Storms and fishing

oldboat

Question for some of you old tim. . .errr, experienced guys: How do strong storms effect the inshore fishing? Better, worse, no change?

MajorMaes

Water will be dirtier than normal, lots of sargassum, and current will likely be stronger today with the storm surge

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
A day or two one of the hurricanes came through close to Panama City years ago, a friend of mine was headed out of the pass at St Andrews Bay. He always trolled a king rig as he left out. When he got about 200 yards out from the mouth of the pass, he hooked and caught a nice sized sailfish. Folks on the beach watched that fight. Lot of red snapper and grouper were caught close in during that time too.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
From what I have read and seen, after Irma hit the keys, the fishing was fantastic inshore. They called it almost a flushing of the waterways and there was so much life afterwards.

oldboat

Thanks for the replies! Weather permitting I intend to be in the marshes around Brunswick this weekend!

Jimmy Lee Armel

Thanks for the replies! Weather permitting I intend to be in the marshes around Brunswick this weekend!
The first two repiles are very accuarate. Lots of fresh water will be dumped from inland and deft be on the lookout for debris. I am not sure what the keys or panama have to do with ga coastal fishing butI am pretty sure they do not have six to ten feet tide swings there (although I have never been). Be safe out there and take your time. Also, watch out for the guys that have been drinking all week and are on the water ripping around because they have cabin fever. Saftey first, and sencond will be fish like youre in GA not FL?????