Sunday Cooking at the Hillbilly Hacienda

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Got up early this morning, stoked the Akorn up with some lump and chunks of post oak, rubbed down a 12 1/2 lb packer brisket and threw it on there.

brisket1.jpg

brisket2.jpg

Yes, I know. I need to wash the dust off my smoker. :)

While that was going, I started making up the fixin's for some huevos rancheros for brunch.

All the ingredients for the sauce, minus some seasonings:

huevos1.jpg

Into the pool:

huevos2.jpg

Out of the pool, into the blender, and back out into the pot to simmer awhile:

huevos3.jpg

When the sauce is ready, we need all this stuff:

huevos4.jpg

All cooked up and ready to eat. This was forevermore good.

huevos5.jpg

That deserved some dessert. How about some niller bean Bryers?

ice-cream.jpg

Species profile for today: The Southern Appalachian Couch Weasel.
It spends most of its time sleeping on your sofa cushions, but lurks out periodically to steal your food and ice cream, and play with squeaky toys.

arlo5.jpg

Cool, rainy, and stormy this afternoon. Good time to play rummy on the porch while the brisket cooks. I might go make some homemade yeast rolls if I get motivated enough. I also have a dutch oven cobbler in the works if it quits raining long enough to cook it.

Geffellz18

I really need to Muster up the courage to try this…Just something about SSU eggs with salsa/sauce that puts a block up in my brain even though I tear up a chick fil a chicken breakfast burrito without even a thought!
They look dern good though…

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Got up early this morning, stoked the Akorn up with some lump and chunks of post oak, rubbed down a 12 1/2 lb packer brisket and threw it on there.

View attachment 1161366

View attachment 1161367

While that was going, I started making up the fixin's for some huevos rancheros for brunch.

View attachment 1161368

Into the pool:

View attachment 1161369

View attachment 1161370

View attachment 1161371

View attachment 1161372

View attachment 1161373

It spends most of its time sleeping on your sofa cushions, but lurks out periodically to steal your food and ice cream, and play with squeaky toys.

View attachment 1161374

Cool, rainy, and stormy this afternoon. Good time to play rummy on the porch while the brisket cooks. I might go make some homemade yeast rolls if I get motivated enough. I also have a dutch oven cobbler in the works if it quits raining long enough to cook it.
Gained 5 pounds looking at it

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Brisket is ready, point separated, half cut into burnt ends. Wrapped in a towel in the cooler. Bread dough is on the second rise, coals heating for the dutch oven cobbler.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I really need to Muster up the courage to try this…Just something about SSU eggs with salsa/sauce that puts a block up in my brain even though I tear up a chick fil a chicken breakfast burrito without even a thought!
They look dern good though…
You'd love it, I guarantee.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
looking good brother! Stuffed, bbq’d & smoked a pork loin here with taters.
96F14FF0-27DA-438B-B709-2D21D4F45746.jpeg
28E55951-8572-4D05-956A-79A6D09E148E.jpeg
1C732C13-AD5C-42F3-A2A1-DA0768B76AEB.jpeg

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Bachelor dinner at mountain camp for me. Wife coming in in the morning for a few days...

Boars head lemon pepper chicken, Colby Jack, mustard and egg salad on buns, Publix cole slaw.
Crown n ginger...

20220703_195956.jpg

Big7

The Oracle

View attachment 1161366

View attachment 1161367

View attachment 1161368

Into the pool:

View attachment 1161369

View attachment 1161370

View attachment 1161371

View attachment 1161372

View attachment 1161373

View attachment 1161374

Good food and I LOVE ARLO. ?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I left y'all hanging last night, because I was wore out and in a food coma. :)

While the brisket was cooking, I baked up a loaf of homemade bread:

bread.jpg

Meanwhile in the driveway:

cobbler1.jpg

cobbler2.jpg

Brisket turned out perfect. Not much smoke ring (as I find to be normal on the Akorn with a steamy drip pan,) but the smoky flavor, texture, and tenderness was spot on. I very much hurted myself with sliced flat, burnt ends, foil-pack grilled taters, homemade bread, and YHFP's fried squash. I didn't get a pic of the bowl of cobbler with a scoop of that niller bean ice cream on it, but some things in life are just too enjoyable to stop to take pictures while you're experiencing it. :)

brisket3.jpg

Happy Independence day, y'all!

menhadenman

View attachment 1161366

View attachment 1161367

View attachment 1161368

Into the pool:

View attachment 1161369

View attachment 1161370

View attachment 1161371

View attachment 1161372

View attachment 1161373

View attachment 1161374

You’ve got to start a cooking show - I’d be watching it every night!