Switching back to Alluminum arrows...maybe

Glenn

After switching from Alluminum about 2 years ago to PSE CF Extreme 300's and breaking just as many as I would have bent alluminum I think I will switch back.

I was shooting some of my old Easton superlites 2114 (yes way to light for my bow but they work) and they seem to group better than the CF's.

For hunting I am not shooting 50 yards and the speed of my bow is fast anyways.

Is there a reason my Alluminums would group tighter than the carbons?

And when I mean group tighter I am talking about a more consitant arrow flight and they do not stray from where I am aiming. The carbons seem to not be as "User Friendly" and if I goof at release they tend to go way off target.

Fletching clearence is good and nothing is hitting.

dbone

Outdoor Cafe Moderator
Try something new !!

I used to shoot the 2114's too , now I shoot the " Game Tracker , Terminator 6075's wrapped carbon composite "
They are the same weight , inner diameter , outter diameter yet with adjustable knocks , I used to bend and crush many 2114's , no more with the 6075's , They're a little more expensive than aluminium , but like my pro said you won't have to replace them as often and after 3 years I've yet to replace 1 ,

Glenn

dbone, according to all the arrow charts the 2114's are way to light for my bow poundage. I am shooting between 60-63 lbs at 30.5" shaft. According to the Easton chart those arrows are made for a bow shooting like 45 lbs.

The PSE CF's are good arrows but the end near the nock is weak and tends to split or crack. But the carbons are all light and not very forgiving to a person who tends to have hand shock or torque at times when he is under pressure.

I just went down to the archery shop near work and he has the 2315's XX75's and the Superslams in stock and ready to go. yeah they almost cost as much as the carbons but at least they might fly straight and true for my setup.

::huh:

Jody Hawk

Something ain't right with your setup for the carbons. I switch to carbons about five years ago and wouldn't think of going back to aluminums. I like the carbon arrows that have an aluminum core, like the Beman Matrix that I am currently shooting.

Glenn

Well came home today after doing alot of research on the subject today and the alluminum shoot much better than my carbons. I have no clue why but they do.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
arrows

personally I think bowhunting equipment has gotten too technical. It was a huge jump for me to go to compounds and aluminum arrows. I quit trying to upgrade after a few compounds, Jennings model T, model W, Jennings Woody and two Martin Warthogs, still shooting that last Warthog at 62 pounds. If it wasn't for age and a bad shoulder would go back to the recurve and aluminum arrows. Keeping it simple works for me.

reylamb

Glenn, while there is absolutely no logical reason that I can think of why a tremendously underspined arrow shoots well for you, I can fix your carbon arrow problems. Put some unibushing on the back of the carbons and they will not split on you. Personally, I have never liked that line of PSE arrows, but their newer radial weave is great. All of the old CF arrows I had did the same thing, until I put in the unibushing. I no longer shoot the PSEs, and honestly have difficulty recommending them to ayone, but the unibushings will cure teh cracking and splitting on the back end.

Glenn

Rey that is what everyone has recommended me to do also. But the alluminums shot good for me before I switched and they still shoot good for me now.

The deal is sealed and I am picking some up today at noon and then back to the house to sight in for hunting tommorow.

This has been the worst year I have ever had and I have went in a complete circle in the archery world.

Next year I might check back into the carbons but that is a big "MIGHT"

dbone

Outdoor Cafe Moderator
Hmmm?

I'm shooting a 74# draw with 27 inch cut off arrows in an overdraw , I don't what the difference would be but I do believe the carbon wraps have a stiffer spine , but hey shoot what works for ya :cool:

mpowell

that's my theory, dbone, shoot what makes you happy.

i like the aluminums i shoot and i'm sticking with them. i've shot carbons in the past and went back to aluminum. i also shoot with fingers and don't use a release. hey, at least i do use a compound bow!

my bow, a reflex caribou, is specifically designed for finger shooters by chuck adams. it's a sweet shooting bow! it's way long (about 45 inches) and has wheels--no cams. but, it's relatively fast. today's shorter, solo cam bows are VERY unforgiving of finger shooters. i found that out after dropping close to a grand on a PSE with all the trimmings about 5 years ago and my fingertips were numb for a week because the pinch was so bad when at full draw!

gabowman

About the only thing I DONT like about carbons is the deer blood dont absolutely cover the arrow slap up like it does on an aluniminum. Atleast it hasnt on the ones I got the past year and this year. Anyone else noticed this?

GB

Glenn

One thing about Alluminum arrows is that when you refletch them it is alot easier cleaning them up. I refletched them last night because they had some crappy colored fletchings and it was like a breath of fresh air compared to the carbons.

So far I have loved the switch back to the "LOGS" now if I can just find time to get into the woods and stick something with them :banginghe

cowboyron

Glen, I'm like you I could never get the carbons to group. I like my aluminums and will stay with them. Like the old saying goes if its not broke don't fix it. ::huh: