Stopping line twist with inline spinners?

Impact97

Is there a trick to stopping line twist with ultralight inline spinners? I love using them at times, but hate using them due to line twist.

ryanh487

If you're getting line twist you're spooling the reel incorrectly. The line should be coming off the spool clockwise and kept under tension to feed onto the reel.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
If you're getting line twist you're spooling the reel incorrectly. The line should be coming off the spool clockwise and kept under tension to feed onto the reel.
That doesn't matter when you are throwing lures that have a natural tendency to spin. Your best bet is to add a tiny swivel somewhere in the mix if you are having major issues. I'd attach it via a small split ring at the lure.

Hillbilly stalker

I use a small swivel 12-18 inches above it. You will still get a little line twists….its just the nature of the beast with a inline spinner.

BoosterC

Install a semi permanent swivel by attaching a split ring and barrel swivel to all you in-line spinners before you go fishing.

If you can afford sampo swivels ... you're golden. The cheap brass barrel swivels will still stick sometimes.

weagle

Roostertails will twist 2 and 4lb mono like no body's business. I use a small Spro swivel 6-8" up the line.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have spent thousands of hours fishing with inline spinners, and I don't have issues at all with it. Throw those useless Rooster Tails as far as you can fling them, and get a quality spinner that the blade actually spins on instead of the whole lure, like Mepps or Blue Fox.

TurkeyH90

I have spooled them every way imaginable. My best tip is if you are in a boat start slowly trolling and feed the line out with nothing tied to it all the way to the spool. Pinch the line and reel it back in. This works pretty well but obviously you need a boat

WaltL1

I have spent thousands of hours fishing with inline spinners, and I don't have issues at all with it. Throw those useless Rooster Tails as far as you can fling them, and get a quality spinner that the blade actually spins on instead of the whole lure, like Mepps or Blue Fox.
Yeah Im not a fan of Rooster Tails either. Seems like the blade only spins if you reel against the current which surely isnt ideal. Panther Martin is my favorite but Mepps and Blue Fox works just as well.
Never really had any issues with line twist.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah Im not a fan of Rooster Tails either. Seems like the blade only spins if you reel against the current which surely isnt ideal. Panther Martin is my favorite but Mepps and Blue Fox works just as well.
Never really had any issues with line twist.
Yeah, and only then after you jerk it a few times. And the whole lure still spins. I include Panther Martin in the quality spinner class that won't twist your line. I've caught a lot of fish on them over the years. I just do a whole lot better with the other two I mentioned.

ASH556

Maybe I need to get you to teach me something. I've got some pretty old Mepps marked "Made in Finland" (maybe they still are?) that won't spin worth a flip. I don't see any major issues with them, but in the water they have issues. I'll post some pics later. Would love to use them if they'd work.

I'm a Panther Martin fan for what it's worth.

IMG_5276.jpeg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe I need to get you to teach me something. I've got some pretty old Mepps marked "Made in Finland" (maybe they still are?) that won't spin worth a flip. I don't see any major issues with them, but in the water they have issues. I'll post some pics later. Would love to use them if they'd work.

I'm a Panther Martin fan for what it's worth.

View attachment 1248405
Sometimes individual ones will get bent or messed up and not spin right, but I've never had issues at all getting a Mepps to spin. Do yours have the wide, round blade, or a narrow one like a roostertail? Those PMs like that one in your pic usually don't give me any problems, either.