Team 19 Run-N-Gun

Fire Dawg 20

didnt get a pic of the phone in the pic. DQ'd. The phone is in my hand....lol. just wasnt thinking. oh well i will be sure to get a pic next time. sorry guys.

doghuntin

congrats on a good bird !! Called a jake in this morning first thing, let him pass on and then I moved to another plot. Befor I set up I hit the call a few times to see if anything was close, and two gobblers came bustin out about 50 yds but didn't see me. I hit the dirt and slowly got ready, they came a little closer and I realized they were young gobblers. Maybe 6-7 inch beards and short spurs, I let them strut off across the plot and out of site. Hopefully a bigger one will come out tomorrow.

doghuntin

Bird # 2 is on the ground, 10 1/2'' beard 24 pounds and 1'' spur and 1 1/8'' spur. Try and get some pics up afterwhile, hope everyone has a good morning hunting !!

jdthayer

That's awesome doghuntin! I am not having much luck. Birds were scarce yesterday. Had one Jake gobbling and came in to our set-up and didn't like the other Jake (all I can figure) and left after staring our dekes down for about 3 minutes. It's been a ruff year so far, and I can't go as much as I'd like. I wish I could be more help to y'all, but my 4 year non-killing streak is continuing. There's still a while to go, so hopefully. Fire Dawg, that stinks about your bird. I tried to call and let you know, but I figured you'd done had that bird ready for the fryer already. Good luck to all! I'll be back at it next weekend and hope and pray I can contribute!

jdthayer

Gonna let y'all know: everyone I've been talking to in North GA says the birds have been getting pretty hot this week. As you can see, there's mixed reports on the forum. Just giving y'all the scoop I've recently heard. Gonna try and go Saturday after boys' ballgames and hunt til Sunday night. Good luck to all of you, and Doghuntin, hopefully the rest of us will catch up with you soon. I still hate it for you, Fire Dawg....... Y'all kill em all!

doghuntin

I hope they get fired up this weekend, been seeing some birds where I hunt at but none are gobbling much. Taking a friends kid in the morning again to try and get his first bird, then its on this weekend to get another. good luck to everyone

Fire Dawg 20

Took the whole week off to see if i can kill a couple of birds. Ready to Rock and roll em up!

jdthayer

Best of luck!

I was hoping to get up to Habersham to hunt with yathis week, Kevin, but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen. I figure you'll limit out this week, so don't disappoint us! Just kidding. Good luck!

I hope y'alls luck is going better than mine. I only got to hunt Sat. eve and Sunday morning, which turned out to be a no-hunt Sunday morning. I woke up with a migraine (never had one before), and now I can sympathize with those who have them often. It was the worst feeling I can remember having in a long time. Throwing up and everything! (Not much will keep me from turkey hunting when I am free to go) So, I did not get to hunt Sunday. I did have a few hens come in Sat. So, this weekend I'm off to Mississippi to hunt back home. Hopefully that will change my luck, if not, it will go a long with my last few years of turmoil! I wish all of you the best of luck and many inches of spurs and beards in the next few weeks!

On a side note: (tell me if this doesn't hit home!) My youngest son joined me in the woods Sat. evening and proceeded to tell me, "Dad, you used to be a good turkey hunter, but now you're not!" He was dead serious! No smile at all. They get so disappointed when I come home empty handed. I thought y'all might get a kick out of that!

Last edited:

jdthayer

Called in one for a good friend this a.m. on team 34. We were on his club and the 3 year old came in on his side, so he got her done! It was one of the funnest hunts I can remember. We (team effort as he didn't want to die) killed a coyote that spooked another bird we were working just seconds before his demise! I can't wait to do it again. Mississippi bound this weekend!

Attachments

• securedownload[1].jpg
    securedownload[1].jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 109

ckckbritt

Well finally got to the woods yesterday. Heard a couple gobble but left empty handed. But it was nice to be out! Snakes are also out enjoying the nice weather, stepped on a 5ft black snake sunning on my path out!

Queen

He's not home yet but Thayer rolled one in Mississipi so 5 more for you guys

Last edited:

doghuntin

glad he finally got one this season, got on one about mid morning and chased him up and down a creek bottom for about two hours. I'll be back on him in the morning, good luck to everyone !!

jdthayer

Finally!

