sunday hunting

jigman29

I have argued with the wife's uncle who is a preacher on this same subject.I asked him if he would rather me hunt on sunday or sit in the recliner drinking beer and watching hunting shows.:rofl::whip::whip:

Please enlighten us on this. I am 61 and Sunday hunting has been legal all my life in Georgia.

I have hunted all over GA for the past 70+ years. The ban on sunday hunting has never been enforced on a state wide basis, but rather has been enforced on a county by county basis.

Certain counties have been notorious for enforcing Sunday Hunting Bans. Other counties paid no heed to the matter. It usually depended on how the county sheriffs felt about the subject.

Sunday hunting was against the law in Georgia at least up until the mid-70's. The law was unique as far as criminal laws go, because it had a specific provision that enforcement was left up to the discretion of the local sheriff. By the mid-70's there weren't many sheriffs enforcing it.

One who was was the sheriff of Greene County, L.L. Wyatt He was one of the 30 year sheriffs. He had notices printed up and posted all over the county.

You could be hunting in the national forest as far back in the woods as you could get, you'd think that a white man had never set foot there, and there would be one of those notices nailed to a tree. Basically said "Sheriff Wyatt don't allow no Sunday hunting". And he meant it.

Given that Sheriff Wyatt had killed 9 men in gun battles, including a bank robber who tried to run him down when the sheriff was 70, his wishes in the matter received a lot of deference.

His enforcement was sort of attenuated, as there were several well known establishments where rumor had it one could buy package beer on Sunday :p One of these establishments was well known for its pit cooked deer BBQ every Sat. He would have 4 or 5 deer cooking on concrete block pits every Sat. -- figure out how he did that.

blocky

I used to hunt on Sunday but now I go to church at 9:30 and don't get home until 1pm. Then back to church at 5:30 so that doesn't leave much time to hunt. I get more satisfaction from being with my christian brothers than I would hunting these days.

CAL

In the 50's and 60's it was not against the law to hunt on Sunday but was against the law to discharge a firearm on Sunday.According to locals it was because of all the country churches trying to have Sunday service with people shooting close by.I don't know what the law is now.I know that everybody that wants to hunts on Sunday around me anyway.

Sunday

no Sunday hunting Remember The Sabbath Day and keep it Holy
Sunday is not the sabbath day Sat. is. Sunday is the first day of the week. That is why the Jews go to temple on Sat.:banginghe

JWT

My dad told me when I was six or seven I would go to jail for shooting on Sunday! I don't know why because of age ten we hunted every sat & sun! This was late seventies early eighties! I'm gonna ask him tonight!

joedublin

Rutnbuk has it right...EVERY DAY is God's day...it's strictly between you and God.....whenever I have the chance to be in the woods hunting I feel very close to God no matter WHAT day it is!!!

I thought we were talking about hunting on Sunday

Rutnbuk has it right...EVERY DAY is God's day...it's strictly between you and God.....whenever I have the chance to be in the woods hunting I feel very close to God no matter WHAT day it is!!!
I know that every day is God's day but I thought that we were talking about hunting on Sunday, Sunday is not the sabath day SAT is. At least thats what i learned in church. Now you are right when you say its between you and God.

Whiteeagle

Seems to ME that "sittin in the woods or on the creek bank thinking about God is far better than sittin on a PEW thinking about HUNTIN or FISHIN". Just MY $.02!

burkehunter

I don't have a problem with hunting on Sundays but I do think it should be law within so far of a place of worship for respect. I grew up with my dad not hunting on sundays so I can understand it but I have some nice talks with the lord in the stand and I really love spending time admiring his creation.

emusmacker

And all this time...I thought the Sabbath was Saturday:huh:

I'm all about being in church on Sunday. But how can one say certain things are okay to do on Sunday and others aren't? Reminds me of the Pharisees in Jesus' day.

I don't hunt Sundays, I feel that all the Lord asks for is a couple hours of my time and He gives me 24 hrs 7 days a week of His time. The trade off is worth it.

i feel the problem is that to alot of people it's all about "me" and "what I want". With no regards to what God wants. I've heard folks say they can worship in the deer stand, but I don't believe em. The Bible says faith come by HEARING and HEARING by the WORD of GOD. Hard to hear preaching in the deer stand.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
The congress and president have no input into your hunting times, that is controlled by the individual states. The states that do not allow Sunday hunting can only be addressed by the resident voters of those states.

stop that. :whip:

T:D::ke:

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Seems to ME that "sittin in the woods or on the creek bank thinking about God is far better than sittin on a PEW thinking about HUNTIN or FISHIN". Just MY $.02!

do you worship God or hunting/fishing?

T