Team #10 "10th legion"

dobenator

Good job Turkeyed!!!! I say we just keep on entering em til we limit!! I have had no luck this week, went this afternoon and seem like every time I walked around a curve in the woods road, there was a turkey there. I aint no Danl Boone thats for sure!! Back after em in the morning!!!

ts602

Great story Eddie. I'm glad you got to introduce Allen to turkey hunting. He had a great teacher. Congrats to you and Allen.

mtstephens18

no luck again today.... finally heard a couple gobble way off, but time we got closer to them they were quiet..... i could have killed a jake but didnt, and never heard another sound all day

gobble157

Congrats on the kills guys! I'm still hunting and have a long trip ahead later this month so things are looking up. Just crazy year with all that's going on. Will be sure to fill you guys in soon. Good luck and God bless!

Happy Easter and remember what tomorrow is all about!

David

Gator8em

Happy Easter Indeed, Mr. Ed! I got one in the box by 8:15 and still made it to Church to celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ!

I started the morning out by walking into a creek bottom I have been working birds the last few trips. I sat down by a tree, took out my Bible and started reading John 20 and 21. I prayed awhile and Thanked the Lord for a beautiful morning and the opportunity to chase wily ol' longbeards.

The first bird gobbled at 6:50 and I took about 10 steps in his direction when I heard one gobble back towards the truck. I listened for a minute to determine which was hotter. The bird back towards the truck was gobbling 3 to 1 over the one in the bottom so away I went. I slipped down an old road till I was about 200 yards out then went into the woods and creeped to about 150. The woods were fairly open pines and he was still on the limb so I dared not go any further. I found an empty seat and prepared to go to work. I pulled out my wing and when I thought the time was right, I flew down. No cackles just wing beats. Silence. I waited intently for a sign of acknowledgement. Silence. I ran through a sequence of clucks and purrs while the thought of this bird being henned up crept into my head. I waited about 5 minutes, then I gave out a plain little yelp to check him. He fired back about 70 yards to the left of the tree where he spent the night. I waited 2 or 3 minutes before I ran through a little more clucking and purring. After a minute or 2, I could hear him spittin and drummin. It was faint at first but definitely getting closer. This bird was spittin and drummin constantly. I knew any minute I would be able to see him but the suspence was killing me. Finally he steps from behind a tree at 50 yds. There was a little thicket between him and I but I could see him plainly. Then I noticed the hens, four of them. Pecking in my direction, they came to about 30 yards. One of the hens, looked like an old girl, got her hackles raised and picked a fight with one of the young maids. They got into a little quarrel and ran right back to the gobbler, who never broke strut and was now just inside 50. He was still covered up by brush but there was a hole. I needed him to go to left about 3 yards. I yelped really quitely to keep them around until he would do so. Finally he circled a little wide as he strutted around the hens and I let the 870 loose. 10" beard and 1" spurs on an absolutely gorgeous morning. Thank you Jesus.

Gator8em

Pictures submitted for team review:shoot::yeah::banana:

Attachments

• IMG_0631 (364x488).jpg
    IMG_0631 (364x488).jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0633 (364x488).jpg
    IMG_0633 (364x488).jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0641 (364x488).jpg
    IMG_0641 (364x488).jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 113

mtstephens18

awesome story GATOR8EM!!! the only thing i see is you may wanna take another picture of the beard measurement its kinda hard to see both ends of the tape, maybe lay the tape beside the beard if you still got the bird intact.... congrats!!

dobenator

Congrats Gator!! Good job!
My place is too far for a short hunt so I didnt go this morning:(:(

mtstephens18

well we went again this evening to where we heard three gobbling yesterday , nothing..... we set up on some scratching and a dust bowl and just soft called and scratched in the leaves from 4:30 til dark and never heard or seen anything... the gobbling is almost non existent around here and its almost impossible to get on a bird right now... im sorry i havent done any good yet.... i am hunting sign, and im hunting as much as possible, the birds are just not cooperating

turkeyed

Guys I have to work all week but starting Friday I'm off for two weeks. I will be hunting in NW GA, KY, and then on GA/FLA Line. Hopefully I can get a couple more. Maybe one with some bonus points.

Gator8em

Good Luck. I'm looking at a couple four day weekends the next 2 weeks, finally. This team has started slow but there is plenty of time and potential.

turkeyed

Good Luck. I'm looking at a couple four day weekends the next 2 weeks, finally. This team has started slow but there is plenty of time and potential.

Good Luck to you as well.

You are right we are slow out of the gate but if we keep killing a bird or two a week we will be in the running.

turkeyed

Just a couple more days until my hunting begins. I just cant wait. Hopefully I will be able to enter my last bird by this time next week. I will keep yall updated as much as possible while we are gone. Good luck to everyone.

mtstephens18

good luck eddie. call me throughout the hunts and let me know whats going on . im still working on it guys, im gonna go this weekend, and im still gonna try to go some through the week , its just hard to do .... good luck everybody

mtstephens18

finally thank god i got a bird on the ground!!! this year has been horrible for me until this morning.... working on pics now

mtstephens18

thought he was gonna get bonus points for spurs but didnt quite make it, 9 3/4 inch beard and 1 1/8 spurs . are these pics ok?
GEDC0216.jpg
IMG_1337.JPG