Well, guys, after a four year dry spell I got her done! Had to go home to Mississippi and let my professional calling brother help me out. He has a nack for really taking their temperatures. Anyway, this was also my first bird in 8 years in MS (haven't been going there much) but we had a blast. I killed this one at 7 pm on the nose. I hate to admit, but I misjudged a high noon gobbler and sent him head over heals in the dirt only to find a few feathers upon walking to him! I was more disgusted than ever! I thought the world would end! Well, the good Lord allowed me to redeem myself with this bird later that afternoon. Redemption is the sweetest victory ever!

This was also the first day this property had been hunted since opening weekend there. My noon missed gobbler was a surprise as we just walked 100 yards from the truck, blew a crow call, and boom! Not 100 yards from us he hammers! I rushed the shot as 65 yards is not ideal (go figure!). He looked closer:biggrin2:.

Anyway, a lot of firsts for me on Saturday: first miss; first afternoon bird; and first kill with my 835 my wife bought me a few years ago when I finished EMT school. You could not kick the smile from my face!
On another note, I told y'all my brother was a professional, well, he used to call a lot in the MS circuit. Won third in state in calling and first in owl hooting (natural voice) and got third in World in owl hooting in 2002. He got aggressive setting up blind that evening w/a custom made box call. I told him he was calling too loud and too much. Five minutes later, one hammered in the swamp! 20 min. later I dusted (rather mudded as this was a swwwwaaaammmmpy area)! Thought that tidbit of info might interest some of you as they are usually a couple of weeks ahead of us on breeding, gobbling, etc. Lets win this thing! (maybe:huh:)

Attachments

• Mississippi April '10 010.jpg
    Mississippi April '10 010.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Mississippi April '10 013.jpg
    Mississippi April '10 013.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 46

jdthayer

Forgot to mention, we think this might be the same bird I missed earlier that day. He had some missing feathers on his upper wings and back area. One dumb bird if so!
Also, we spent all three mornings chasing a trio of gobblers that have been together all season. A buddy of mine missed one 2 weeks ago and they have become extremely call shy. Tried every trick in the book except "deer hunting" them which will be next on the list for them (they still roost in the same general area every day). My brother and friend have a vendetta against these birds that I was dragged into, so maybe they'll luck up! Good luck to all of you!

Fire Dawg 20

Man i cant wait to get back in the woods! I have been working almost nonstop for the past two weeks and i have another week of work ahead of me. Last time i went i had 3 hogs come up on me. Gonna kill them if i can! Hate those things. Maybe i will be back in the woods in a couple of days. Hope everyone is getting plenty of hunting time. Good luck!

jdthayer

Fire Dawg, I feel your pain. Haven't been back since my trip to MS, but plan on it early next week! Reckon them birds in Habersham are tearing it up yet? I haven't been to my public land spot there yet, as I've yet to kill one on my paid club. I need to get my money's worth there first. Haven't even been there in three weeks as I've had other invites and out of state hunting. Good luck to all of y'all! Still 22 days left of season!

jdthayer

Had one gobbling at everything I threw at him Monday morning, tried a second set-up as he wasn't getting any closer, and never heard another peep. This time of year has always been the roughest. Hope you all are doing well and hope to see some kills this weekend. I'm going after the "Hilltop" gobbler on my club again this weekend. I haven't officially named him, but that's what I refer to him as. I've never had any luck after naming one. I know we probably don't have a chance at winning this thing, but it's still fun to keep up with it all. Good luck to you all!

jdthayer

Never heard the "hilltop" gobbler or any other last weekend. We had a work day on Saturday (I made them swear to never do that in turkey season again) and didn't hear a thing except two hens on the nest. I don't know when I'll make it back to the woods, so good luck to you all if you are still chasing them. I've never killed one in May, so I don't have too high of hopes. Some folks on here are getting doubles again, hopefully meaning they are in bachelor groups again looking for love........ Our chances of winning this are slim to none, but everyone who enters a gobbler is available for the random drawing. Good luck again y'all!

jdthayer

Well, guys, I don't know if you all still look at this, but not the best year by far. I had a lot of fun and heard a lot of gobbling, just didn't have the most cooperative birds. I hope you all had fun anyway. Wish I could have gotten to hear some hen music with each of you, but logistically I could never make it happen. May you all have a great summer and kill a Booner this Fall! Enjoyed it!