Starting back

Hello all. I haven't been turkey hunting since I was a teenager but I have decided I'm taking it up again. I plan on hunting an area that is ridge heavy. It is where I currently deer hunt. From what I've read just because you find turkey sign now doesn't mean much for spring. My problem is I haven't heard or seen anything. Do I just need to burn more boot leather and is this a bad sign?

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
For spring hunting, I'd say you are too early to be scouting unless you are familiarizing yourself with the terrain. Seasonal food sources, flock make-up and break-up, mating instincts will change things around regarding the where and when of turkeys. I'd wait until a few weeks before the third Saturday in March to start listening.

Timber1

BANNED
If your staying on the ridge tops you may not see much sign unless you find a good food source. You should look in the hollows and saddles, heads of hollows, where they cross from one low place to another. The leaf fall will cover their scratching pretty quickly right now.

GLS, I haven't hunted the area in years. I am trying freshen up my memory regarding the lay of the land while I'm deer hunting.

Timber1, I am on the ridge tops using old logging road switch backs to get to the top. There are about a billion leaves falling right now.

So don't sweat it now and wait until closer to March to go to the ridge tops to listen?

Thank y'all for the help. I'm sure I'll have more questions. Any recommended reading, other than the forum?

returntoarchery

So don't sweat it now and wait until closer to March to go to the ridge tops to listen?

Correct. Turkey flocks' ranges change between fall/winter and spring/summer. Those seasonal ranges will overlap. The sign and turkeys you see now may or may not be in the overlapping section. If what you're seeing is not in the overlapping section they won't be there in the spring.

The map in this doc is an example:

http://dnr.wi.gov/files/PDF/pubs/ss/RS743.pdf

Get this book:

https://www.midwestturkeycall.com/books-turkey-hunting/535-wild-turkey-hunting-management.html

Listen to the included cd recording over and over.

Last edited:

GLS

One of my favorite books was an old Charlie Elliott book, title escapes me. A lot of anecdotal "me and Joe" stuff, but the two most practical bits of advice to me were: 1) Use a compass to go to a bird in a tree. Fall off the actual heading by a few degrees, but proceed along the azimuth you shoot towards him. If he stops gobbling or you detour around a tangle and get twisted around, you still have his direction and you can continue to close the distance. If you have fallen off a few degrees from his true bearing, you'll be less likely to bump him if you get too close and he has quieted.
2) If you set up close to him in the tree, make a tree call or two, or a simple cluck, softly. If he answers great. If he shuts up, even better. Resist further calling until he flies down. He has heard you and the likelihood of him calling up another hunter is reduced. Charlie put it this way: "let him sweat and gobble." Some birds will sit in a tree all day waiting for the hen to appear if you continue to call. It's better to wait until he hits the ground before resuming calling. If other hens are calling, all bets are off, especially if they are on the other side of the tree from him and where you sit. In this situation, you are on your own. ;)

Last edited:

returntoarchery

One of my favorite books was an old Charlie Elliott book, title escapes me. A lot of anecdotal "me and Joe" stuff, but the two most practical bits of advice to me were: 1) Use a compass to go to a bird in a tree. Fall off the actual heading by a few degrees, but proceed along the azimuth you shoot towards him. If he stops gobbling or you detour around a tangle and get twisted around, you still have his direction and you can continue to close the distance. If you have fallen off a few degrees from his true bearing, you'll be less likely to bump him if you get too close and he has quieted.
2) If you set up close to him in the tree, make a tree call or two, or a simple cluck, softly. If he answers great. If he shuts up, even better. Resist further calling until he flies down. He has heard you and the likelihood of him calling up another hunter is reduced. Charlie put it this way: "let him sweat and gobble." Some birds will sit in a tree all day waiting for the hen to appear if you continue to call. It's better to wait until he hits the ground before resuming calling. If other hens are calling, all bets are off, especially if they are on the other side of the tree from him and where you sit. In this situation, you are on your own. ;)

Putting the compass thing in my bag of tricks. And will number 2 as well.

thx

returntoarchery

I was looking at Cammenga H3. But I like that watch size one. After getting a Tritium watch I'll never go back to old photo luminous.

I too always carry a compass with me hunting.

GLS

I also have the DT-3 protractor compass by Cammenga. Any of their compasses are solid, well-made. I wish Suunto had tritium illumination. Tritium used to be found only in Luminox watches but there are more watch companies using the technology. It's nice having a watch you can see the time in pitch black darkness.
Same with the Cammenga line of compasses which also needle dampen quickly without the use of liquid fill which was the bane of Silva compasses.

JWT

I like to hear turkeys gobble & get lost, I've always been found a couple days later , no compass for me