Spider Web

Bones

I could not believe how strong spider webs are until I saw a bird caught in one. I love a fire and love to sit around a fire drinking coffee or tea. I was building a fire in my fire pit to sit by and solve my and the worlds problems when I looked up and there was a spider web between 2 trees and a large finch was caught in it. I had to look twice to believe what I saw. the bird was wore out from trying to get out of the spider web. I got a stick and threw it up in the spider web and the first thing I got down was the spider. He was not huge and could not believe he could make a web that strong. After about half a dozen more throws I got the bird loose. He flew to a limb on a nearby tree and sit there with one wing out that looked to be injured. I kept my eye on him and he was still sitting there at dark but was gone the next morning. The thing you see out in the country living. I cannot tell you all the great things of God's I have seen while hunting, fishing or just sitting by the fire.

Bones

Redbow

My Wife hates Spiders but she don't mind a Snake. I used to hate walking into a Spiders web while hunting in the fall. Something about being wrapped up around the head with the thing and how hard it was to get it off. I didn't mind the Spider, just its web.

basstrkr

I got a friend who would take on a bear with a hickory switch but you just say "spider" and he gets antsy.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
My Wife hates Spiders but she don't mind a Snake. I used to hate walking into a Spiders web while hunting in the fall. Something about being wrapped up around the head with the thing and how hard it was to get it off. I didn't mind the Spider, just its web.

I’m the same way. I don’t mind a spider(don’t freak me out like some folks), but I don’t like walking into a web. I usually just barrel right through the ones I see, it’s the ones I don’t see and walk into that bother me.

I got one on me yesterday that was strung across a very wide area of my lawn. That had to be about the largest span across an open area I’ve ever seen, not to mention how strong that strand was. I’ve never seen one like that, that I remember.

natureman

Joro spiders are definitely on the increase. I saw a pic yesterday of a hummingbird tangled up in a spider web. It was interesting in that they eat spiders and use their webs as well as other material to build their nest.

oldfella1962

Joro spiders are evil looking! :eek:
I first saw them in Korea quite a few years ago.

jollyroger

I read something years ago (maybe National Geographic or Popular Science?) that said if you could scale a spiders line up to the thickness of a pencil it would be strong enough to stop a 747 in flight.

Don't know if that's true but I don't have much reason to doubt it given how strong their webs are at their current diameter.

oldfella1962

I read something years ago (maybe National Geographic or Popular Science?) that said if you could scale a spiders line up to the thickness of a pencil it would be strong enough to stop a 747 in flight.

Don't know if that's true but I don't have much reason to doubt it given how strong their webs are at their current diameter.

I saw something similar. It said if you made a cable 1/4 inch in diameter from black widow spider webbing it could lift some incredible amount of weight - it was many tons that much I do remember.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
Many years ago, I also remember something to the effect that if you could make a 1" diameter "rope" of sorts from a spider web, that it be capable of towing an Ocean Liner ship across the ocean.

I know that certain times of the year and also early mornings especially, the spider webs in the woods are so prevalent that I would always break and cut off about a 1" diameter green limb from a bush/tree and cut it about 3 foot long and would hold it upwards and outwards ahead of my face/head/body as I walked through the woods. It totally eliminated any spider webs from getting on me that way. I always tried to remember to leave this stick/limb by the gate when I was leaving as I reused it many times during the year. Of course, it didn't help the fact that I am 6' 4" tall either.

ps: It is really hard to get these spider webs cleaned off from your glasses and back to normal again too. :banginghe

oldfella1962

yup, 6'6 here and believe me we catch all the webs the rest of u dont quite reach. carry the stick high in front it is key

How long before the "as seen on TV" folks design & start selling some device to clear your way for spider webs? :LOL: Of course they will need some military special forces looking guys using it so they can call it "tactical" and run it over with a HUMVEE to show how durable it is.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
They are EVERYWHERE! There EVERYWHERE! Ran into one going to my car this morning. Straight in the face.:mad: H22 walks around the lower 40 with a big stick in hand swatting in front of him.

oldfella1962

They are EVERYWHERE! There EVERYWHERE! Ran into one going to my car this morning. Straight in the face.:mad: H22 walks around the lower 40 with a big stick in hand swatting in front of him.

I hope it's a long time before they migrate all the way down here to Augusta.

alphachief

You don’t know what fun is until you get a face full of banana spider while driving a swamp buggy down a tram just before sun rise.

Attachments

• 0042F306-CFC0-476A-A79A-8A62DEEED28F.jpeg
    0042F306-CFC0-476A-A79A-8A62DEEED28F.jpeg
    57.1 KB · Views: 3

oldfella1962

well they do weave a stylish golden web! But that doesn't make it worth running face-first into one. Not looking forward to this invasion.