Story of Mexico Trip as Requested

wvdawg

Staff member
MEXICO HUNTING TRIP

Getting there was an adventure. Flew to Tuscon on Thursday (April 9) and overnighted there. Up at 4:00am to meet up with two more hunters and our guide. Made a 2 hour drive to the border crossing in Douglas, AZ but stopped for supplies just before the border. Crossed into Mexico around 8:00 in the morning with no real problems. From here, we headed south on paved roads (at least that's what they called them) into the Sierra Madre Mountains of Sonora, Mexico. After a four hour drive along the Rio Sonora, we finally reached the entrance into three different ranches that shared a road back into the mountains. We had to cross the first two ranches to reach the third where our hunt took place. It was about a 30 minute drive on dirt roads through the first two ranches and then the dirt road abruptly ended at the gate entry to our ranch.

Cuco, our guide explained that the ranch was 16000 acres and the ranch house was located on the back side of the ranch. He had guided here during the winter months for Cous Deer and they were everywhere.
Less than a half mile in, we saw the first deer bedded below a ridge.

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    467.8 KB · Views: 2,796

wvdawg

Staff member
We probably saw a couple hundred more over the next few days. The road in had been cut in by bulldozer on steep mountain sides and followed natural rocky canyon bottoms and dry creek beds through the bottoms. And so began the journey through the ranch, up and down, back and forth, around one mountain to reach the next and wind our way through the rugged canyons toward the ranch.

Pretty soon we spotted the object of our travels, as this hen trekked up one of the steep slopes above our truck.
This was a mild incline compared to what we would soon encounter afield.

Attachments

• 1b.jpg
    1b.jpg
    459.3 KB · Views: 2,795

wvdawg

Staff member
We continued the trek through the rugged terrain, slowly making our way from one mountain to the next. As we topped a mountain there was a nice saddle that gave us a wonderful view back into the ranch where we were heading.

What a beautiful and isolated destination!

Attachments

• 1c.jpg
    1c.jpg
    353.8 KB · Views: 2,782
  • 1d.jpg
    1d.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 2,779

wvdawg

Staff member
We continued our rugged journey from mountain to mountain, through rocky canyons and driving across almost dry creek beds and through creek bottoms until we finally reached the ranch house - an hour and a half later! I was happy to get out of that truck! We met the ranch owner, Alejandro, who spoke enough broken English to communicate fairly well. Jesus and Judas were the cowboys who lived on and worked the ranch. Neither spoke English, nor did our cook, Deniece (cousin to Jesus) but man could she make a mean tortilla from scratch!

The ranch house had 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom and 1 kitchen area. We quickly unpacked and stowed our gear, had a quick bite to eat, and checked out the four wheelers and patterned the shotguns in preparation for the next day. There was no electricity (or generators) on the property. Everything was operated by propane and kerosene lamps. After a leisurely evening getting acquainted, planning for the next day's hunt, sharing a few cocktails and eating a wonderful dinner, we settled in for the night. I felt comfortable and secure in the serenity and solitude afforded this far away from civilization.

wvdawg

Staff member
We rolled out of bed at 4:00am and had a light breakfast (homemade tortillas with eggs and chopped sausage) before setting out on the first day of hunting. Cuco and I decided to head back along the low canyon bottom where we had entered the day before, as the cowboys had seen some birds in that direction. The cowboys accompanied the other two hunters to the high mountain range.
We rode the quad through the dark for about 45 minutes until we arrived at an old corral where we parked and gathered our gear. Then we walked through a natural canyon bordered by two huge rock walls. Hiking about a quarter mile over a ridge, the canyon opened up slightly (one of the widest spots of flat on the ranch). As the sky got light, we decided to hit a call and see if Mr. Tom was at home and awake - he was! The Goulds sounded off up a little side canyon about 150 yards away.

We walked another 30 yards to where the canyon held a small little patch of mesquites along a flat stretch of trail.

Attachments

• 2a.jpg
    2a.jpg
    395.9 KB · Views: 2,781
  • 2b.jpg
    2b.jpg
    407.3 KB · Views: 2,768

wvdawg

Staff member
Sent out a few soft yelps and he thundered again. The gobbler was working back and forth at the mouth of the canyon. I pointed Cuco to a tree where he waited as I walked ahead another 20 yards. The gobbler continued to sound off. When I got situated under a little mesquite tree about 20 yards to the right of the trail, I pulled out my favorite call, a copper pot that was made for me by Tim Sanford (Rut 'n Strut). A few soft yelps an purrs and Mr. Tom started heading my way, gobbling every few yards along the way.

The sun was just peeking over the mountain to my rear and when the bird came into view about eighty yards up the trail, he was lit up like a big bright light bulb, with those snow white feathers shining all the way down the trail. He never came out of strut the next fifty yards, and every time he gobbled, his neck was stretched out straight in front of him, parallel to the ground. When he got to thirty yards, I gave another yelp - he immediately came out of strut, stretching his long neck skyward with that big old head searching for his girlfriend. BOOM! I went running as he flopped off the side of the trail. I placed a boot on his head to keep him from breaking feathers off in the rocks. I sent a thank you upwards and relished the satisfaction.

Gobbler down! Royal Slam complete!

Attachments

• 2c.jpg
    2c.jpg
    412.9 KB · Views: 2,777
  • 2d.jpg
    2d.jpg
    384.1 KB · Views: 2,766

wvdawg

Staff member
Didn't even feel the rocky ride back to the ranch. I suppose the extra passenger balanced out the quad very well. Pictures were taken, the bird was caped out, (ate him for dinner Sunday night), enjoyed a celebration, and relaxation took over!

Attachments

• 2e.jpg
    2e.jpg
    450.5 KB · Views: 2,765

wvdawg

Staff member
Really enjoyed this experience. I am truly blessed to be able to partake in an adventure of this magnitude. My reward was enhanced by a magnificent sundown Saturday evening.

The only other turkey I killed on the trip was a fifth of 101, but man did it taste good!
Dennis

Attachments

• 2f.jpg
    2f.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 2,744

Uptonongood

Well done and congrats on a great bird!

PappyHoel

Boy what a time! Thanks for sharing with me.

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
What a great story to go with the pics!

tkyklr1

Great story and pics thanks for sharing.

joey1919

Can't beat that with a stick. Enjoyed your story and pics. Congrats.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Great story, and great pics to go with it! Congrats!

wvdawg

Staff member
Thanks everybody! Glad you enjoyed it.
Dennis

That's what it's all about. Great hunt and congrats. You see any of those Sonora mulies or sheep?

Nope, just a whole bunch of Cous deer and heard some Javelina in the bottoms.