Stumps in Clearcut

Longhorn 16

Anyone have advice on clearing pine stumps? Land was cut two years ago and I am thinking about using a chisel plow to clear the land. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Sprayed the land a month ago and will burn in September.

Looking for a good plan clean up the mess.

K80

What do you want to do with the land?

Triple C

It depends on the size of the stumps left after clear-cutting. If pines were more than 12 yrs old you'll prolly need heavy equipment to get the job done. For quick clean up and a clean piece of dirt, bring in an excavator and dozer. They will make quick work of de-stumping your ground and piling it up to burn. I clear cut a little more than an acre of planted pines joining my largest field to make it bigger. Excavator and dozer made quick work of cleaning it up and having it ready to plant.

Light shaded area is what I had clear cut and after excavator/dozer work. Red circles are burn piles that are now long gone.
DJI_0002.jpg

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Are you wanting to do this work on the weekends or can you work during the week clearing the 40 acres?

Last edited:

j_seph

My dad would take his old 8n with a sub soiler I think is what it was called, had one hook on it. He would go beside the stump and drop it down ripping roots on couple sides then back up and hook it into stump. Sometimes it would raise tractor sometimes it would pull em up. If it didn't move he'd go to next one and hit that one a month or so later. Could have Ga Forestry come out and push em with a dozer possibly.

GeorgeShu

Big dozer makes quick work of most stumps. Pile and burn and be done with it. Forestry Commission works at a very reasonable price.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
You could buy a used excavator or dozier at auction and do it yourself then sell the equipment when your finished.It will take a few months,or you can pay someone to do it.I would not recommend using a small tractor as you will probably tear something up on it before your finished.
Proper tools for proper jobs. JMO.

misterpink

Or wait about 3 more years and they with pop out like a loose tooth with just a FEL or bobcat. Or they will just crumble. If you can't/ don't want to wait let the FC do it. Very reasonable and they have the right tools for the job.

NUTT

I would check with your local agencies to see if any permits for land disturbance are required when clearing more than an acre disturbed or if you are within 200 feet of state waters. Your county may be a local issuing authority for ldp's and can help you without going through EPD. If you are doing this for agricultural purposes you can get assistance from the NRCS and this could possibly make you exempt from any local ordinances.

tree cutter 08

40 acres will take a while unless you have a big dozer. Trackhoe stumps and use dozier with root rake to pile and clean topsoil.

baddave

Or wait about 3 more years and they with pop out like a loose tooth with just a FEL or bobcat. Or they will just crumble. If you can't/ don't want to wait let the FC do it. Very reasonable and they have the right tools for the job.
just work around it for now

Longhorn 16

You could buy a used excavator or dozier at auction and do it yourself then sell the equipment when your finished.It will take a few months,or you can pay someone to do it.I would not recommend using a small tractor as you will probably tear something up on it before your finished.
Proper tools for proper jobs. JMO.

I will be using a JD5100M. Just pulling a spring loaded chisel plow.

JackSprat

My dad would take his old 8n with a sub soiler I think is what it was called, had one hook on it. He would go beside the stump and drop it down ripping roots on couple sides then back up and hook it into stump. Sometimes it would raise tractor sometimes it would pull em up. If it didn't move he'd go to next one and hit that one a month or so later. Could have Ga Forestry come out and push em with a dozer possibly.

Excellent way to kill yourself.