Sunday evening grilling

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I use just cornmeal, but once I get it on the okra I put the okra on a tray and put in the fridge for 10-20 mins. Seems to help it stay on, works on chicken.. fish.. anything I dust with cornmeal or flour when not using a dredge or wash.
I do this with most things I bread, especially stuff with an egg wash and breading. It helps a lot. I just like a baking sheet with wax paper so it doesn't stick.

Triple C

Those look fantastic!
Thx ryork! Just my opinion but the bun/bread is the crowning jewel of any sammich. Publix french bread buns are fantastic. Wasn't able to get by Publix for their french bread buns so picked these "Dave's Famous Bread" buns up at Bell's in Lexington on the way back from the farm.

Holy cow! Won't be the last time I buy these buns. They were awesome. Very moist with a bit of chew to them and perfect when toasted in butter or mayo on the flat top.

Big7

The Oracle
Thx ryork! Just my opinion but the bun/bread is the crowning jewel of any sammich. Publix french bread buns are fantastic. Wasn't able to get by Publix for their french bread buns so picked these "Dave's Famous Bread" buns up at Bell's in Lexington on the way back from the farm.

Holy cow! Won't be the last time I buy these buns. They were awesome. Very moist with a bit of chew to them and perfect when toasted in butter or mayo on the flat top.
"Lewis" brand is a good brand and my local store carries it. They are good and pretty good size but still light enough they don't overtake the burger/sandwich/whatever.

The "Spiedie Sause" originally came from upstate New York and is made by Salamida. They make other sauces and marinades but this is the 1st one that got me hooked. You couldn't get it here until recently, except on the net.

Spiedie is the name of a regional dish in the form of a kabob or sandwich. Chunks fot kabobs and thin sliced for sandwiches. Last night was the first time I ever seen, or heard of the "Chicken" sauce and it was good.

Anyway.. Getting a little long in the tooth :bounce: but next time I make a proper "Spiedie" I'll make a thread.
20230904_182014.jpg

ryork

"Lewis" brand is a good brand and my local store carries it. They are good and pretty good size but still light enough they don't overtake the burger/sandwich/whatever.

The "Spiedie Sause" originally came from upstate New York and is made by Salamida. They make other sauces and marinades but this is the 1st one that got me hooked. You couldn't get it here until recently, except on the net.

Spiedie is the name of a regional dish in the form of a kabob or sandwich. Chunks fot kabobs and thin sliced for sandwiches. Last night was the first time I ever seen, or heard of the "Chicken" sauce and it was good.

Anyway.. Getting a little long in the tooth :bounce: but next time I make a proper "Spiedie" I'll make a thread.
View attachment 1252163

My late father in law was from upstate NY. He introduced me to that sauce some 30 yrs ago. He used to order it by the case because so stores around here sold it. We use it all the time, good stuff!

Big7

The Oracle
My late father in law was from upstate NY. He introduced me to that sauce some 30 yrs ago. He used to order it by the case because so stores around here sold it. We use it all the time, good stuff!
Yes Sir.

I suppose I've been using it close to 25.

We would always bring back a big box or two while up there visiting the in- laws and all the X's relatives. And when one of them came to visit us or was passing thru on the way to Florida, we would always ask them to bring us some.
I'm glad they at least sell the "Spiedie" version here now.

The taste is indescribable.
Not close to anything I've ever had, before or since. I love that stuff. Folks up where she's from use it a lot and keep it around like we keep Worcestershire Sauce or something. They are never without it. It even works good on oily fish.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Thanks , that’s how I normally cook it . But I do like breaded and fried okra . Just my breading never seems to stick and yours looked perfect .
Try putting it in the freezer for a bit, works for me. Make sure the oil is hot