camping-tents or trailers. Will have plenty of firewood cut at site,also shooting range across road .I will be at Big Hammock on Friday if I can help anyone.Larry-912-237-3910

state159

is there going to be benching and what is considered a youth

If you are asking about any kind of competiton, then no, it's just kids taking turns shooting squirrels. We've never discussed maximun age but I would say if a young person wants to come shoot, that's fine. A shell is not chambered until everyone is in place and the dog handler says "shoot". Safety is the most important aspect of the hunt. Thanks for the question. I hope I answered it.

Ronny Staten