Squirrels on WMAs

Looking at the regulation book there isn't much opportunities to hunt squirrel in Georgia WMAs. I only see small game dates listed on a few areas and none near me.
Am I misreading this? I don't understand why DNR would limit squirrel hunting this much.

Toliver

Hmmm... I never paid attention to that before. I just assumed you could hunt the WMA during the normal season unless specifically excluded for quota hunts. But this year's hard copy is so full of errors I would have to call and ask if I had any doubts.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I'm pretty sure it's state seasons except for during big game hunts unless otherwise noted.

The regulations have left a lot of stuff to be unmentioned or vague this year for certain.

They must have a diversity hire overseaing all that now.

@Toliver
1eyefishing
I agree with you both. The strange thing is on pg 38, where General WMA Regs are addresed it says small game is subject to statewide regs except where noted. Then if you go to the individual WMA list Keg Creek (for example, it's the closest to me) doesn't list small game, it lists deer, turkey, coyote and no camping.
But, Altamaha WMA (as an example, just the first one in the book) does list small game. I think I'm gonna call DNR tomorrow.
This could get some folks in a bind. I'll post their answer here. Ain't no sense in them making it so complicated.

Toliver

I can't understand why they give hog hunting rules under the coyote heading. Or why there's a coyote season to start with. Makes no sense to me at all.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
You can small game hunt any time during the small game season as long as a quota deer hunt or quail hunt is going on.

I can't understand why they give hog hunting rules under the coyote heading. Or why there's a coyote season to start with. Makes no sense to me at all.
Yeah, I don't remember seeing specific coyote regs. If I'm not mistaken coyote has always been under small game.

You can small game hunt any time during the small game season as long as a quota deer hunt or quail hunt is going on.
That's what we all think. That's how it's been in the past. But the reg book is vague at best and dang near poor (on this subject at least) this year. I have no interest in trying to guess what them state workers had in mind when they wrote the '23-24 reg book. I ain't gonna try to out-think morons.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
That's what we all think. That's how it's been in the past. But the reg book is vague at best and dang near **** poor (on this subject at least) this year. I have no interest in trying to guess what them state workers had in mind when they wrote the '23-24 reg book. I ain't gonna try to out-think morons.
And I'll just keep taking the dogs to the wma to hunt. There's no way they can show me where It says I can't.

I called DNR today. Spoke with a very nice lady. Ya'll got it right. State wide regs/dates unless otherwise noted. She also said that there has been more complaints and questions about the way the reg book is written than a little bit.
I appreciate all the replies. It's good to be able to bounce questions off other folks.

JCShadow

I called DNR today. Spoke with a very nice lady. Ya'll got it right. State wide regs/dates unless otherwise noted. She also said that there has been more complaints and questions about the way the reg book is written than a little bit.
I appreciate all the replies. It's good to be able to bounce questions off other folks.
Thank you. Yes, the regs are very confusing or vague almost like they just want to write tickets.... We all need to call. My daughter want to go squirrel hunting so bad!!

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
So you can small game hunt during a scheduled 4 day non quota big game hunt?
That doesn't seem right to me.

Toliver

Thank you. Yes, the regs are very confusing or vague almost like they just want to write tickets.... We all need to call. My daughter want to go squirrel hunting so bad!!
I don't think the "want to write tickets" part is the problem. I talked to a game warden yesterday who was complaining about the regs, too. Maybe they should stop working so hard to fit in all the ads and just concentrate on putting in the proper hunting info in a clear and concise manner.

So you can small game hunt during a scheduled 4 day non quota big game hunt?
That doesn't seem right to me.

What is legal isn't always right, and what is right isn't always legal.

I don't deer hunt (yet) so I'm grateful they allow small game hunting when there are non-quota hunts. Now I don't want to ruin anyone else's hunting so I make sure to park far away from any other cars, and if someone whistles I turn around around and walk the opposite way, and I also try to come after 9am most mornings.

I don't think the "want to write tickets" part is the problem. I talked to a game warden yesterday who was complaining about the regs, too. Maybe they should stop working so hard to fit in all the ads and just concentrate on putting in the proper hunting info in a clear and concise manner.
@Toliver
That's exactly right. Make it clear and easy to understand. I don't want to try and interpret what they mean or the intention of the law. Tell me what I can and can't do.
No sense in trying to guess what some ya-hoo had in mind when he wrote the book.

Robust Redhorse

Yep, the regulation book was very confusing this year.

Maybe next year's version will get better editing.

For example -

As I understand it, and in talking with MANY people that work for DNR, it is legal to take a doe with a bow from September 9 through January 14 anywhere where deer hunting is legal in the entire state through January 14.

If you can find anywhere in the book where that is clearly stated, please enlighten me.

@Robust Redhorse
According to page 23 of the book it is not legal to kill a doe with archery equipment all season.
For example, Towns and Rabun counties are listed as either sex Sept 9 - Oct 13. The same for Fannin and Union counties. There is a pretty good map and explanation on pgs 22 and 23.
Again, that's according to the book. I'm not quoting it as gospel because I don't have much faith in the way the book is written.