Suppresors

johnpoulan83

Missed The Vote
Does anybody know the process to get a suppressor, also the best kind to get? I have seen them but know absolutely nothing regarding the process to get, thanks for any info

leroy

Dont have one but paperwork and fingerprint, background check, 200 tax stamp then wait about a year to get it back. And you have to pay for it up front

Gator89

Does anybody know the process to get a suppressor, also the best kind to get? I have seen them but know absolutely nothing regarding the process to get, thanks for any info

Find a dealer that sells them, they will guide you through the process.

1) Locate and purchase suppressor
2) Fill out form with finger prints included.
3) Mail form with $200 check to BATFE
4) Wait patiently
5) Wait some more
6) Get approval from BATFE and take your muffler home

Last edited:

killerv

Find a dealer with a kiosk in house. They'll handle everything. Then daily go to a couple sites to check on every ones wait times like its gonna make a difference. Then forget you ever bought it. Then 13 months later you get a call that makes you happy, its like xmas for adults.

menhadenman

I picked my first one at a gun shop with a silencer shop kiosk. Pretty easy and you can find a store here.

So far as the best one you can find some reviews at Pew Science. Lots of guys are fond the the Thunderbeast for hunting. Hyperion also gets pretty favorable reviews. Good luck.

ChidJ

What everyone here said is right. Find a good dealer and they will guide you through the whole process.

As far as which to get, its pretty hard to go wrong. Its not a complex device. If you want to get into the weeds, what features matter most to you? Hard use? Lightweight? Short? Flow through? QD options? Quiet?

But don't overthink it. Just get one yesterday

menhadenman

I’ve had some bad ones… I would focus on getting something with flexibility (you can use on several rifles and/or pistols) from a reputable manufacturer. Some places like Appalachian Gun has many on display. Good luck.

Duff

couple more questions.
What’s the process of mounting? Gunsmith?

Do most put them on their favorite deer rifle, or buy a new one?

Also, I’m assuming you go through the entire process for each suppressor you purchase?

Thanks

ChidJ

yes, same process for every suppressor. If its direct thread, you just screw it on. If its got QD accommodations, you just put the compatible muzzle device on the rifles you'd like to put them on. Some ratchet, some are twist lock deals. Some come with their own special wrench. Easy easy. If you don't have a vice and some soft vice jaws for your barrel or action, if you are mounting muzzle devices you might want to use a gunsmith. But if you use Rocksett or something similar, the muzzle device doesn't have to be wrenched on with that much torque to stay put

killerv

couple more questions.
What’s the process of mounting? Gunsmith?

Do most put them on their favorite deer rifle, or buy a new one?

Also, I’m assuming you go through the entire process for each suppressor you purchase?

Thanks
I have all silencerco stuff which a lot of theirs have asr mount options. Just leave the muzzle device on and you can quickly move suppressor between guns instead of worrying about thread sizes between all your guns. My omega 300 came with a direct thread option and an asr brake. I did let the gun shop install the brake since it had to be timed correctly.

If your favorite deer rifle has enough meat at the end of the barrel to be threaded, just have a gun smith do it. I ended up just buying another rifle already threaded, you know, you always need an excuse to pick up another rifle. I'll tell you, once you get into it, you wont even entertain a rifle thats not already threaded.

Kwaksmoka

thanks for the info, I just picked up a new rifle that has a threaded barrel for this purpose. I've looked at a couple Omega 300 being one of them and the Dead Air Sandman. I really would like to find the most noise and recoil reducing option so i'm going to check out the link above. This particular set up is a Ruger 308 compact with an 18" barrel. This is going to be for my 12 yo daughter and young son. (Edit) After looking at the above link (i'm not technical enough to decipher) it appears there isn't many options over a 50 rating. Any other suggestions are always appreciated!

Last edited:

Lilly001

Think of the suppressor as a package.
The gun, and its caliber, is an important part of the choice.
What is your goal?
Deer hunting?
Hogs?
Just reduced noise and/or recoil?
They can do it all. But each is also a trade off.
Staying subsonic requires a significant reduction in the velocity of most hunting cartridges.
And reductions in velocity result in rainbow trajectories and subsequent reductions in practical range.
Much like a black powder firearm, power on target usually requires heavier bullets.

natureman

My experience was they were not good for precision shooting. Tried a couple of them and target - impact area was all over the place.

SC Hunter

I've had an AAC cyclone for several years, it's stupid heavy compared to an omega 300 that my brother has. My kids shoot my 6.5 with the suppressor without issue. It still has a down range pop but the noise is drastically reduced and there is less recoil for sure. I tell everybody that will hear it to get a bog deathgrip and put the rifle in that for kids. It's a game changer for young kids just getting started.

SC Hunter

My experience was they were not good for precision shooting. Tried a couple of them and target - impact area was all over the place.
My rifle is as accurate or a little more accurate with my suppressor on it.

FlipKing

A. Get one. B. If it's for hunting, just get a direct thread. C. Look at pew science. A Dead Air sandman is solid. Otter Creek Labs is not real expensive and have great reviews. A banish 30 is solid but over priced.

Waits are at about 6-9 months currently.

chase870

Possum Sox
Find a dealer that sells them, they will guide you through the process.

1) Locate and purchase suppressor
2) Fill out form with finger prints included.
3) Mail form with $200 check to BATFE
4) Wait patiently
5) Wait some more
6) Get approval from BATFE and take your muffler home
7) Name put on list of domestic American Terrorist
8) Wait for ATF to come burn your Church down and kill your women and children