Sunday Hunting Ban States (11), Some May Change in 2011

BornToHuntAndFish

Still surprising about some states that continue to ban hunting on Sundays, especially deer hunting, going back to the old Blue Laws of the 1870's. Thank God that Georgia is not one of these "No Sunday Hunting" states. Some may be changing this year but it's still a work in progress, especially Pennsylvania & Virginia. See web links below for more details & updates.:bounce:

We need the freedom to hunt on Sunday in all states & need to get rid of all laws that prevent hunting on Sunday.:cool:

http://sundayhunting.org/index.cfm

Sunday Hunting Regulations

Currently 11 states (Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Virginia and West Virginia) have such restrictions or prohibitions that date back to "blue laws" enacted in the 1700s.

Executives from America's leading conservation, sportsmen's and hunting organizations have announced the formation of a new multi-organization coalition to remove bans and restrictions on Sunday hunting.

Meet the Sunday Hunting Coalition

hed_revised.gif

SundayHuntingMap.jpg

What Are Blue Laws?

Sunday trade restrictions (or Blue Laws) were commonly enacted during the colonial period in America, and well into the 1800's. They were justified on "Old Testament" grounds.1 However, as one author suggested, "While it is easy to think of economic reasons why God might have commanded us to stop working from time to time, it is not clear why He commanded us all to rest at the same time."2

What Is Their Purpose?

During the later part of the 19th century, these restrictions began to be challenged by merchants' associations and by 1970 only 25 states still had Blue Laws. This number had fallen to 13 by 1984.3 As one economist suggests, positive externalities can arise from resting or enjoying free time collectively; however, negative externalities can also result from synchronized economic activity. This is especially true for retail activities which by definition require some to work while others do not.4

How Change Can Impact

Today, 11 states either prohibit or restrict hunting on Sunday. Were these states to eliminate these outdated restrictions, and simply allow hunting on all Sundays within the dates of the current hunting season, it is estimated that over 27,000 new jobs would be created. These are good jobs, paying over $730 million in wages, and contributing about $2.2 billion in additional economic activity to the states in question.

http://outdoorswithothmarvohringer.blogspot.com/2011/01/coalition-formed-against-sunday-hunting.html

Monday, January 31, 2011

Coalition Formed Against Sunday Hunting Ban

The Coalitions single goal is the lobbying to repeal laws prohibiting hunting on Sundays in the eleven remaining states that still have the archaic blue law in place.

Those states include: Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Virginia and West Virginia.
Here in Canada Sunday hunting bans are still in place for certain game species or certain areas of Alberta and New Brunswick.

http://www.ncsl.org/?tabid=13247

State Sunday Hunting Ban Statutes

Updated December 2009

This table contains only the states with restrictions on Sunday hunting.

Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | New Jersey | North Carolina | Pennsylvania | South Carolina | Virginia | West Virginia

http://www.nssf.org/newsroom/releases/show.cfm?PR=011911.cfm&path=2011

January 19, 2011

Conservation, Sportsmen and Hunting Organizations Announce Initiative to Challenge Sunday Hunting Bans and Restrictions

LAS VEGAS — Executives from America's leading conservation, sportsmen's and hunting organizations have announced the formation of a new multi-organization coalition to remove bans and restrictions on Sunday hunting. Currently 11 states (Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Virginia and West Virginia) have such restrictions or prohibitions that date back to "blue laws" enacted in the 1700s.

"By removing bans and restrictions to Sunday hunting, we will be continuing a larger effort that involves improving access and opportunity for all American hunters," said National Shooting Sports Foundation Senior Vice President and General Counsel Lawrence G. Keane. "Let's not forget, the vast majority of hunters take to the field on weekends. By removing barriers to Sunday hunting, states will effectively be doubling the value of each hunter's license."

The benefits of Sunday hunting, however, would not be limited to the sportsmen's community. An economic impact report released by the coalition has found that removal of Sunday hunting restrictions would result in an estimated 27,000 new jobs being created in the affected states. The report also notes that these jobs would pay more than $730 million in wages and contribute approximately $2.2 billion in additional economic activity to those states. Given this potential economic boom, the coalition is moving forward rapidly.

"Through the network of state legislative sportsmen's caucuses, united under the umbrella of the National Assembly of Sportsmen's Caucuses (NASC), repealing Sunday hunting restrictions is going to be a priority in the states where such laws exist," said Jeff Crane, President of the Congressional Sportsmen's Foundation. "One of the biggest obstacles to recruiting new hunters is lack of access and opportunity, and by restricting hunting on Sunday, states are limiting opportunities for current hunters and making it more difficult to recruit new ones."

Fewer hunters mean that game populations, already at historic levels in many of the 11 states, could continue to rise until they reach unsustainable levels. It also means that the state agencies in charge of managing wildlife will be severely limited in their resources since the vast majority of the funds necessary to run the agencies are generated through the excise tax on hunter's sporting equipment.

