Team #10 "10th legion"

dobenator

Today

Well I come to the thread today with a heavy heart. Went this morning by myself cause Blake couldnt go. Birds hammered all morning, about 8:30 I am answering nature and suprise!!! 2 big gobblers come strutting into my set. Luckily I am in a blind and dont get busted, although now I wish I had. They strutted and drummed for 45 minutes never coming into range. Finally as I thought they were about to leave, I thought they were in range. Well they must have been a touch farther than I thought cause I hit him low!. I actually trailed blood for over 100 yds!! Well I never found him and am sick about it!! Hope I havent messed up my honey hole. Be back after em next week. Taking time off for Masters just to hunt.

mtstephens18

man that sucks dobenator! well at least you are seeing and hearing birds... i hunted from daylight to dark today , walked about 15 miles up and down mountains, and tried every trick in the book , and havent heard a peep and havent seen a bird (except the ones crossing the roads, and in private fields). i dont know what else to do, besides just keep going and hopefully get lucky, i just cant get one to gobble for nothin right now.... and that makes for hard hunting , for me anyway , i hate blind calling but i have done it off and on all day today and still nothing.... hopefully i can get something to act right soon

turkeyed

Dobenator I hate to hear that. I have always wanted to kill one with a bow but the thought of having that happen has kept me from trying it so far.

I'm headed out to a WMA in the morning and to a piece of private land with a friend tomorrow. Maybe I can break the ice for the year. I will let yall know what happens.

dobenator

My grandson and i are headed to a new spot in the morning. feel really good about it. Just across the river from where we have been.

turkeyed

Well guys heard a couple this morning but they were not on the WMA. They were across the river in a field. Oh well. Going with a friend in the morning to his families farm that does not get any pressure. He says its loaded with birds. hopefully it will come together. He is first on the trigger since he has never killed one.

gobble157

Sorry guys! I'm not out of the loop. I've been going through a lot the past couple weeks with my family and its been quite difficult. I'm still going at it, which I'll be hunting tomorrow morning in Alabama just north of my house in Florida. I'm headed to SC this upcoming weekend for a hunt, so I hope to get a few longbeards on the board soon enough. I'll keep you fellers posted! Take care and God bless!

David

mtstephens18

hope everything is ok david! good luck! guys im gonna try to go a day or two this week before work and then go this weekend... they just are not acting right around here... nothing but silence.... i am already getting really frustrated because i should normally have at least one down by now.. im gonna keep on with it though

Romo

Just going to let ya'll kno that Turkeyed knocked down a couple of em today. Congrats turkeyed. UH..TAG I'M IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

turkeyed

April 4th - what a day! (Long Post)

Well where I begin. I got up early this morning at picked my friend Allen up at his house just down the road. We drove about an hour to Elbert County to some family land of his. All the way there we talk turkey hunting. See Allen has never turkey hunted until this year. Before season started we were talking about it one day and he stated that he would love to try it and wanted to get a call or two and practice. I told him that I had everything he needed to just come by the house. I gave him a vest, slate call, and a box call. I walked him through how to run the calls and the basics of turkey hunting. Allen went out on his own the first two weekends and tried to lure in a big gobbler. Well in speaking he says that he has a place with turkeys and we made a plan to hit it today.

On the ride we discuss gobbling, setups, and calls. Allen was a giddy as a kid on Christmas morning. Well we arrived at our hunting location and slowly slipped to the edge of a food plot and listened for the first gobble of Allen’s turkey hunting career. Well day breaks and nothing. I mean not eve n the sound of a hen awakening from her nightly sleep. We walk a short distance into the woods and pick our first set-up. We call a little and still nothing. Allen tells me that there is another food plot at the back of the property where he has seen turkeys several different times while deer hunting. So we make the decision to move. We arrive at the food plot after calling every 100 yards or so on the way with no response. We get good vantage point and dig in for a long sit. After about an hour and a half Allen says, "I see something." I slowly turn and see what Allen is talking about. I see a lone hen in the field. A couple minutes later he says that he sees more in the woods behind the hen and one of them keeps puffing up. I look though the bino's and see a gobbler just in the woods. I see that Allen in visibly shaking. He says my heart is pounding. I give a few soft yelps. Nothing. I cut, yelp, cluck. Nothing. They hang out for about 30-40 minutes never coming any closer. We sit until 11o'clock or so. I tell him let’s give it a break and get some lunch.

