subs!

lbzdually

Banned
your right, sorry i was thinkin about the vented boxes.

Vented and ported are the same thing. Most people call them vented when they use a square port and ported when they use a round port, but they do the same thing. What usually happens is either the person throws the sub in too small a ported box or one that is tuned too high. Putting them in one that is tuned too high will sound horrible with regular music, but hit hard with rap or bass CDs.

lbzdually

Banned
no problem, makes me think of the old days in college playing with these things. I had a friend who had an old toyota pickup dropped, he had 4 Fosgate 15's. It was actually painfull to be in his truck. We blew the seal out of the windsheild one time when the windows were rolled up. :cool:

I had 4 12's way back when and it hit very hard, but I had 2 12's later on that would put those 4 to shame. Audiomobile MASS 2012's off a 1200 watt RMS JBL amp.

mass_side.jpg

lbzdually

Banned
Here is a pic of what I have now in my HT room. I actually have 2 of them.

8776d1218066912-13av-2-build-picture-025.jpg

merc123

I have an MTX 12" 500 watt sub with matched Fosgate amp years ago. Amp was $100 and got sub off eBay for $50 and $30 for box. It was a sealed box with extremly clear and clean bass. Had it tested at 157 SPL at a sound shop. They wanted me to come compete with it because it was so good but blew up the speaker the Friday before.

If you just any some bass without breaking windows you could get an amp and new door speakers and run them off the amp.

Also I recommend wiring and on off switch. I could turn my sub off on my dash just in case I needed to (residential area at midnight). I wired it into the remote wire for the amp.

Last edited:

southernboy2147

Vented and ported are the same thing. Most people call them vented when they use a square port and ported when they use a round port, but they do the same thing. What usually happens is either the person throws the sub in too small a ported box or one that is tuned too high. Putting them in one that is tuned too high will sound horrible with regular music, but hit hard with rap or bass CDs.

vented and ported are 2 completely different sounds

lbzdually

Banned

lbzdually

Banned
I have an MTX 10" 500 watt sub with matched Fosgate amp years ago. Amp was $100 and got sub off eBay for $50 and $30 for box. It was a sealed box with extremly clear and clean bass. Had it tested at 157 SPL at a sound shop. They wanted me to come compete with it because it was so good but blew up the speaker the Friday before.

If you just any some bass without breaking windows you could get an amp and new door speakers and run them off the amp.

Also I recommend wiring and on off switch. I could turn my sub off on my dash just in case I needed to (residential area at midnight). I wired it into the remote wire for the amp.

If you hit 157, then you would have set the world record for a single 10 sealed by about 15db at least. The guy's meter must have been way out of whack.

southernboy2147

merc123

If you hit 157, then you would have set the world record for a single 10 sealed by about 15db at least. The guy's meter must have been way out of whack.

Maybe... I have no way to prove his accuracy. Just know what it read.

Sounded really good anyway and I would put it up against any ported box just on the cleanliness of the bass. Had amazing sound quality.

lbzdually

Banned
i aint gonna argue, but every vented box ive heard has had a loud woosh sound that a ported box doesent have

The whoosh you hear is not enough port area. Air being pushed out by the sub has too high a velocity, creating the whoosh. I'd venture to say you've probably only heard premade sub boxes with improper port area.

ross the deer slayer

Which do y'all prefer, vented or ported or what kinda ports? Not sure what difference it makes, just wondering

gunsaler111

Banned
Pay attention to your power ratings!
Look at RMS power,Freq. range of power output,and at what voltage!
Alot of makers today are scamming folks with 1200 watt amps,that put out in the mid to upper freq. range and at 16+ volts.These amps will not put out for subs!
Do not run a 500 watt peak sub on a 500 watt rms amp.
Dont run an 8ohm sub on a amp rated at 4ohm output.Your cutting your output in half.Do not buy the cheap prefab boxes they WILL come apart!

gunsaler111

Banned
for that price range an entry level JL,kicker,or Rockford would be good.Audiobahn also seems to be holding up well.
Dont expect alot of bass from under the seat,it aint gonna happen...
But I was always stuffing subs in every nook and cranny I could 20 years ago,so "alot of bass" my be different to you..

ribber

I don't know hardly anything about subs or what I need with them to install, but for 150 or less, what can I get? I don't wanna break windows but I REALLY like lots of bass...I guess this is the right place to ask this?

Btw I drive a 07 silverado crewcab and I keep stuff under the back seats so I don't want a giant box on top of the seats so a smaller one on the floor would be good

Thanks guys

not sure if you've bought anything yet, but i just ordered a sound ordnance 8" sealed amplified sub from crutchfield. it has good reviews and is easy to install and provides good bass reportedly. $179.98 total includes wiring kit. i've got a crew cab ford and plan on putting it under passenger seat. i'll let you know how works out. prolly gonna put it in saturday

ross the deer slayer

Haven't got anything yet but I plan on it eventually. Whenever I get them i'll spend the money and get decent ones. Why is it that under the seat isn't good bass? Does the seat absorb alot of sound? Since its back seats I can always flip em up