Hunting and associated industries represent the largest financial supporters of wildlife conservation throughout the United States, having contributed over $3 billion to habitat conservation and wildlife management through the Pittman Robertson excise tax fund since 1991. In addition to excise tax payments, hunting and fishing licenses constitute the second largest source of revenue for state fish and wildlife agencies. Pittman Robertson excise tax contributions and license receipts will inevitably increase with the removal of Sunday hunting bans and restrictions.

"Extremist anti-hunting groups push Sunday hunting bans in a calculated effort to incrementally destroy America's hunting heritage," said NRA-ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox . "These bans have a devastating impact on hunter recruitment and retention, yet there is no biological justification for the prohibition. Most families with youth sports and other family obligations on Saturdays are deprived of their only hunting opportunity. This leads to the failed recruitment of new hunters vitally needed to maintain healthy wildlife populations and preserve America's rich hunting heritage."

The Sunday hunting coalition includes the National Shooting Sports Foundation, National Rifle Association, Congressional Sportsmen's Foundation, Archery Trade Association, Boone and Crockett Club, Cabela's, Delta Waterfowl, Mule Deer Foundation, National Assembly of Sportsmen's Caucuses, Pheasants Forever, Quail Forever, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Safari Club International, U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance and the Wildlife Management Institute.

http://www.nrahuntersrights.org/Dnrmap.aspx

STATE HUNTING LAWS MAP (Click on State for web link to Hunting Laws)

us_map.gif

http://www.mikehanback.com/blog/ind...-Hunting-Coming-Soon-to-Pennsylvania-Virginia

Prediction: Sunday Hunting Coming Soon to Pennsylvania, Virginia

July 12, 2011

Posted By : Mike Hanback

sunday%20hunting.JPG

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/newshound/2011/07/pennsylvania-one-step-closer-hunting-sunday

July 07, 2011

Pennsylvania is One Step Closer to Hunting on Sunday

3985big_no_sunday_hunting.JPG

http://www.tidewaternews.com/2011/07/15/time-to-repeal-sunday-hunting-ban/

July 15, 2011

Time to repeal Sunday hunting ban

"I predict this 1950 law will be repealed. Experts from Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries think it is OK."

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...o-end-sunday-hunting-ban-in-pa-124706683.html

June 29, 2011

Coalition Applauds Introduction of Legislation to End Sunday Hunting Ban in PA

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs...pas-sunday-hunting-restrictions-may-be-lifted

June 13, 2011

PA's Sunday Hunting Restrictions May Be Lifted

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/news/release.asp?id=298

6/10/2011

Virginia Board of Game and Inland Fisheries Endorses Sunday Hunting

http://gantdaily.com/2011/06/13/sunday-hunting-in-virginia-closer-to-happening/

June 13, 2011

Sunday hunting in Virginia closer to happening

The resolution only needs the approval of the General Assembly before Sunday hunting will be allowed in the Commonwealth of Virginia.

“We, the Board of the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries, do hereby urge the General Assembly to repeal the prohibition on Sunday hunting in the Commonwealth of Virginia.”

http://www.nrahuntersrights.org/Article.aspx?id=5048

NJ: Bill Introduced to Expand Sunday Hunting

5/26/2011

Assembly Bill 4071, introduced by Assemblyman John J Burzichelli (D- Paulsboro), would allow hunting with firearms for deer on Sundays on private property.

New Jersey is one of only 11 states that restricts or prohibits hunting on Sundays. Other states include: Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia.

In 2009, New Jersey passed similar legislation allowing bowhunting for deer on Sundays.

The effort to roll back antiquated “blue laws” in the 11 states that prohibit Sunday hunting is being led by the Sunday Hunting Coalition.

http://www.malegislature.gov/Bills/187/House/H02399

Massachusetts Laws

Bill H.2399

An Act to allow hunting on Sunday within the Commonwealth

By Ms. Gobi of Spencer, a petition (accompanied by bill, House, No. 2399) of Hunt and others relative to hunting on Sundays Joint Committee on Public Safety and Homeland Security.

Actions for Bill H.2399
Date Branch Action
1/20/2011 House Bill Filed.
1/24/2011 House Referred to Joint Committee on Public Safety and Homeland Security.
1/24/2011 Senate Senate concurred.
5/9/2011 Joint Hearing scheduled for 05/12/2011 from 01:00 PM-05:00 PM in A-2

:eek::hair:

Last edited:

copecowboy84

From my understanding, NC (home state) was changed to archery only on Sundays last year

CAL

When I was a boy it was against the law in Georgia to discharge a firearm on Sunday.I understand it was to curb the hunting because of deer hunters running dogs around country churches interfering with church services.It is not enforced today,few country churches and no dog hunters.

Mako22

BANNED
I don't hunt on Sunday and never will, I'd rather go and worship the creator of the universe with my fellow Christians.

golffreak

I don't hunt on Sunday and never will, I'd rather go and worship the creator of the universe with my fellow Christians.

I understand you point, and I go to Church regularly. But...God's Church is everywhere we go and so are Christians.

Last edited:

_BuckMaster_

Shot My Second Largest Buck One Sunday Morning And Still Made The 11am Service!

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I am glad to see these useless laws being repealed. More young people will be able to get into the outdoors now. :clap::clap::clap:

born2hunt99

I am glad to see these useless laws being repealed. More young people will be able to get into the outdoors now. :clap::clap::clap:

I'll take the those young people hunting on Saturday and then to Church on Sunday. I personally would like to see more young people at Church. It would be better to learn more about the Scriptures and know Christ, than a deer.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I'll take the those young people hunting on Saturday and then to Church on Sunday. I personally would like to see more young people at Church. It would be better to learn more about the Scriptures and know Christ, than a deer.

I dont want to derail the OP's thread but........... HUH ????

Some of these states have a whopping 1 week season. Some others only 2-3 weeks.

Are you saying that a young person getting to go hunting or fishing in some states on Sunday now is somehow going to be a bad thing ??????

On this we disagree. Sorry for the derail OP

born2hunt99

Are you saying that a young person getting to go hunting or fishing in some states on Sunday now is somehow going to be a bad thing ??????

I never said it was a bad thing but rather implied of misplaced priorities...I personally have never been hunting or fishing on Sunday and it hasn't hurt me nor will it hurt any other youngster, including my children, as they grow into an adult. Should there be a law against it? Why should there be a law at all? I mean, if we have our priorities right in the first place, we wont need the ban on Sunday hunting.

DogHunter4Life

they took god out of schools
cant say prayer at a football game
took god out of the capitol
and they now they want to keep a day open so you can go to church??

i am a proud christian and go to church as much as i can but that dont make sense

HucK Finn

That is a fine personal choice, but it should be just that a choice, it should not be a law.

People should not be enticed by laws to attend church. IMO

born2hunt99

BornToHuntAndFish

Having a blast with all the comments. Glad good forum folks decided to chime in on this.:cool:

I do not see any of these discussions or comments derailing this thread. Say what you think is important to you or is your priority, then feel free to agree to disagree agreeably & peacefully if you need to. :D

I'm for freedom & liberty throughout America & the world like our founding fathers of this great country & the Constitution intended, while seeing no need for any government to try to force or tell folks what they can & cannot do on Sunday, or any other day of the week. :flag:

Obviously, we need to be respectful to do our best not to interrupt church worship services while hunting or on hunting trips.

As well said earlier with good points, there's lots of time for hunting before, after, and between church services on Sunday & we can take church with us wherever we go.:clap:

It's my priority to go to a Christian church to celebrate my personal relationship with our Creator with other believers each Sunday. If I lived closer to hunting lands, then I'd probably make exceptions occasionally, like during the rut, or during short seasons in some states as was already said, etc.

Some may only be reached & meet and/or build closer relationships with our Creator of the outdoors & universe during a hunting trip, where the good Lord may reveal himself to others in new & fresh & mighty ways. Nothing wrong with taking church & scriptures & worship services where ever we go, including hunting trips, & especially with young folks experiencing good role models demonstrating closer walks with God as a lifestyle. We've heard & seen pastors & church leaders doing these activities, too, even on WMA hunts.

A while back, I knew someone that decided to go duck hunting instead of going to church one morning. While wading thru a swamp, he got stuck in a hole or rotten underwater stump & began panicking. Finally, he wiggled & crawled out of his waders & told God he'd not miss church services again on Sunday.:rofl:

I've known & heard of land owners not allowing hunting on Sundays. Nothing wrong with that, it's his land, but that's not for me. Everyone should be free to make this choice for themselves.

Now let's hear more experiences & stories when grown or growing up, positive or negative or humorous, about hunting on Sunday, along with any new updates or corrections or changes in state laws about this topic.:fine:

:cool:

Last edited:

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I grew up in a strict southern Baptist home with Godly parents who didnt allow us to hunt on Sunday.
It was OK to go down to the pond and fish, but not shoot a gun on Sunday. We had a farm so not working on Sunday was never even open for discussion, cattle and chickens didnt know about holidays and Sundays, etc;)

I continued in church when I got grown, but decided it was OK for me to be away from church to go hunting when I wanted to. I raised my boys to do that as well. My son goes to church with his two boys every Sunday he can. But he takes them to our hunting camp regularly on weekends that include Sunday hunting.

You can worship and hunt/fish on Sunday and enjoy both activities. These "Blue laws" are hold overs from the days of old and are far outlived IMO. I am glad to see these states repealing these colonial days laws.

Resica

We have a lot of private land in Pa. that is open to hunters. A lot of that land is owned by farmers. From what I've heard in the past when this Sunday hunting was brought up, many threatened to close their land to hunting. Kinda wonder if they add Sundays , will they shorten the season, probably. Seems like an easy yes to Sunday hunting, not so in my opinion. We have a 2 week rifle season in Pennsylvania. It's based on the emormous amount of deer hunters we have. If Georgia had anywhere near the hunters we have, your season wouldn't be nearly as long, same goes for your turkey season.

Latest posts