Squirrel Dog Advice

dslc6487

I have a good little feist squirrel dog. She is about 5 years old. Have killed many squirrels over her in the past 4 years. I am 72 years old and have hunted her several times this year. About 2 weeks ago, I tripped in my shop, fell, and broke my left shoulder. I am in a sling for 6 weeks with strict orders not to move my left arm. Dr says that by doing this I may be able to avoid surgery, which I surely do not want. Every time I go out of the house. my little dog nearly tears down her pen. She knows it is squirrel hunting season. My question: I have a couple of friends that are willing to take her hunting, I have never let her hunt without me being there. These are good friends but they have never hunted with my dog, but I trust them completely. They mostly deer hunt and have asked me in the past if they could go squirrel hunting with me but we could never work our schedules to get it done. My fellow squirrel hunters, what is your advice? Would you allow your dog to go along with friends without you being there? I don't think I have ever been this depressed in my life. I love to squirrel hunt and I love my dog. We are a good team. Tripped and fell because of my own stupidity and carelessness. Makes me so mad at myself. Also, if my dog does not hunt much this year and if I am able to go next year, will she still be as good as she is now and pick up where she left off, or, will she tend to forget her skills? Any advice and words of assurance will be appreciated. And, to all of my few hunters, wishing you and yours a very MERRY CHRISTMAS

Hillbilly stalker

Man I sure hate your in that predicament . If your dog has a good handle on her and any of your buddies are decent dog men, it should be alright. I would have a little talk with them about the way I hunted her tho. Some guys who don't know better will pull vines and shoot nest without the dog being treed and that can lead to problems, or they shoot squirrels they see, but the dog is off somewhere. I don't know if you have her tone trained, but I would have explicit instructions on toning and shocking . They would also have to agree to go to every single tree, no matter what. And you would have to be alright with the fact that something out of their control could happen to her, roads, coyotes and deer hunters or theft. The flip side, if you put her up for awhile, it won't hurt her, she may get a little rusty but it doesn't take but a couple hunts to get her right back. Your sounds like she lives for squirrels. Is their anyway you can road hunt her and have someone else go to the tree ? Take care of that shoulder and Merry Christmas.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
I bet it would take some doing for your dog to hunt for someone other than you. A fiest is a funny little critter..... Like HS says, take a golf cart or 4 wheeler out and a couple of buddies. Let em go to the tree

TurkeyH90

Unless they had owned or own tree dogs I would say no for several of the reasons above especially what HS said. People that dont run dogs just dont automatically know how to handle one.

jimdog

a 5 year old dog will pick right back up when your ready to hunt. As much as you seem to care about her you should keep her in hand unless someone is experienced and trust worthy. Good luck on your recovery.