Team 19 Run-N-Gun

jdthayer

Well, guys, I'm wrapped up for the weekend. I had some birds gobbling (all on adjoining property across the swamp) this morning and one yesterday evening was hammering on the adjoining property. I got as close as I could and had him slowly coming, then a pack of coyotes began yapping and barking in between us on the edge of the swamp. The gobbler hammered everytime they sounded, but he turned the other way. Wish I could've seen them yotes and done some population control. Anyway, I had two guys from the club ask to come with me this morning as they are farely new to turkey hunting. Truthfully, I hope I walked them to death and they will quit. I know it's selfish, but neither one of them really had a clue or knew the rules. Ever here of chasing turkeys w/a .22 caliber? Long story, and I hope lesson learned.
I hope you all have hammered some long beards and are just taking your time getting them posted. If not, we still have a long season ahead, and the best days are yet to come. Good luck and hunting!

Last edited:

jdthayer

Oh, forgot to mention, had a bearded hen around me after those other guys left (they quit at 8 am when it started sprinkling). She had a 8-9" pencil beard and yelped like no other hen I've heard here in GA. Awesome experience! Gave me a show for about 20 minutes.

JSpinks

Heard plenty of birds this weekend but everything seemed to be hened up. OUt of the 10 or so different birds heard, called one in to about sixty yards and locked up with a hen. Would not come any closer with her by his side. I feel pretty good about the next few weeks from the numbers I am hearing so far. Is everyone else dealing with birds getting quiet as soon as they hit the ground? I bet I only heard 15 gobbles from birds on the ground. Everything was in the tree.

ckckbritt

We heard no birds this weekend at all in morgan county, called a few jakes and hens in but no tom's. We'll try again

doghuntin

Worked a good one today but couldn't close the deal, about 11:00 had a super nice gobbler come out on the food plot I was on. The only bad thing was he had 7 hens with him and would not leave them for nothing. Watched him strut and dance for about a hour and a half, I wouldn't be afraid to say he has 10+ inches of beard and some monster hooks. Going to be set up in the morning where he was coming in to the plot last year and maybe get lucky.

jdthayer

Got outnumbered and maneuvered by henrietta this morning. Had one coming in hot, til I was cut off. Third time on the bird w/o seeing him. He's had hens every day except for the afternoon the coyotes messed me up. Not much gobblin this morning except for him. Good luck y'all. I only hope and pray I can contribute some on here. My dad has killed two and called in another one for a friend in Mississippi. That's where I should be this week instead of late April. We'll get 'em though!

doghuntin

We're in the contest now, wasn't the bird I was after but not to bad either. I'll get my wife to post the pics when she gets back home, 10 3/4'' beard, 1'' spurs, and 23.7 pounds. Could not make him gobble, but I fired up one of his hens and she came to check out what was going on and he made the mistake of following.

doghuntin

thanks ckckbritt, my wife can't get the pics to download on here. I don't know what else to do to try and get them to post

jdthayer

Way to go doghuntin! PM sent. Hopefully we can all give you some help soon. Did ya score in AL or GA?

Fire Dawg 20

guys these birds have been kicking my butt the past week. I have heard birds every day but cant close the deal. Gonna keep on trying! Good luck guys

ckckbritt

Thats all we can do is try, hope to get a afternoon hunt in this Thursday. It figures work starts to pic up when season gets here, but I'm sure glad to get it!!

jdthayer

I still think the best is yet to come..... Gonna be some lonely gobblers in a week or two or three. This year seems later than most, but by the looks on this forum, maybe not. I haven't been since last Wednesday but am going again Friday. Hate having two jobs, but I can't complain. A lot of folks are jobless. We still have a shot at this, y'all! Six weeks of season left!

Fire Dawg 20

Well guys, ole longbeard hit the ground yesterday. 22 lbs 10-5/8 inch beard, 1-1/4 spurs. trying to load the pictures but it will not let me load the 2nd pic. trying to get it uploaded!

jdthayer

I'm leaving out this afternoon to my bro-in-law's and my clubs to hunt tomorrow. He claims his club is covered up w/birds but they get a lot of pressure as most of the members were down opening weekend. We'll see. I've been trying to get him a gob for 7 years w/o success in two states! This is our first time out together this year and will hopefully break that curse! I'm praying to good Lord for some success. Good luck to all this weekend! I'm only getting to go tomorrow as work and kids take precedence (most of the time:bounce:). Have a happy Easter to all!

jdthayer

Fire Dawg, check your pictures. Needs phone, you, and bird all in same picture or it'll be DQ'd. Congrats on the bird!!!!!!