Sweetwater Creek State Park

Dialer

So I go to take my kayak to the reservoir on a fairly nice weekday, and realize all I have is a $10 bill for the now $5 admission (ridiculous). I see 2 female park rangers emptying out a cash box used to purchase daily passes. I thought this would be a good time to get change, or better yet, just pay them. I bid them both a very polite gesture and asked to pay my admittance or change. The big/older white haired lady cut me off short and stated rather rudely “You don’t plan on launching that kayak here do ya?” “No Ma’am, I plan on launching it across the reservoir by the shooting range like I always do”. “No your not either!” She snips. “And no, we don’t have change, you have to pay at the cash box”. I should have left right then and there, because I now remembered her from a previous incident that reminded me of her rudeness. I made the decision to go ahead and pay, then proceeded to my regular parking place over by the range, with my kayak still in the back of my truck. No more did I get out of the truck and grabbed my rods, here She come again...”If you launch that kayak here, I’m gonna give you a ticket that you won’t forget!” That was it, my Right bearing America loving defense mechanism kicked in...”I told you I wasn’t gonna launch my Kayak here, or anywhere else on this reservoir, now back off Lady! You have no right to speak to me like you do, now LEAVE ME ALONE!” She pulled off mumbling about something to her partner, and at that moment, vowed to never come back..Fishing sux there anyway!

7Mag Hunter

I know who u are talking about !!!

We were at the park recently on a Church outing and she came walking thru our area 2X looking/inspecting like she was looking for violations ???
we asked her if she wanted coffee or tea/cokes and she never answered, just looked grumpy and walked away.....

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Man that's pretty bad. Definitely send it up the chain. Can't hurt. I don't want to sound like I'm defending this woman's behavior because it was uncalled for but as someone who used to be in that line of work I think I know what got her to that point. When I was a park ranger I couldn't believe a lot of what came with the job. You deal with some of the dumbest, most entitled people in the world. It was an everyday occurrence that somebody would stand within twenty feet of a rest room and ask me where the rest rooms were. On a daily basis I dealt with people who couldn't follow very ,very simple directions when they asked where something was. I'm talking about stuff like, "When you leave the parking lot you are gonna take a left and then immediately another left.". They couldn't do it. People would make messes and look at them and walk away from them while looking at me. And lots of the visitors loved to tell me that they paid my salary.

We had a school group visit one morning that acted like they had just been let out of a cage. I allowed some time for them to get it out of their system but it didn't get any better. I let them know that their behavior was all wrong. A week or so later my supervisor had a sit down with me and handed me a letter that he had received from those student's teacher that had been with them that day complaining about how mean I was to her little darlings. I say that only to explain that if you make this woman's supervisor aware of the way she treated you, she will hear about it.

Again, I'm not excusing the way she treated you. That was wrong. I'm just explaining that you are probably catching the brunt of it for people who have been there before.

Anvil Head

If one is so unhappy with their job that they have to behave that way even as a public servant, then they need to seek a different vocation. It is as simple as that.
Not excusing the action of the people in the examples that you presented So Ga, There are "privileged" people in all walks of life. That is the job she signed up for. Doesn't matter what kind of work one does, who they work for or supervise, being civil on the job is important.
It's not how one is treated, but how one chooses to respond to that treatment that defines an individual. As ol' Bobby Dylan put it to music "You gotta serve someone".

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
If one is so unhappy with their job that they have to behave that way even as a public servant, then they need to seek a different vocation. It is as simple as that.
Not excusing the action of the people in the examples that you presented So Ga, There are "privileged" people in all walks of life. That is the job she signed up for. Doesn't matter what kind of work one does, who they work for or supervise, being civil on the job is important.
It's not how one is treated, but how one chooses to respond to that treatment that defines an individual. As ol' Bobby Dylan put it to music "You gotta serve someone".

Yep. I did just that. Got in another line of work. I make more money, I'm a lot happier, and don't have to deal with a fraction of the pig headedness I did as a park ranger. And in my line of work, when somebody acts stupid, they will be told with a sentence that begins with something like, "Hey stupid...". Lol.

The only part of your post that I disagree with is you seem to think it's all on the "public servant" and people have every right to act like farm animals. That's wrong.

Anvil Head

See, that's a problem, you projected your feelings by saying "you seem to think" - I did not say or imply your last observation anywhere in my response(s). You cannot possibly know what I think. It is a wise person that gets out of a job situation that they don't enjoy whenever possible. I can personally empathize with you and the reason you left that job. I think you did the right thing.

There are jerks and malcontents every where one goes and it appears to be getting worse in society today. There is no escaping this, it's how one responds to these situations that matters. I worked in government 30+ years, being supervised, but mostly supervising others. There are better ways to handle these "personalities" that are effective and long term.
All that being said, we have only one perspective in a short post. Not questioning the integrity of the original poster by any means, but there is always more to the event. Based on what he posted alone - the public servant was wrong.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
See, that's a problem, you projected your feelings by saying "you seem to think" - I did not say or imply your last observation anywhere in my response(s). You cannot possibly know what I think. It is a wise person that gets out of a job situation that they don't enjoy whenever possible. I can personally empathize with you and the reason you left that job. I think you did the right thing.

There are jerks and malcontents every where one goes and it appears to be getting worse in society today. There is no escaping this, it's how one responds to these situations that matters. I worked in government 30+ years, being supervised, but mostly supervising others. There are better ways to handle these "personalities" that are effective and long term.
All that being said, we have only one perspective in a short post. Not questioning the integrity of the original poster by any means, but there is always more to the event. Based on what he posted alone - the public servant was wrong.

That's the problem? Lol. Buddy there ain't a problem unless you have one. Nothing much else to say on the subject.