TC Contender 10" 30/30 accuracy issues

hunter44a

I have a 10" 30-30 that seems to have a lot of inconsistency. Ive tried different loads, sights, shooters, etc all with the same result. Used to have a G2 with a 30-30 AI barrel that would do 3/4 of an inch @100yds. Wish I still had it. Anyone have any suggestions?

Lilly001

Is the hinge lock up tight?
Any damage to the muzzle of the barrel?
Scope and mounts tight?
A lot of things can go sideways.
Most of my Contenders and barrels shoot better than I can.

Lonegle57

Are you loading or using factory? Some TC's are known for long throats
and only after seating bullets longer does accuracy show up. Have a 35 I
seat long or have a lot of miss fires. Send your problem to Mike Bellem,
he is the guru of Contenders, he will give you some insight.

hunter44a

7Ive tried different scopes and sights. Now the part about a long throat could be an answer. Hinge lockup good.

hunter44a

Are you loading or using factory? Some TC's are known for long throats
and only after seating bullets longer does accuracy show up. Have a 35 I
seat long or have a lot of miss fires. Send your problem to Mike Bellem,
he is the guru of Contenders, he will give you some insight.
Im gonna check that throat. Also, gonna try other powders. Been using RE7 and H4895

I would pull a factory bullet, dump the powder and stick that same bullet in there seated long to to find jam and then compare that length to the factory round.
That barrel isn’t long enough to stabilize a bullet that isn’t “harmonically perfect” as it goes down the barrel. You might be surprised how far those factory rounds are jumping to the lands…

PS: Coat the bullet in die wax….

Lonegle57

Normally seat a bullet extra long and slowly seat deeper until the gun closes
and use that length for that barrel.Yes in a resized, empty case. Am currently using IMR 4895 under a 150 grain bullet in my 30-30's, do need to play with loads some though.

hunter44a

Thanks everyone for your replies. Some really good info. I normally seat my bullets long on most of my reloads but i didnt know that the contenders can have long throats

hunter44a

and use that length for that barrel.Yes in a resized, empty case. Am currently using IMR 4895 under a 150 grain bullet in my 30-30's, do need to play with loads some though.
What bullet are you using?

rosewood

and use that length for that barrel..
Not necessary on a Contender.

Easy to measure max OAL with contender. Drop bullet into chamber, take a caliper and use the depth gauge to measure from barrel/breech face to the back of the bullet. Add that to the length of the bullet and that is your max OAL.

Rosewood

rosewood

Thanks everyone for your replies. Some really good info. I normally seat my bullets long on most of my reloads but i didnt know that the contenders can have long throats
Some old school folks call the long throat contender barrels "Linda". I ain't gonna explain that to those that don't get it. Had to look it up myself.

Rosewood

johnpoulan83

Missed The Vote
I have a 10" 30-30 that seems to have a lot of inconsistency. Ive tried different loads, sights, shooters, etc all with the same result. Used to have a G2 with a 30-30 AI barrel that would do 3/4 of an inch @100yds. Wish I still had it. Anyone have any suggestions?
I had one do the same thing, I ran boxes of different ammo and couldn’t figure it out, took it to the gunsmith and found there was a slight balloon in the barrell causing the gas to get around and said it was like shooting a Muskit, said it prob happened from little dirt getting in there and shooting it, he cut of the last 1/2 inch of the barrell and solved the problem , shoots great now and I would have never found it

hunter44a

I reloaded some Hornady SSTs with 31 grains of H335. Got bullet touching lands pretty good and managed 1 inch grops at 25yds. I know thats not great but it beats the 3 and 4 inch groups I was getting

Attachments

• 20230205_165222.jpg
    20230205_165222.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 1

NMH5050

I almost sold my TC Pro Hunter before someone recommended a 1 piece scope mount because of the same issue. Its been my favorite gun for over 10 years now since I put a DNZ mount on it.

hunter44a

I almost sold my TC Pro Hunter before someone recommended a 1 piece scope mount because of the same issue. Its been my favorite gun for over 10 years now since I put a DNZ mount on it.
Thats not a bad idea

deast1988

Scope, check base, check for any loose forend screws, get a trigger job, have them check for the action to be throughly locked up, clean the barrel to spotless, maybe break it in, shoot 5 clean, shoot 5 more clean repeat this a few times, it should shoot. Just have to diagnose why it’s not currently.

hunter44a

Scope, check base, check for any loose forend screws, get a trigger job, have them check for the action to be throughly locked up, clean the barrel to spotless, maybe break it in, shoot 5 clean, shoot 5 more clean repeat this a few times, it should shoot. Just have to diagnose why it’s not currently.
Im leaning towards the right load. Trigger work would help. And getting a good solid scope mount is a good idea. So far changing powder and bullets has helped a lot