Sunday Hunting Ban States (11), Some May Change in 2011

Will-dawg

I never said it was a bad thing but rather implied of misplaced priorities...I personally have never been hunting or fishing on Sunday and it hasn't hurt me nor will it hurt any other youngster, including my children, as they grow into an adult. Should there be a law against it? Why should there be a law at all? I mean, if we have our priorities right in the first place, we wont need the ban on Sunday hunting.

I don't think that ANYONE who hunts on sunday has their priorities misplaced. It doesn't matter if your 30 feet up in a tree or in the middle of the lake trolling for crappie in a 14 foot jon boat on a Sunday. You can still praise the good lord above-----NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE!!!!!!

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
I will never forget the SUNDAY I was standing at a pay lake talking with the owner. of course the woodys discussions came up and of course hunting came up and GON came up.

well while we were talking we somehow got around to sunday hunting and how I hunt every day all day and any day of the week. he mentioned to me how he doesnt believe anyone should ever hunt on sunday.

course he failed to see me humor of him working on sunday and him allowing folks to fish his pay pond on sunday

glad some of these laws are getting repealed. no issue with folks not hunting sunday (or tuesday) for whatever their reasoning is, just dont force it on others

K80

As long as it is not a Ga or Fed reg/law I don't have a dog in the fight.

Will-dawg

South Carolina is on that list but you CAN hunt on private land on Sundays

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Note that all except one of these states still holding these ancient laws on the books were once part of the original 13 British colonies.

Old ways die hard ;)

born2hunt99

I don't think that ANYONE who hunts on sunday has their priorities misplaced. It doesn't matter if your 30 feet up in a tree or in the middle of the lake trolling for crappie in a 14 foot jon boat on a Sunday. You can still praise the good lord above-----NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE!!!!!!

You are right, we can praise Him anywhere! There is no dispute about that. Should we disobey a commandment just to fulfill a personal desire to climb a tree and hunt a deer? As far as the law goes, I don't see a need for it 'cause I am not going to let it interfere with church anyways.

Heb 10:24, 25 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

BTW, good discussion.

chrisw1073

You are right, we can praise Him anywhere! There is no dispute about that. Should we disobey a commandment just to fulfill a personal desire to climb a tree and hunt a deer? As far as the law goes, I don't see a need for it 'cause I am not going to let it interfere with church anyways.

Heb 10:24, 25 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

BTW, good discussion.

Your reasoning that you don't hunt on Sunday is because it interfears with church is like saying I can't go to the gym Mon - Fri because I have to work. There is time to do both if someone so chooses. Now if your argument was that God rested on the 7th day, and therefore you feel like you should do the same, that is different. But that is not the stance you have taken.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I am reminded about a fellow I hunted with for several years back in the 70's-80's. He didnt believe in hunting on Sunday.
However he would stay in camp with us who did hunt on Sunday. He would even go and sit in the stand to see what passed by, but not carry a bow or gun on Sunday.

Come Monday AM he was back carrying the firearm.

FlipKing

I actually hunt NC and did not know about the bow exception for Sundays. Good info :)

specialk

i grew up living right on the VA/NC border.....no sunday hunting(but you can buy a cooler of beer and head to the lake to fish all day:confused:).........when i moved to GA and found out that you could hunt on Sunday i was floored! couldn't believe it....also couldn't believe you can't buy a beer here either.......the county i grew up in was shotgun only until last year they allowed centerfire rifles but you must be 10ft. off the ground before you can shoot.....also they only require 100 square inches of blaze orange(hat will make you legal).........

Hunter922

If people choose to go to church then go. A law not allowing Sunday hunting is not going to increase church attendance. Sunday is a great day for hunting. It should stay that way..

Dehunt

sunday

Well dont think we need any more laws telling us what to do on certain issues....But the GOD i serve is big enough to stop a man from hunting on sunday and have him singing in the choir..........I am speaking for myself....I also worship 5 other days of the week from where ever i am at...But 2 days a week from Gods house...just my .02

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Some may need to read the OP again...... I dont think anyone is trying to enact any new laws, just repeal some old laws from way back in some other east coast states, not Georgia

BornToHuntAndFish

Some may need to read the OP again...... I dont think anyone is trying to enact any new laws, just repeal some old laws from way back in some other east coast states, not Georgia

Thanks, Milkman.

I'm for hunting on Sundays & for hunting every day of the week!!!

Yep, we need to repeal all blue laws, especially repeal all laws in all states that ban hunting on Sundays.

I want everyone to have the freedom to hunt on Sundays.

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
Re:

There doesn't need to be a law anywhere to ban. I think God would prefer the law not to be there. That way you can choose accordingly based upon your priority. I feel safe to say that if you don't want to be in church with fellow believers, then God probably doesn't want you there anyway.

And if God is a priority with you, you will find a way to be there, even if you go hunting too. God Bless!

Kendallbearden

Big spider lover
When it comes to hunting, I go by the books. I have never commited any fish and game violations. I follow the laws exactly, and do what i'm supposed to do. I will say this openly though, IF that law was to ever be put into effect here in Georgia, it would be one fish and game law i would not comply with. Most of the time Saturday evening and Sunday mornings are the only time I have to hunt. That law is ridiculous and should be lifted nationwide.

BornToHuntAndFish

We have a lot of private land in Pa. that is open to hunters. A lot of that land is owned by farmers. From what I've heard in the past when this Sunday hunting was brought up, many threatened to close their land to hunting. Kinda wonder if they add Sundays , will they shorten the season, probably. Seems like an easy yes to Sunday hunting, not so in my opinion. We have a 2 week rifle season in Pennsylvania. It's based on the emormous amount of deer hunters we have. If Georgia had anywhere near the hunters we have, your season wouldn't be nearly as long, same goes for your turkey season.

Good to hear from & get the perspective outlook of a local resident of Pennsylvania. Thanks. Good luck.

Is that for the whole state or is that for the Eastern side of Pennsylvania where so many of the higher populated areas are on the New England end of the state???

_BuckMaster_

I Hunt On Sundays . But I Keep In Mind What Time I Must Leave To Shower And Get There On Time...We All Have Choices And That The One I Made...And Talk To My Lord And Savior Jesus Christ Every Time I'm Hunting ...God Is Everywhere Not Just In A Church With Pews!

jmfauver

Maryland allows Sunday Hunting but on Private property only , has been that way for 6 or 7 yrs now...