Sun Protection...Do we have to discuss this?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
This^

Skin Cancer is nothing new. Knowledge that the sun is not necessarily your friend is not new. I guess now people are so afraid of looking like a "hipster" they forego common sense. Oh well, I will remain unburnt.

A wide-brimmed hat will cover your face. The Muslim bankrobber face masks are a yuppie fisherman fashion fad, IMO. Fish don't bite much when it's hot in the middle of the day and the sun is directly overhead, anyway.

JohnK

This has become too bizarre to read anymore. It looks like we are at a cross roads as to whether the combined heads of Emory, John Hopkins, and Mayo Clinic dermatology departments know more than a googler on GON can pick up on his tablet while he takes a dump.

Coenen

A wide-brimmed hat will cover your face. The Muslim bankrobber face masks are a yuppie fisherman fashion fad, IMO. Fish don't bite much when it's hot in the middle of the day and the sun is directly overhead, anyway.
I was skeptical of the mask as well, but I've gotten to like them. They look a little goofy, but not having to muck around with sunscreen is a big plus in my book. They'll give you a little extra coverage in cold, crummy weather as well. They even make an okay dust mask for farting around in the yard.

I've got a couple "official" fishing sun shirts, but these that Hanes makes are just as good in my book...
http://tinyurl.com/y8tkzhng

For $9 per shirt on Amazon, it's tough to go wrong.

Those of y'all that want to can take your chances being out there without protection. I'll do "me," you can do "you".

BassMan31

I mainly wear mine because you can poor ice water on it and cool down.

Night fishing's where it's at.

The mtn man

I cover pretty much everything, was diagnosed with early stage melanoma 2 years ago, had it all cut out in two places, I never used sunscreen. I have to have a screening every 3 months. Although my belief is that it's herititary.

blindhog

Yep, we gotta discuss it. Some quick facts:

Sunscreen causes cancer. Don't make me look up the mountains of studies that prove it.

Sunshine does not cause cancer. It gives healthy vitamin D, but will make you more wrinkled when you get old with lots of exposure.

This is another one of those myths that science will eventually debunk. It already has actually.

Just like margarine is healthier than butter, eating fat makes you fat, eating cholesterol increases your cholesterol levels, etc, etc!! Even the wonderful, honest, corrupt money-driven FDA has reversed positions on those... Hasn't happened with sunscreen yet because there's too much $ involved.

I NEVER wear sunscreen, and I sure as heck don't cover up, that sunshine makes me not get sick (vitamin D), clears up rashes, toe funguses, jaundice, and hundreds of other benefits. Problem is I don't usually get enough.

You think they had sunscreen in the olden days? Nobody got skin cancer. Nobody got any cancer for that matter. And don't give me this "it wasn't diagnosed" stuff, do your research. Cancer is a relatively new thing, related to poor diets, high in sugar, low in healthy fats and minerals, toxins in foods, vaccines, etc, genetically modified foods, and toxic chemicals in manufacturing jobs, etc. Just like autism, alzheimers, and a thousand other diseases that have skyrocketed in the modern commercial food era.

And another thing, a good diet gives immunity to the harmful effects of the sun, with the body repairing itself quickly from any damage. A poor (standard american) diet harms the body's system that does this.

Oh boy, I just noticed how long this is! I must be in a cantankerous mood tonight, I better go to bed and see if I feel more calm in the morning :D
I'm tellin ya, it's all the energy this sunshine is giving me!! :banana:

:pop::pop:

I believe it was sunscreen that caused my 2 BCC, one on the left lower cheek and one on the right.
I had been on the flats a lot and was laying it on thick on the sides of my face. Now I have AK on the sides of my face.
I use all natural mineral screen now.