Stump Killer

HughW2

I just cut down a trashy non specific tree; possibly a chinaberry. I am not positive; I just know I didn’t want it in my yard. The tree was right at a fence line and was causing damage. I want to insure that it doesn’t start to regenerate out of the old stump.

What would y’all recommend to prevent regeneration. I don’t want to have to apply several doses of herbicide, but I will if that is best idea.

HughW2

I have also heard you can drill holes down into stump and pour Epsom salts down into the holes. Thanks for ideas.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I have also heard you can drill holes down into stump and pour Epsom salts down into the holes. Thanks for ideas.
My PawPaw used buttermilk... but today's buttermilk ain't what it used to be.

TomC

Will spraying Glysophate on top of a stump in the spring keep it from sproutin or a brush herbicide like Crossbow or RM43?

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Will spraying Glysophate on top of a stump in the spring keep it from sproutin or a brush herbicide like Crossbow or RM43?
Glysophate is systemic.. gotta be soaked in by a green leaf then goes down to kill the root... if it can get that far.

TomC

Thats what I figured about Glysophate, was thinking Crossbow or RM43 might do the trick to keep stumps from sprouting. A 2nd mortgage may be in order to cover the spring herbicide shopping list.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Thats what I figured about Glysophate, was thinking Crossbow or RM43 might do the trick to keep stumps from sprouting. A 2nd mortgage may be in order to cover the spring herbicide shopping list.
Don't know about "new" stump killers, but what ever you do.. don't just pour it on top and or around it. Drill as big of holes you can in the stump and pour the stuff into it.

Jim Baker

Staff member
Or stump remover (potassium nitrate) you can get at the big box stores.

Had a 30 inch sweet gum taken down. couldn't grind because of water lines. Drilled 10 or 12, 1 1/2" holes
and poured in Stump Remover then covered top of stump. It took around 6 or 8 months but stump and the feeder roots all died. 1 year later now and stump
is gone and the liriope has completely covered over.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
All of the above, if you spray it right after you cut it, being sure to cover the cambium layer. I mean right after you cut it, within five minutes or so. Just use the straight concentrate, too, or at the most diluted 50/50 with a little water.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Glysophate is systemic.. gotta be soaked in by a green leaf then goes down to kill the root... if it can get that far.
Nope, it works just fine on fresh cut stumps or hack and squirt. I've killed thousands of invasive trees with glyphosate over the years. I put the straight 41% concentrate on there.

Ugahunter2013

Nope, it works just fine on fresh cut stumps or hack and squirt. I've killed thousands of invasive trees with glyphosate over the years. I put the straight 41% concentrate on there.
That is good to hear. I sprayed some straight Glyphosate on some sweet gum stumps I cut last week. I put some blue dye in the spray bottle so I could see it better to make sure I had the entire stump covered. Most were 1.5"

paulito

As NC said it has to be applied on a fresh cut. Coming back and doing it the next day or even later that evening doesn't work as well at all. The tree has already begun the process of "responding" to the wound and trying to protect itself from further damage. Have killed many of invasives as well with hack and squirt or stump treatments with Glypro