South Georgia Youth Squirrel Hunt

HDDyna06

Count us In

Mr Larry, Ronny, Others,

Myself and one other Dog Man can be there in support. I have Primer, a 2yr old Brindle OMC that has done well this year. Other gentleman has a 6yr old OMC that is proven. Both love the kids. Dogs work great together and no aggression at the base of tree or on the harvest.

Meeting time at Big Hammock? This week has started at 7am for us but the river has thrown some challenges on the Griffin Ridge end.

Roy
912-210-6874

jlb54

Roy

Would be glad for ya'll to come if we have to many handlers and dogs we'll send two handlers on each cast. We'll let one set of dogs hunt the first hour then hunt the other dogs. Really can't tell who will show up.Hope the water falls out. Still have some high land and some around Jesup that we hunted last year.

state159

I'd be happy for there to be more dogs than kids that show up. That would be better than the other way around. Thanks Roy and Tom for your support.

Ronny

jlb54

river expected to fall

Hopefully the river will start falling tomorrow,no rain expected up state, so we'll be fine. Don't know if the gate to Big Hammock will be open,will talk to DNR tomorrow. I think they will open it for the youth hunt. At least the meeting and camping land at front gate will be dry. Will post later tomorrow after talking to DNR.

crackerdave

Great talkin' to Mr.Larry Blunt on the phone today - what an amazing job he has done getting this hunt together!:clap: I'm tellin' y'all the truth: If you have kids and they like to have BIG fun,you don't want to miss this hunt! :yeah:

jlb54

everything coming toghter

Good to hear from you Dave,checked the water at Big Hammock yesterday it's falling. We'll have dry land for camping and at shooting range with plenty of parking.Still have not got hold of dnr ranger to ask about opening gate.We have other land close by to hunt and hopefully the water will keep falling no rain expected.Might have someone willing to donate five or six feist pups for the kids drawing,these pups have the blood,the sire is a ATFA GR SQ CHAMPION if the man comes through someone will be getting some high powered pups free.

jlb54

Looking Great!!!

Gate to Big Hammock will be opened for youth hunt. Water is falling out, should be good hunting with wma not being hunted for three weeks. Will check water again today.

jlb54

Water still fallin, maybe it will be a little drier and not so much mud for the kids.Would really like to have roll call again to see who with dogs and also who can guide.Please post to get a head count.Weather man speaks of a little rain 40% for Friday,maybe it will hold off. I've got five or six guides already.The WMA will be opened for youth hunt Saturday.Big Hammock should be good with it not being hunted for three weeks. Some of the people bringing dogs already knows where to hunt in Big Hammock.Planning on meeting at Big Hammock around 6:00 Saturday.

Marshall R

My son is 15 and he said he would like to participate. I can bring Lucy and Ace and see what they can tree if they might be needed for dogs. They have been doing pretty good lately.

My son said that he would like to go down on Friday and camp out the night before. Can anyone give me some information on that as to where the rest of the folks involved with this will be camping.

Marshall

(478) 279-0232

jlb54

Marshall

Would be glad for ya'll to come and bring your dogs. Primitive camping at front gate of Big Hammock,will cut fire wood this week.I'll be there on Friday see ya'll then.Thank's Larry.

state159

My son is 15 and he said he would like to participate. I can bring Lucy and Ace and see what they can tree if they might be needed for dogs. They have been doing pretty good lately.

My son said that he would like to go down on Friday and camp out the night before. Can anyone give me some information on that as to where the rest of the folks involved with this will be camping.

Marshall

(478) 279-0232

Marshall, the area in front of the shooting range (just off Hwy. 144, north of the Altamaha River bridge) is an open area for primitive camping. I don't think there is electricity anywhere but there is a pitcher pump at the ranger's station but I'm not sure if it works. Better bring water, some lanterns and your own potty because this place is bare bones. Ace and Lucy should have a good time with the kids too.

Ronny

Marshall R

I have been advised by my wife that it is supposed to be rainy on Friday. That being said, I will not be camping if it is raining. I am still planning on coming down for the hunt on Saturday though. If it isn't raining, I would still come down and camp because my son wants to do that, but I draw the line to camping when it is supposed to be rain.

Marshall

LuckyBeasley

Larry I went by your house Sunday evening but your wife said you was out, I had a bow full of dogs lookin for a hunting partner

crackerdave

Only a 30% chance of rain Friday night,20% Saturday.[From the Ga.Forestry forecast,which is usually accurate.]

Lord willin', I'll be there Friday afternoon at the camping area at Big Hammock.I'm looking forward to a good campfire Friday night, [hopefully,somebody besides me will bring a guitar:)]and a great time watchin' kids and dawgs chase tree-rats Saturday!:banana:

Hope to do some kayak fishin',too. I'll bring some crappie fee-lays - can somebody bring a fish-fryer Friday night? I'll bring a jar of Cindy's Nearly World Famous Datil Pepper Sauce.

Last edited:

jlb54

come on down south

Dave looking forward to seeing you at the hunt. I'll try to find a fish cooker and round up some more fish and potatoes.There's nothing like fresh cooked fish/fries and hushpuppies with a nice cold glass of ice tea.Hopefully the rain will hold off,the river is really fallin giving us more land every day.What time do you think you'll make it Friday.

Marshall R

Is there room for a fifth wheel camper there? I called my friend from Jacksonville, FL and he wanted to know if he could just drag his fifth wheel camper up and park it there for the hunt?

Marshall.

state159

Is there room for a fifth wheel camper there? I called my friend from Jacksonville, FL and he wanted to know if he could just drag his fifth wheel camper up and park it there for the hunt?

Marshall.

I would say yes to the camper. There's ample room to set one up.

Ronny

jlb54

Lucky Beasley

Wish I had been home always wanted to hunt with some high powered rat dogs. Are you coming to the youth hunt, Big Hammock will be open for the hunt.Hope to see you there,let me know. Thanks Larry!

crackerdave

Dave looking forward to seeing you at the hunt. I'll try to find a fish cooker and round up some more fish and potatoes.There's nothing like fresh cooked fish/fries and hushpuppies with a nice cold glass of ice tea.Hopefully the rain will hold off,the river is really fallin giving us more land every day.What time do you think you'll make it Friday.
I'm hoping to be there early afternoon - I'm really looking forward to it!