After we get back from lunch we head back to the same food plot. By this time I could tell that Allen was frustrated. I put-out a B-mobile with a Jake fan and a hen decoy. We got set-up at 1pm on the nose. We set-up off the side of the plot in the middle. Allen was facing the way we had seen the birds earlier and I faced up the hill in the opposite direction. At 1:50pm I give out yelp and some fighting purrs with my diaphragm and a glass pot call. Not but 2-3 minutes later I look up and I see red heads running down the food plot towards us. I tell Allen, here they come. They stop about 60 yards out and start heading back in the woods. I give a soft purr and a cluck. They come back out and see the decoys this time. They start walking toward us again. Allen says shoot'em. I said when I shoot you turn and shoot one of the other ones. There were five in the group. The lead two were long beards. The third a jake and could not tell what other two were. When the lead bird breaks the 30 yard mark BOOM! Longbeard in the dirt! Allen spins around and BOOM! Not sure if he hit or missed. I see a longbeard standing mere feet from the first longbeard I shot. BOOM! 2nd lonbeard in the dirt! Allen shoots again and I see a bird turn a flip about 50 yards out. Wow! We jump up and celebrate. We thank the lord and high five each other.

Allen got his first bird a jake with 3 1/2 in beard, nub spurs that weighted 15lbs.

I got two longbeards: #1 - 1 inch spurs, 9 1/2 inch beard and 21 lbs. #2 - 1 inch spurs, 9 inch beard and 16lbs.

Turns out there were 4 longbeards and a jake in the group.

I had such a wonderful time. I will be going back with Allen shortly to hopefully to hear his first gobble and get his first long beard. We were very excited and called friends and family to tell them about our hunt. We arrive back at my house and clean the birds. I teach Allen how to process the turkey. Allen gets ready to go home and tells me that he is hooked and can't wait to do it again. He also stats that he learned so much in one day on turkey hunting. I was just thankful to be able to enjoy the day with a good friend. Thant is what its all about.

Attachments

• P1010074.jpg
    P1010074.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 148
  • P1010068.jpg
    P1010068.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 146
  • P1010062.jpg
    P1010062.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 147

turkeyed

Well guys. Yall wanna enter both or just one. I'm leaning towards both and only entering another if it has bonus points. Whats yalls thoughts.

turkeyed

Sorry guys! I'm not out of the loop. I've been going through a lot the past couple weeks with my family and its been quite difficult. I'm still going at it, which I'll be hunting tomorrow morning in Alabama just north of my house in Florida. I'm headed to SC this upcoming weekend for a hunt, so I hope to get a few longbeards on the board soon enough. I'll keep you fellers posted! Take care and God bless!

David

I hope all is ok. Good luck and be safe!

turkeyed

I decided to enter both of them. Maybe we can replace on later on with the wildcard. We are still pretty far behind. We need several more birds. How is it looking for everyone?

You should enter both, you will have to if matt cant kill one. He might hit one on his way to the woods if yall get lucky.

Gator8em

Ive been snake bit the first 2 weeks but looking to turn it around in the next 2. Work as pretty much kept me out of the woods during the week, but that should ease up in rest of April. I have had longbeards in range 3 out of 6 hunts so far. I havent fired a shot for various reasons (greed, silent birds and thickets). Im on birds, the bad luck cant last forever. I hope.

turkeyed

Ive been snake bit the first 2 weeks but looking to turn it around in the next 2. Work as pretty much kept me out of the woods during the week, but that should ease up in rest of April. I have had longbeards in range 3 out of 6 hunts so far. I havent fired a shot for various reasons (greed, silent birds and thickets). Im on birds, the bad luck cant last forever. I hope.

Stick with it and the stars will aline at some point for sure. Good luck and be safe this weekend!