Stop the madness....renaming Lake Lanier & Buford Dam?

bilgerat

Senior
They wanted to change the name of Buford dam too, The city of Buford and Buford Dam is named after confederate soldier Algernon Sidney Buford

westcobbdog

From my readings on Sidney Lanier the reb soldier, I can say he was about as soft and sentimental as a soldier could be, he had zero interest in pulling the trigger or shooting a yankee and today he would have def been woke. I will never use a new name of any sort to describe these places.

GunnSmokeer

A.S. Buford had this dam named for him because of his bringing a major railroad line through the area, right through Gainesville, which is now on the shore of the lake created by Buford Dam.

Map is from 1888, I think.

9129F311-2095-43C5-9D8E-839F9A5CB2E0.jpeg958830C8-D869-4B80-A0A5-39823DD8C123.jpeg

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Spent considerable part of my military life at Ft Bragg/Pope AFB. It will always be that to me.

pjciii

Can we just call them "lake" and "dam". We don't want offend someone 2 centuries from now.

ucfireman

But don't you know, if you rename the things that were named for the "racists" than all will be better.

Whites will stop being racists.
Blacks will stop killing each other.
Cops will stop enforcing the laws.
And we can go back to killing babies.

The current state of our Country is all because of these things named after these racists that helped set up our Country.

Renaming will not change anything but the idiots are too stupid to understand that.

Greene728

What the WOKE Contingent has is the voice and attitude. They don't have the numbers, but they are willing to get out and speak out and push, push, push. While the vast majority NON-WOKE sit quietly and privately speaks their mind. IF rhe NON-WOKE decides to get out, stand up and speak then all of the renaming and removing will cease. But until then, the erasing will continue. Because there is strength in numbers. But those numbers need to connect and participate.
Like Forest Bondurant said.

“It’s not the violence that sets a man apart. It’s the distance he is willing to go“.

GunnSmokeer

I heard on the car radio today while I was driving, that another military base has been renamed because the prior name was that of a man who served in the management some kind of railroad company along with Nathan Bedford Forrest. Or maybe he became friends with Forrest although N.B.F. did not serve the railroad corporation ? I'm not sure on the details but the bottom line is this man's loose association with a former (hated, infamous) Confederate general is what got the other guys name taken off the base.